ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Camp stove: Looking for opinions and reviews (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825244)

Soliok 09-10-2012 07:46 PM

Camp stove: Looking for opinions and reviews
 
I've recently started researching camp stoves for taking along on extended trips, and I was hoping to get some opinions and reviews from people in the community who have used them. So far, there have been some pretty good reviews on the Primus OmniFuel stove (liquid fuel is my preference), but please feel free to add your comments on whatever stove/s you think are good and why.

Lone Rider 09-11-2012 04:44 PM

This thread probably belongs in the Equipment/Gear Forum.

Yes, choose your fuel, but you should also define 'long' and where you will be traveling.

WEE4ME 09-11-2012 05:25 PM

MSR Dragonfly, can burn different fuels I have only used naptha. it has good flame control. I've had mine about 10 years on many canoe trip and tours. You can find replacement parts in lots of locations but I haven't needed to replace anything yet.
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves...gonfly/product

willys 09-11-2012 05:43 PM

I currently use a pocket rocket with self igniter and it works very well, but am thinking of a Jetboil as it is compact and has everything in one basic container.:freaky

PWRCRZR 09-12-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WEE4ME (Post 19572732)
MSR Dragonfly, can burn different fuels I have only used naptha. it has good flame control. I've had mine about 10 years on many canoe trip and tours. You can find replacement parts in lots of locations but I haven't needed to replace anything yet.
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves...gonfly/product

I have been using a Dragonfly for several seasons, excellent stove. Boils fast yet simmers nicely. I have cooked many a meal and have had no issues with range of heat or control ability. But be fore warned it is very LOUD! I am the but of a lot of loud stove jokes at Rally's.

Twilight Error 09-12-2012 05:49 PM

MSR XGK II. it's the predecessor of the Dragonfly and is designed/built to be absolutely reliable. I bought mine in '95 and it's still my only camp stove.

Marsh Tiger 09-12-2012 06:39 PM

+1 on the dragonfly. It burns high octane gas fairly well.

I've also used a Snowpeak lite max and really liked it. Very small and compact, but fuel could be bulky.

FotoTEX 09-14-2012 05:06 PM

Jet-Boil has worked well for me. Compact for easy packing.

Hikertrash 09-15-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FotoTEX (Post 19597001)
Jet-Boil has worked well for me. Compact for easy packing.

I like my Jetboil too. Very easy to use, but I only boil water in mine or use crock pot liners in it for cooking other food. I like the ease of use and compactness. If you don't like the butane stoves, I highly recommend the MSR Whisperlite International. I had mine for 15 years and it still worked 100% when I sold it to a fellow inmate a couple months ago.

jetjackson 09-16-2012 07:26 AM

I have the handheld jetboil, but its only good for boiling water, have been using it to cok som things but have to hold a pan above it which is a pain in the backside. Would go the MSR stove that allows you to put any fuel in it, if I did it again. The handheld jetboil IMO is really only suited to ultralight hiking when you are using dehydrated meals.

TBH the design of the igniter is not well thought through as when packed inside it tends to bash against the top of the container. It has now stopped working and I have to start it with a lighter.

Boondox 09-16-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetjackson (Post 19605505)
I have the handheld jetboil, but its only good for boiling water, have been using it to cok som things but have to hold a pan above it which is a pain in the backside. Would go the MSR stove that allows you to put any fuel in it, if I did it again. The handheld jetboil IMO is really only suited to ultralight hiking when you are using dehydrated meals.

It depends on what you cook on trips. If you are the type that likes to fry eggs and bacon, or get creative in the culinary arts, I'd agree with that summary. But I'm not that type. Nor can I tolerate dehydrated meals.

What I use are foil pouches that you warm by putting the whole intact pouch in boiling water. There are a couple of stews in pouches that aren't bad, but generally I stock up on Taste of India pouches for $1.25 each. The JetBoil has them ready to eat in four minutes (from cold water to a hot meal), they are healthy, taste really good, and can be eaten with a spoon right out of the pouch. On those rare occasions when I need to be civilized, I pour the contents into a bowl then let Barley "do the dishes."

Canuman 09-16-2012 08:04 AM

Look at a compact alcohol stove. Featherweight, cheap, no moving parts, silent, fuel available everywhere. There are multiple threads here on them, and a few inmates offering them in the Vendors section. They will not explode or flare up, either, (being non-pressurized or very low pressure) so they are safe.

You can make your own pretty easily.

There are some good ones here:

https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

jetjackson 09-16-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boondox (Post 19605596)
It depends on what you cook on trips. If you are the type that likes to fry eggs and bacon, or get creative in the culinary arts, I'd agree with that summary. But I'm not that type. Nor can I tolerate dehydrated meals.

What I use are foil pouches that you warm by putting the whole intact pouch in boiling water. There are a couple of stews in pouches that aren't bad, but generally I stock up on Taste of India pouches for $1.25 each. The JetBoil has them ready to eat in four minutes (from cold water to a hot meal), they are healthy, taste really good, and can be eaten with a spoon right out of the pouch. On those rare occasions when I need to be civilized, I pour the contents into a bowl then let Barley "do the dishes."

Where do you get these tasty foil pouches you speak of? :)

It'sNotTheBike 09-16-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuman (Post 19605680)
Look at a compact alcohol stove. Featherweight, cheap, no moving parts, silent, fuel available everywhere. There are multiple threads here on them, and a few inmates offering them in the Vendors section. They will not explode or flare up, either, (being non-pressurized or very low pressure) so they are safe.


There is a bit more to an alcohol stove, and you have omitted several important points.

1) alcohol stoves don't come close to the heat output of a kerosene, LP gas, or white gas stove, and alcohol stoves require a LOT more time to boil water.

2) the flame from alcohol is very hard to see. This makes it easy for an uninitiated person to get a nasty burn.

3) Kerosene or diesel or unleaded gasoline are all much easier to find in out of the way
places.

4) a stove which uses cartridges of pressurized fuel is quite safe, and the suggestion
that stoves might explode is the sort of misinformation I'd expect from someone's grandmother.


.

Canuman 09-16-2012 08:30 AM

I don't know where to get them in Europe, but in the Northeast US, they can be had at Ocean State Job Lots. They are good.

However, the manufacturer is:

Kohinoor Specialty Foods India Pvt. Ltd

www.Kohinoorindia.co.in


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014