ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Face plant (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   No longer a virgin - dropped it yesterday. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816789)

FlyFishJeff 08-12-2012 10:48 AM

No longer a virgin - dropped it yesterday.

There are two group's of riders, those that have dropped and those that will.

I moved from the latter into the former group yesterday.

Lesson learned: always put your uphill foot down after coming to a stop.

I am used to riding in very flat areas. After a gas stop in a very hiilly area in WV on my way to Pittsburgh. I came to a stop and attempted to put my left foot down as I always do. Surprise! The ground was a long way down, and the bike went over with a thud. It was a hell of a struggle picking it up since it had fallen over downhill of a steep incline.

The most damage was to my ego. Just a few scrapes on the corner of the Trax luggage, bar end, and engine guard. The bike has some character now, and so do I!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Ben Carufel 08-12-2012 11:48 AM

Welcome to the club! I've gotten used to dropping my 1150GSA now. I think I'm up to 4 drops at zero or one mile per hour. The most recent was last week in the parking lot of a Mexican food restaurant. I hopped off as it went over, stood there and had a good laugh about it, then got to the business of picking her up.

Such is life.

Ed~ 08-12-2012 02:33 PM

Fool of a Took!

I had to spend a bit to get a mental picture of what you were describing... then I got it.
Bwah ha ha ha!
:lol3

Come now, a Wee is not even that tall with the stock seat. Climb atop a KTM or XR and you'll see how/where you stop will really become a part of your riding consciousness.

BTW, even accounting for the extra weight, a GS is easier to pick up than most bikes due to the fairly high angle that the cylinder protectors help keep the bike "at rest".

sattwood3590 08-12-2012 02:51 PM

Yep...me too!

The first time I dropped my 1200GS was at the motorcycle races in Auburn, Ca. Good a nice round of applause from those that saw it. Oh well!

--Steve

FlyFishJeff 08-12-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed~ (Post 19343744)
Come now, a Wee is not even that tall with the stock seat. Climb atop a KTM or XR and you'll see how/where you stop will really become a part of your riding consciousness.

It's all relative to the inseam, my friend!

I would be dropping a KTM constantly on level ground! My 31 inch inseam pretty much eliminates the big orange bikes for me. :freaky

VegasDesertRat 08-12-2012 10:23 PM

On my XRL, I've dropped it at least 6 times from stop to 2 mph,:roflI have a 34" inseam,,:lurk
Glad I'm not alone....

FlyFishJeff 08-13-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasDesertRat (Post 19346989)
On my XRL, I've dropped it at least 6 times from stop to 2 mph,:roflI have a 34" inseam,,:lurk
Glad I'm not alone....

I posted the story of my drop for 2 reasons:

1. Hopefully somebody will avoid dropping the bike when stopping perpendicular on a hill by putting the UPHILL foot down.

2. Misery loves company!

67beertech 08-13-2012 05:57 AM

Welcome to the club....on a recent trip to Europe, I gently laid down my Dakar 4 times in the first 2 weeks. Bruised ego and bar ends......I suspect it wasn't the last time either.
I have found that picking up is easier facing away from the bike...and lift with your legs...must be somekind of leverage thingy...

Gillus 08-13-2012 08:42 AM

me too

I :muutt Saturday going two (2) mph in a gas station parking lot, taking off from a stop and turning and just fell over :huh......... Bike ('11 GSA) lost it's unscrathed patina and I was :baldy:becca:shog:cry

I try to use gravity and centrifugal precedence to my advantage but gravity won this time as the other had not taken effect yet

ZaethDekar 08-13-2012 08:52 AM

Sounds to me it almost seems like the bike might be the issue :-p

My Versys only layed down once.... Granted I have a 38" inseam and I too put my foot down on the downhill side, where there was also gravel.

I could only laugh when I fell over as my Gerbing gear connector brought me down with the bike so as I tried to skip away from the bike it pulled me back onto itself.

The Evil Twin 08-13-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaethDekar (Post 19349310)

I could only laugh when I fell over as my Gerbing gear connector brought me down with the bike so as I tried to skip away from the bike it pulled me back onto itself.

I'm imagining one of those paddles with the ball attached by a rubber band! Thanks for the chuckle :) I've been in the bike down club too. All you can do is pick it up and ride on!

FlyFishJeff 08-13-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaethDekar (Post 19349310)

:lol3 Going down with the ship!

crofrog 08-13-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyFishJeff (Post 19345171)
It's all relative to the inseam, my friend!

I would be dropping a KTM constantly on level ground! My 31 inch inseam pretty much eliminates the big orange bikes for me. :freaky

I've got a 30" inseam ride a bunch of different KTM's. It's about technique not getting your feet flat on the ground.

kevlar930 08-13-2012 01:57 PM

Been there, done that. I managed to do it on a K1200S. Downhill foot onto gravel. Over we went!

FlyFishJeff 08-13-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crofrog (Post 19351197)
I've got a 30" inseam ride a bunch of different KTM's. It's about technique not getting your feet flat on the ground.

You're awesome!

I don't think I'll ever be comfortable on a bike as tall as the KTM. Luckily, there are other bikes with lower seat heights for me.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:48 AM.