ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814077)

ob1quixote 08-02-2012 05:02 PM

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

My project is to make my Galaxy Tab a GPS mapping machine for plotting new enduro trail live in the woods, on an aerial photo overlay, with no WiFi or cell connection.

I downloaded Path Away, but was unable to get the aerial overlay, could very well have been operator error!

Got the Trimble Outdoor Navigator and had an overlay before I knew it! It caches the map tiles for use offline. I have downloaded aerial hybrid tiles for the general area around Wilkesboro NC, where I will be riding a DS this weekend, and plan to do some preliminary testing.

Dont know about y'all, but my eyes are too old to be looking at matchbook sized display screens!

ob1quixote 09-18-2012 07:41 AM

So far, so good! My homebrewed handlebar mount survived 95 miles at the LBL 200! Snagged a nice track of the days run, but got to do some more homework on the app and get more comfortable with it.

ob1quixote 09-22-2012 01:56 PM

The bike side of my mount. Had this clamp on deal lying around, riveted a plate of aluminum to it and a strip of industrial self adhesive velcro. Stuck the other side to a modified clip on holder from an ebay seller.

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/928/tabmount.jpg

Myway 09-27-2012 10:44 AM

Interesting, no response to your thread, most people are not that far, like to hear you get along.

ob1quixote 09-27-2012 03:00 PM

A response! Hell, I thought I was on everyone's ignore list, except the view count would climb. Maybe onboard tablets arent where folks are headed, but I'm having fun with it!

I am looking into the possibility of taking a picture{s} of a roll chart route sheet and arranging it to be a big screen electronic route sheet for dual sport rides

Geezerider 10-02-2012 08:14 AM

Have you run power to it? If not, how long does the battery last with GPS on and a Nav app loaded?

I have one also but find that my Nav app (CoPilot) is a bit cumbersome to mess with. I also have a nasty tendency to find popup thunderstorms...

ob1quixote 10-02-2012 08:20 AM

I have mounted a cigarette lighter under the bar clamps, and have a lighter/USB power adapter, but haven't used it yet. I got about 5-6 hours on the battery. Gotta be sure to turn off everything you aren't using, like WiFi and screen rotation. I used a free app called Screen Time to override the hibernation timer.

MrMac 10-02-2012 09:31 AM

Interesting.. I'm experimenting with a Galaxy Player 4.2 as GPS. I've had an intermittent problem with power delivery via the Cig. lighter plug. The HTC adapter I have for my phone seemed to work most of the time, but then apparently got to the point where it could not keep up with the power demand (running both music and CoPilot navigation.) The Player kept beeping at me (I guess the warning that is wasn't charging) until I finally just switched back to using my phone. Picked up a Rocketfish 'premium' vehicle charger a couple of days ago that the geek kid at Best Buy said *might* fix the problem. So far it is working, but I've only tried it for a day. Still need to test it some more before I'm satisfied it'll work all the time..

I'd like to hear how your power setup works out..!

Geezerider 10-02-2012 10:06 AM

I use a lighter->USB adapter in the car and it barely keeps pace, even when I run on one CPU and dim screen. If I plug it in with 50% battery showing, after a couple hours on the road I am still at 50% battery.

My suction cup mount is not strong enough to keep the levered weight mounted on the car's windshield. I have to mount it lodged in the console. In that shielded location the GPS antenna still supplies adequate location info.

ob1quixote 10-02-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMac (Post 19727800)
Interesting.. I'm experimenting with a Galaxy Player 4.2 as GPS. I've had an intermittent problem with power delivery via the Cig. lighter plug. The HTC adapter I have for my phone seemed to work most of the time, but then apparently got to the point where it could not keep up with the power demand (running both music and CoPilot navigation.) The Player kept beeping at me (I guess the warning that is wasn't charging) until I finally just switched back to using my phone. Picked up a Rocketfish 'premium' vehicle charger a couple of days ago that the geek kid at Best Buy said *might* fix the problem. So far it is working, but I've only tried it for a day. Still need to test it some more before I'm satisfied it'll work all the time..

I'd like to hear how your power setup works out..!

I spotted a high amperage lighter/USB charger the other day...I plan on getting it. I would love to run my tab with the screen on "full" and have the power supply to do it. The charger claimed 1.2 amps, I would think that would do, eh?

I noticed that the cig lighter plug like to walk it's way out of the socket when using my Garmin nav GPS. I added a zip tie to loop around the plug to keep it from walking out, works fine.

abhibeckert 10-02-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ob1quixote (Post 19730477)
The charger claimed 1.2 amps, I would think that would do, eh?

