ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Racing (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   RIP Kemal Merkit (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824237)

Brodovitch 09-07-2012 01:47 AM

RIP Kemal Merkit

I still can't get my head around this... :cry

Kemal was fatally injured on the 3rd day of the TransAnatolia Rally, while stopped with another Italian at an intersection to check the roadbook,
An 18yr old Dutch competitor rammed them from behind because of the dust... Unfortunately the Dutch rider (i don't know who he his yet) also passed away...

Turkish news article

Google translation:

Eaton Eskişehirsporlu Bahtiyaroğlu'nun footballer's death was 3 days, a Turkish sport has lost more than the name. "Desert Tiger" Kemal Merkit motorcycle racer dubbed the 52-year-old this year, was killed in a traffic accident in 3rd Rally of the Transanatolia. Factor in the accident, Kemal Merkit'e not get rid of the Dutch athletes.

Meke morning, shortly after the start of stage direction to find a Turkish biker Kemal Merkit an Italian motorcyclist, stopped to investigate aspects. In the meantime, as-yet-unidentified 18-year-old Dutch athlete coming from behind hit the Kemal Merkit'e. Merkit with the Dutch athletes were killed at the scene. Italian motorcyclist escaped with minor injuries in the incident light.

At the start of the Rally, not 3 days ago...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...64319564_n.jpg

dakardood 09-07-2012 01:54 AM

..another great one gone, RIP Kemal :cry

Si Pavey will be extremely saddened I'm sure, having become friends with him on recent Dakar's. Very sad.

Aybars 09-07-2012 02:01 AM

Unfortunately guys,

We've lost a very precious special person this morning... That is a huge loss for me, we had met in 1995 when I was a young lad. He was one of my figures not as a motorcyclist only, his approach to people, life and sport.

Accident happened during the stage. Merkit & other biker had stopped for navigation and another vehicle; not confirmed yet a car or motorbike, hit them. They died immediately.

Our friends were also in the event ; Trafo Rally Raid Team, they arrived to scene soon and were shocked...

No more words to say...

Flood 09-07-2012 02:05 AM

Good lord. I have no words yet.

disodbediente 09-07-2012 02:13 AM

The most authentic man and competitor I've ever met. A guide to me.
Died helping someone else, as he was always doing.

Aybars 09-07-2012 02:22 AM

Latest update of Names;

Wouter Vaarkamp had hit Merkit and both them lost their lives on accident scene...

The Italian guy whom Kemal has stopped to help him has some minor injuries...

Quietus 09-07-2012 02:25 AM

R.I.P :(

Kemal was a great rider

640 Armageddon 09-07-2012 02:39 AM

I have no words ... :cry ....

disodbediente 09-07-2012 02:42 AM

Anyone knows who's the italian?

Brodovitch 09-07-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disodbediente (Post 19539365)
The most authentic man and competitor I've ever met. A guide to me.
Died helping someone else, as he was always doing.

So true.. I met Kemal last year in Serres, it was my first rally, we rode the prologue together and he was always checking to see if I was doing OK, also taught me how to shortcut turns and adjust at the same time...

I stopped where he fell on the 3rd day, he had broken his collarbone and Selšuk was already with him, I still remember the smile in his helmet when I offered him some food, "No thank you, you will need it more than me"

Such a sad sad loss :cry

troy safari carpente 09-07-2012 02:56 AM

R.i.p.

Sincere condolences to Kemals family and his good friends; both from within the close knit malle moto/rally world and via here at ADV/F5... :devildog

By all accounts, we lost a true gentlemen, champion spirit and a great ambassador of what the "spirit of rally raid" epitomises.

Also condolences to the young Dutch riders family and friends... a terrible tragedy all around. :cry

EnginTMR 09-07-2012 02:59 AM

R.I.P. :2cry:2cry

I'm so sad....

Brodovitch 09-07-2012 03:00 AM

This is so sad, I cannot believe it :cry

Kemal was such a nice guy, we had the honour of having him as a competitor last year,
and he was kind enough to trust us to come. A true hero of Rally!

May he rest in peace and always keep smiling like he did

Αντίο φίλε Κεμάλ

duroturk 09-07-2012 03:00 AM

I am so sad, have nothing to say. Whole motorcycling community here in Turkiye is in shock.,

We lost our "Kemal Abi"...

zepco 09-07-2012 03:07 AM

We've lost today, the definition of sportsmanship and humanity. God rest his soul. :cry

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:20 PM.