ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Celicas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817960)

assquatch20 08-15-2012 11:40 PM

Celicas

Who likes these things? Someone said I needed a car, so I just went out and picked one up today ('93 GT) so I don't have to do this winter in bundles every day. Threw some better rubber on the front and the damn thing felt like it was leaning into twisties on the way home. A sight better handling than the old GM steel I've owned. I'm feeling like quick thinking and luck might have rewarded me here.

Anyhow I've joined the appropriate forum and I'm reading up/chasing a couple little electrical things and hoping the price wasn't too good to be true. It sure ain't shiny, though. Think maroon, dents, and cancer. Like Barney after repeated government testing.

Aaanyways, any of you folks ever have one of these? What did ya think of it?

efendi 08-16-2012 12:05 AM

I owned two of them, a TA23 from 1977 and a TA40 from 1978. Loved them!

UnderNewOwnership 08-16-2012 12:16 AM

The 4WD Turbos were really cool.

Lesharoturbo 08-16-2012 05:45 AM

Had a 77 myself, a friend had a 89. I liked the old RWD cars better, but the FWD can handle pretty nice as well.

Pugsley/Hobbfather 08-16-2012 06:01 AM

'86 gt

Probably officially the slowest, poorest handling one of the bunch. First year of FWD, the old 3SFE from the first Gen Camry...nothing sorted about it, hatchback.

Loved it.

Wolfgang55 08-16-2012 07:33 AM

my old GF had one from the late 80s. 180,000 miles & no issues.

rapidoxidationman 08-16-2012 03:16 PM

1977 Celica GT was my first car. It'll hold 8 people:evil

Had a bit of a road race with my roommate on the day he picked his Saab up from the shop. It was a spirited ride home until my radar detector went off (he was in front of me). I made up for it by giving him a ride to court a few weeks later:lol3

That car got me out west. Good times.

seriousracer 08-16-2012 05:37 PM

Crashed out a pumped up 22r celica on Hiawatha trails pro rally in 1991 ..I miss that car. Still glad the driver did not try and make the turn...

KF7GTH 08-16-2012 06:51 PM

First car was a '79 GT liftback. I put about 100K on it in the three years I had it- boy I miss $1 a gallon gas- and changed the head gasket one winter in my parents back yard at age 17. Wound up with a half dozen "extra" bolts/nuts when done:lol3 and it still ran for another 40K before I sold it. That's the only car I've had that I miss and regret selling (and I've had 29 at last count) I want to find another one :wink:

dogjaw 08-16-2012 07:48 PM

can't believe that I found this thread; just today I was remembering my fully restored 77 Celica GT hatchback... an old lady made a left turn in fron of me, insurance company tried to give me 800.00, finally settled on 2200.00, still a rip off.

The Celica was import car of the year for three years in a row, 75-77, I've heard that the Datsun 240Z was a direct response to Toyata's domination of the inexpensive sports market, don't know this for sure, but I dearly miss mine.

assquatch20 08-16-2012 09:08 PM

Took it for a ride into town today. Clutch gets a little warm but doesn't seem to be overheating. Braking is good, but pads sound like they're getting close. I slept in and by the time I got back in the car my stepdad had put his old Sony stereo in there. The family really wanted me to have a car, but they seem more invested than me. Stock speakers sound great for the age though.

I'll see if I can't clean it up and get some pictures soon.

Shadow10 10-03-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by assquatch20 (Post 19371677)
Who likes these things? Someone said I needed a car, so I just went out and picked one up today ('93 GT) so I don't have to do this winter in bundles every day. Threw some better rubber on the front and the damn thing felt like it was leaning into twisties on the way home. A sight better handling than the old GM steel I've owned. I'm feeling like quick thinking and luck might have rewarded me here.

Anyhow I've joined the appropriate forum and I'm reading up/chasing a couple little electrical things and hoping the price wasn't too good to be true. It sure ain't shiny, though. Think maroon, dents, and cancer. Like Barney after repeated government testing.

