ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Replacement Fuse for Garmin (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818936)

thomasona 08-19-2012 05:33 PM

Replacement Fuse for Garmin

So I'm on day 3 of an 8-day trip with my dad and the fuse on my hardwired Garmin blew. It's a teeny little 1 amp fuse. I tried Autozone, Radio Shack, and Wal Mart to no avail.

I'm in Independence, VA tonight, heading toward Asheville, NC tomorrow then Deal's Gap after that. Any ideas?

Droptarotter 08-19-2012 05:41 PM

Napa or................god forbid..........tin foil!!

Good luck

boxermoose 08-19-2012 08:36 PM

Radio shack - Fry's - Best Buy

Instead of auto store try an /Electronics place

SgtDuster 08-20-2012 01:42 PM

If you can't find the correct fuse type, replace the fuse holder (same amp value though).

You should be able to find a blade or mini-blade fuse holder and a 1 amp fuse in almost every Autozone-like stores, no?

SnowMule 08-20-2012 03:12 PM

Did you find the reason the fuse blew to begin with?

Even if you find a replacement, without finding the reason it blew means you're going to be replacing the new one very "short"ly.

montanaman 08-20-2012 05:24 PM

What bike are you running it on?

My 800 GS has blown the fuse on my Zumo 660 more than once. I think I replaced it with a 5 amp or some bigger number fuse and it seems to be ok.

Twilight Error 08-21-2012 05:56 AM

The first fuse is free, the second fuse costs some troubleshooting.

SgtDuster 08-21-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Error (Post 19408574)
The first fuse is free, the second fuse costs some troubleshooting.

This.

You can blow a fuse (no pun...), shit happens.

It's when you blow fuse after fuse that you need to investigate what's going on.

NCK 08-21-2012 11:55 AM

Have the same question. Would love a clear answer.

RidingDonkeys 11-10-2012 06:58 AM

I find myself Googling the same thing right now.

My wife's Garmin power supply went up in smoke...literally....on a trip this summer. The fuse didn't blow, but the wires literally smoked out. It even melted the connecter in the cradle.

I had a friend send me a new power supply, and I hooked it up to my Triumph. It blew a fuse four days later. Pulled the still good fuse from her melted power supply, and it ran for four months until today. Last month I found myself scouring for spare fuses just in case, and never found anyone who carried them.

I've traced every wire and not found a problem. I think it really is just a problem of tiny fuses constantly finding water/mud, etc. But I'm hesitant to throw a larger fuse in there because I can't afford to do damage to the unit itself.

chollo9 11-10-2012 10:56 PM

FYI, one amp fuses are commonly used in electric fence chargers. Tractor Supply or similar would have them.

SteelB12 11-10-2012 11:04 PM

I replaced my Garmin fuse with one from Radio Shack. Was the one you visited just out of stock or did they search their catalog and state that RS does not carry that size.

Mine is not hardwired, I use a cigarette lighter for power so perhaps the fuse is a different size. It was tiny, though.

Too bad you are at the other end of the state, I would offer you the spares that I have

RidingDonkeys 11-11-2012 05:59 AM

My local Radio Shack doesn't carry anything smaller than a 3amp. I threw that in there to get me going yesterday. I'm really starting to chalk the fuse thing up to failed design rather than a legitimate problem. I'll check out TSC later this week.

Twilight Error 11-11-2012 06:22 AM

ATO or mini-ATO style?

If you're using the regular size blade fuse, McMaster sells 1A fuses. $3.50/5

RidingDonkeys 11-11-2012 06:57 AM

Garmins use minis.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:12 AM.