ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bmw Motorcycle Nav 1 screen burn (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823140)

mexipike 09-03-2012 01:14 PM

Bmw Motorcycle Nav 1 screen burn

Got a new to me bike and it has a bmw navigator 1 which seems to work just fine except for a giant color burn in the screen. I know this unit is old and stuff and ten people will tell me to buy a new one but since i have the nice tt mount for it and everything, i'd rather see if i could bring it back from the dead. Anyway to take the thing apart and fix it? What do I have to lose. (garmin won't fix it anymore, already checked)

9Dave 09-04-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexipike (Post 19509977)
a giant color burn in the screen.

Don't know what a "color burn" is, but mark me down at #1 - time to get a new GPS - unless you can find another similar unit, buy it cheap, and see if it is just a screen issue and you can swap them out and get it working again.

mexipike 09-08-2012 11:45 AM

I just picked up a street pilot iii on ebay for $40. It was the same model more or less as the bmw nav 1. I may try and swap screens when I get it. Are there any advantages to the nav 1 over the street pilot? Should I just forget about the bmw, mount the garmin and hit the road?

As a side note, I know these are ancient machines but I'm trying to decide if I really want to get into gps or not before I spend the dough for a nicer unit.

Twilight Error 09-08-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexipike (Post 19549053)
I just picked up a street pilot iii on ebay for $40. It was the same model more or less as the bmw nav 1. I may try and swap screens when I get it. Are there any advantages to the nav 1 over the street pilot? Should I just forget about the bmw, mount the garmin and hit the road?

As a side note, I know these are ancient machines but I'm trying to decide if I really want to get into gps or not before I spend the dough for a nicer unit.

IIRC, the biggest difference between the BMW Navigators and the plain jane Garmin units is the built-in dealer database. The screen swap is actually very straightforward if you've got some technical savvy. You'll want to invest a couple dollars in a wrist strap and ESD mat - an errant static discharge can turn that marginal GPS into a very good paperweight.

mexipike 09-12-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Error (Post 19550426)
IIRC, the biggest difference between the BMW Navigators and the plain jane Garmin units is the built-in dealer database. The screen swap is actually very straightforward if you've got some technical savvy. You'll want to invest a couple dollars in a wrist strap and ESD mat - an errant static discharge can turn that marginal GPS into a very good paperweight.

I think I may just do the swap then when I get it. What's the procedure besides the wrist strap and esd mat. Just open it up unplug the screen and swap?

mexipike 10-23-2012 11:28 PM

Went ahead and did the swap! simple and easy. Now I have a really old gps that works ok, and I have no idea how to connect to my mac but at least it's period correct!:rofl

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:50 PM.