Aaanyways, any of you folks ever have one of these? What did ya think of it?

Hows your Celica going?

I have just purchased a 1993 Gen 5 from a colleague, for a song. He has had it for a few years and looked after it very well, basically doing everything thats needed to keep an old car well maintained. The motor is original and in very good condition. It doesn't use oil and purrs along as you would expect.

Right now it needs the heater radiator replaced. I have "old new stock" to go in it, but apparently its quite a job to get the dash out. Google hasn't helped much, so it would be great if you could point me to the forum you mentioned. I'm hoping theres someone that has done this before and give me a few hints and tips, etc.

assquatch20 10-03-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow10 (Post 19742709)
Hows your Celica going?

I have just purchased a 1993 Gen 5 from a colleague, for a song. He has had it for a few years and looked after it very well, basically doing everything thats needed to keep an old car well maintained. The motor is original and in very good condition. It doesn't use oil and purrs along as you would expect.

Right now it needs the heater radiator replaced. I have "old new stock" to go in it, but apparently its quite a job to get the dash out. Google hasn't helped much, so it would be great if you could point me to the forum you mentioned. I'm hoping theres someone that has done this before and give me a few hints and tips, etc.

Toyotacelicas.com is the one I joined, but I'm not sure how reliable it is in the technical area. The ratio of dumb kids to intelligent technicians is much different when there's 4 wheels, it seems, especially in a Jap import.

I can say heater cores aren't too fun on anything modern. Even on my old fullsize truck, I let a shop take care of it. Not sure I'd do that again, but probably for the Toyota I would. On the other hand, there might be a trick to it for these. I would imagine it's not terrible, just a tight fit. I think a lot of the fasteners are in view.

I haven't drove it a ton. I just went out and registered/insured it today so we'll see how it goes. Shocks are definitely kaput, so I'm taking it easy on the bumpy stuff. As well, the AC compressor seems to be out, and upgrading to a modern one is a good chunk of money. Luckily I'm just in it for the roof and heater. From what I can tell the sunroof gears seem to strip easy (sacrificial piece like a garage door motor I think) but you can only buy the entire assembly new, which is too much. I'm probably gonna see what I can find in a junkyard and find somebody that does custom plastic work or something to make some sturdier ones, as mine didn't work when I got it. It would be awful nice to have an overdrive or a 6th gear on the thing, though. It's comfy at 55, but just a hair into buzzy territory at 65mph. Sheds wind almost too well. You can have a conversation at that speed with the windows down, but don't expect much breeze to get in unless you stick your arm out for it. That's why a sunroof to draft the heat out would be nice.

I'll report back after I get some more miles on it, but I'm pleased so far for the money. 1200 bucks and it starts, stops, etc.

Dukeryder 10-03-2012 09:43 PM

I had an 84 GT-S in the 90s powered by a 22-RE, thing was a bullet proof tank, I lived in the rust belt and it rotted into an oblivion but still ran strong.

My Mom had a 91 ST for a long time, the clutch went out at 300K so she junked it, it was also rusted out pretty bad; if it hadn't been for the rust she'd probably still be driving it. I think in the entire time she owned it (over 10yrs) it needed an Alternator, a couple timing belts, tires and brakes once. The 90s I think were some of the best years for Toyota and where they earned such a solid reputation.

jtb 10-04-2012 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by assquatch20 (Post 19371677)
... so I just went out and picked one up today ('93 GT)

Does it look and go like this...
http://www.creativecrash.com/system/...jpg?1325968023

http://www.creativecrash.com/system/...jpg?1325968065

I always wanted one of them in full rally guise especially the Safari Rally version, with the snorkel and useless bull bar.
:raabia:raabia:thumb:thumb
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...o2_r1_1280.jpg
:tb:tb:tb:tb:tb:tb:tb:tb

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:15 PM.