ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Some Assembly Required (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   kx250 frame + lifan questions (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816021)

Tr25w 08-09-2012 01:23 PM

kx250 frame + lifan questions
 
My friend has a 92 kx250 roller(no motor). I see these lifan 200cc motors and thought it might be a good combo. What would be needed for the wiring since a kx250 doesnt have a battery?

tntmo 08-09-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr25w (Post 19322086)
My friend has a 92 kx250 roller(no motor). I see these lifan 200cc motors and thought it might be a good combo. What would be needed for the wiring since a kx250 doesnt have a battery?

You'd probably be best to just get an entire Chinese 200cc dirt bike and rob everything you need including a wiring harness. Everything I read about them says that the strong point is the engine, and the frame/suspension/wheels are junk.

ben2go 08-09-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tntmo (Post 19324675)
You'd probably be best to just get an entire Chinese 200cc dirt bike and rob everything you need including a wiring harness. Everything I read about them says that the strong point is the engine, and the frame/suspension/wheels are junk.

Pretty much what i have learned from people that I know that have them.

hugemoth 08-12-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr25w (Post 19322086)
My friend has a 92 kx250 roller(no motor). I see these lifan 200cc motors and thought it might be a good combo. What would be needed for the wiring since a kx250 doesnt have a battery?

You'll need the regulator/rectifier if you're going to run lights. It regulates the AC current as well as the DC. You'll also need the CDI unit and coil.

The Lifan 200 engine comes in at least 3 types, push rod, push rod with balance shaft, and OHC. I have the push rod type with balance shaft in my Lifan motorcycle. The engine is excellent if not overly powerful, it now has over 37,000 miles on it with no problems.

JagLite 08-12-2012 12:14 PM

Lifan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tntmo (Post 19324675)
You'd probably be best to just get an entire Chinese 200cc dirt bike and rob everything you need including a wiring harness. Everything I read about them says that the strong point is the engine, and the frame/suspension/wheels are junk.

+1
I am watching for a complete bike to transfer everything over to the RM250 rolling chassis I have.
It is much easier to start with a running bike than to figure out why it won't start when getting just an engine.
Lifan and several others have excellent reviews of their engines.

VxZeroKnots 08-12-2012 03:26 PM

I toyed with the idea of doing this to a 2000 RM 250 i have sitting around that I never ride. Keep us posted if you move forward.

hugemoth 08-13-2012 04:50 AM

Sellers of Lifan engines often supply everything you need as a kit. Engine, carb, manifold, CDI, rectifier/regulator, coil, kick start lever, shift lever, etc.. I've bought 3 engines this way and installed them in old Hondas. Makes it real easy. Wiring was straight forward and jetting in the supplied carbs was perfect.


Quote:

Originally Posted by JagLite (Post 19343068)
+1
I am watching for a complete bike to transfer everything over to the RM250 rolling chassis I have.
It is much easier to start with a running bike than to figure out why it won't start when getting just an engine.
Lifan and several others have excellent reviews of their engines.


bobfab 08-13-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugemoth (Post 19347870)
Sellers of Lifan engines often supply everything you need as a kit. Engine, carb, manifold, CDI, rectifier/regulator, coil, kick start lever, shift lever, etc.. I've bought 3 engines this way and installed them in old Hondas. Makes it real easy. Wiring was straight forward and jetting in the supplied carbs was perfect.

x2, thats what i have seen too!

JagLite 08-15-2012 01:53 PM

Lifan complete
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugemoth (Post 19347870)
Sellers of Lifan engines often supply everything you need as a kit. Engine, carb, manifold, CDI, rectifier/regulator, coil, kick start lever, shift lever, etc.. I've bought 3 engines this way and installed them in old Hondas. Makes it real easy. Wiring was straight forward and jetting in the supplied carbs was perfect.

That's good to know! Do you recommend any of the sellers? Link?

I should have clarified that I am looking for a complete bike that is street legal to transfer everything over to make my RM a street legal trail bike.
Our laws here in Alaska don't allow a bike to be made legal unless it came that way from the mfg and says so on the title.
I will just get the title changed when I install my "custom" frame and get a state supplied VIN #.
I hope to find a 200cc street bike donor eventually.

If you only want a dirt bike engine, the electrical on it is simple! :evil

hugemoth 08-21-2012 10:14 AM

Sorry about the delayed response, I've been doing some Lifan riding in the wilds of BC Canada.

I've bought new engine kits from hooperimports.com and dratv.com but I'm sure there are many other legit sellers.


Quote:

Originally Posted by JagLite (Post 19367836)
That's good to know! Do you recommend any of the sellers? Link?

I should have clarified that I am looking for a complete bike that is street legal to transfer everything over to make my RM a street legal trail bike.
Our laws here in Alaska don't allow a bike to be made legal unless it came that way from the mfg and says so on the title.
I will just get the title changed when I install my "custom" frame and get a state supplied VIN #.
I hope to find a 200cc street bike donor eventually.

If you only want a dirt bike engine, the electrical on it is simple! :evil


ibhayirob 10-26-2012 11:18 PM

hi there q

are you putting honda clone lifans in your bikes or is frame modification required

tks

rob






Quote:

Originally Posted by hugemoth (Post 19347870)
Sellers of Lifan engines often supply everything you need as a kit. Engine, carb, manifold, CDI, rectifier/regulator, coil, kick start lever, shift lever, etc.. I've bought 3 engines this way and installed them in old Hondas. Makes it real easy. Wiring was straight forward and jetting in the supplied carbs was perfect.


hugemoth 10-27-2012 05:32 AM

All the Lifan engines I've used are Honda clones. Minor grinding and drilling on the frame is required. These are the bikes I've done.

Lifan 110 into 1971 CT90.
Lifan 140 into 1968 CT90
Lifan 110 into 1965 Honda Cub

I also own a Lifan 200 GY5 motorcycle with the OHV vertical engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibhayirob (Post 19910074)
hi there q

are you putting honda clone lifans in your bikes or is frame modification required

tks

rob


Salsa 10-27-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugemoth (Post 19342618)
You'll need the regulator/rectifier if you're going to run lights. It regulates the AC current as well as the DC. You'll also need the CDI unit and coil.

The Lifan 200 engine comes in at least 3 types, push rod, push rod with balance shaft, and OHC. I have the push rod type with balance shaft in my Lifan motorcycle. The engine is excellent if not overly powerful, it now has over 37,000 miles on it with no problems.

Is the OHC better?

Which of the three is preferred?

Don

hugemoth 10-27-2012 10:51 AM

All the horizontal engines are OHC. The majority of vertical engines sold are OHV which they say have a better power curve for dirt bike and dual sport use. There were some OHC vertical engines used in street bikes imported to the US.

The OHV vertical engines are clones of the Honda CG125 which is one of the most bullet proof engines ever made. The OHC vertical engines will eventually wear out the cam chain but otherwise are very similar in design.

BTW Lifan makes many different engines including parallel twins, V twins, shaft drive engines, liquid cooled engines, forced air cooled scooter engines, generator engines, industrial engines, car and truck engines, etc..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsa (Post 19911762)
Is the OHC better?

Which of the three is preferred?

Don



Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014