Maybe.

I know the latest iPad has a 2 amp charger (on the USB side, which is 5 volts), and it takes a ridiculously long time to charge compared to older models, so 2 amps is probably barely enough for it.

Your tablet has a much smaller and lower resolution screen... but it's CPU probably uses more power than the one in an iPad. It might depend what mapping apps you are running (as in how hard the CPU is working). Let us know how you go. :-)

Also... I think the battery is harder to charge when it's above about 80% (the charging circuitry switches to a different mode around that point). So, if you are right on the limit of how much power you need, it might be able to hold the battery at about 80% but not keep it at 100%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ob1quixote (Post 19730477)
I noticed that the cig lighter plug like to walk it's way out of the socket when using my Garmin nav GPS. I added a zip tie to loop around the plug to keep it from walking out, works fine.

Yeah, they are far from vibration proof. I wrap the whole thing up in electrical tape. Helps keep dust out as well as keeping it in place.

FixerDave 10-03-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ob1quixote (Post 19272940)
My project is to make my Galaxy Tab a GPS mapping machine for plotting new enduro trail live in the woods, on an aerial photo overlay, with no WiFi or cell connection.
Dont know about y'all, but my eyes are too old to be looking at matchbook sized display screens!

Exactly my reasoning for moving to an Android tablet from the Garmin. BIGGER screen. Well, cheaper too, and more options, and ...

I fabbed up a custom mount on rubber grommets but it still doesn't cut the vibration as much as I'd like. I also had to make custom maps and a sun shade to see the screen properly. How much vibration does your mounting system transmit to the tablet? How well does the Galaxy Tab screen do for daylight readability? Can you even see the terrain overlays while out riding on a nice day?

I went full-on custom for maps which were an insane amount of work to figure out and get to a point where they were useful, but I can do anything I want with them now. Switching to a terrain overlay, with or without ways and points on top of that, would be trivial... now. However, with my CyberNav (cheap Chinese Android tablet), I doubt the terrain overlay would do anything other than obscure the road information while out riding. No point doing that, at least with this device. Maybe the next one.

Oh, and I'm running mine on a dollar-store cig-lighter to USB adaptor - charges just fine while in use and the 5" screen CyberNav actually runs quite hot (even when just on battery) so it's not the most energy efficient design out there. I suspect one smartphone issue would be the actual cell radio. When out of your typical urban cell coverage, cellphones will switch from digital to analogue mode and this take WAY more power. If you've ever been in a dead-zone and noticed your cell battery died in an few hours instead of 2 days... well, now you know why. This may be why people are having issues with powering their smartphones from adaptors while riding out in the sticks. No direct experience here as my CyberNav has no cell radio in it.

David...

P.S. I've one event and near 1000Km of trail bashing on my tablet and I'm loving it. It's holding up surprisingly well, considering it cost me $115 new. Even the (resistive) screen is still fairly good considering it's been coated in dust and had gloved hands jabbing at it and dragging around while riding. No screen protector, nothin'

MrMac 10-04-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FixerDave (Post 19741652)

..........snip.......

Oh, and I'm running mine on a dollar-store cig-lighter to USB adaptor - charges just fine while in use and the 5" screen CyberNav actually runs quite hot (even when just on battery) so it's not the most energy efficient design out there. I suspect one smartphone issue would be the actual cell radio. When out of your typical urban cell coverage, cellphones will switch from digital to analogue mode and this take WAY more power. If you've ever been in a dead-zone and noticed your cell battery died in an few hours instead of 2 days... well, now you know why. This may be why people are having issues with powering their smartphones from adaptors while riding out in the sticks. No direct experience here as my CyberNav has no cell radio in it.

...........snip........

Actually, my HTC phone works fine anywhere on any adapter. It is the Galaxy Player (4.2 in. screen); no phone, no data, (only WiFi where available, and usually turned off), that has been a problem. Even in the house, it will not charge on some AC/USB adapters. Others work fine. I think there is something screwy with Samsung devices..

ob1quixote 10-04-2012 07:45 AM

I thing thing screwy thing is in the Samsung proprietary cable pin-out. I bought a Duracellmbrand multi charger that seems to work well. It has a cig lighter plug body, and a fold down AC plug made into it, and a USB output. I use the Samsung cable even though it came with juice adapter plugs.

divotdm 10-04-2012 03:10 PM

do any of the apps record tracks? Also interested in how sunlight viewable this setup is

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:42 AM.