ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Garmin 276C vs 2610 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82613)

RiverRat280 06-07-2005 03:19 PM

Garmin 276C vs 2610
 
I've read through allot of the threads on GPS units and most seem to use either the Garmin 276C or the 2610, what are the main differences and the pros and cons to each? Does one hold up to moisture or vibrations on a bike better? Is the 2620 worth it or is the only difference from the 2610 just that it comes with city navigator? I'm going on a trip to Oregon soon with the wife and thought an autorouting GPS would be real nice to have especially when traveling at night when road sighns are hard to read and something that I could attach to my GS, just something nice to have not needed. So whats your advice on what GPS to get and what website has the best service/prices? I see on gpsdiscount.com I can get a refurbished 2610 for $530 or should you stay away from a refurb. What accesories will I have to buy, unless I get the 2620 I'll have to get city navigator or city select, which one should I get for the unit.

Guaglione 06-07-2005 03:22 PM

First of all, you are about to get about 7,000 emails telling you that there have already been 7,000 threads covering this exact topic. I don't know much about the 2610.
Try calling Cycoactive (see cycoactive.com) they sell garmin products, and offer several motorcycle specific packages to suit you needs. I just got done using my 276c to go down to California and back, and I love the thing.

BurnieM 06-07-2005 03:37 PM

The search function works real well :D


Both the SP2610 and SP2620 come with City Navigator mapping
You do not want a SP2620 as it comes with all mapping loaded on a microdrive.
Microdrives are known to fail in high vibration environments (like motorcycles).
The SP2620 does not have a mapping CD that you can load onto your PC (the SP2610 does).

All 3 Garmins mentioned are waterproof to IPX7

SP2610 advantages;
Touch screen is easiest to enter addresses
Uses CompactFlash cards which can be bought in large sizes cheaply

Disadvantages;
No battery for off bike use

GPSmap 276C advantages;
Best screen on the planet
Lots of navigation features

Disadvantages;
Proprietary memory with max size of 256 MB

If you purchase a SP2610 then price in a 2 GB CF card and bike mount up front

If you purchase a GPSmap 276C then the package is only basic and you should price in City Select mapping, 256 MB memory card and bike mount

eap 06-07-2005 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRat280
I've read through allot of the threads on GPS units and most seem to use either the Garmin 276C or the 2610, what are the main differences and the pros and cons to each? Does one hold up to moisture or vibrations on a bike better? Is the 2620 worth it or is the only difference from the 2610 just that it comes with city navigator? I'm going on a trip to Oregon soon with the wife and thought an autorouting GPS would be real nice to have especially when traveling at night when road sighns are hard to read and something that I could attach to my GS, just something nice to have not needed. So whats your advice on what GPS to get and what website has the best service/prices? I see on gpsdiscount.com I can get a refurbished 2610 for $530 or should you stay away from a refurb. What accesories will I have to buy, unless I get the 2620 I'll have to get city navigator or city select, which one should I get for the unit.

I don't have one but read most of the threads.

2620 = no good for motorbike
2610 = full package for under $600 plus your RAM mount, must be plugged in/ hard wired as it doesn't work on batteries, talks to you, touch screen, inexpensive generic memory card (up to 1gb?) - owners love 'em.
276 = al la cart, so expensive (prolly close to $1000 with software and accessories last time I looked) and proprietary memory cards not very expandable, bigger screen, can work on batteries and general more versatile - owners love 'em.
FWIW

CMWoody 06-07-2005 03:58 PM

Oh Gawd, not this again. Look around and use the search function.

Guaglione 06-07-2005 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnieM
The search function works real well :D


Both the SP2610 and SP2620 come with City Navigator mapping
You do not want a SP2620 as it comes with all mapping loaded on a microdrive.
Microdrives are known to fail in high vibration environments (like motorcycles).
The SP2620 does not have a mapping CD that you can load onto your PC (the SP2610 does).

All 3 Garmins mentioned are waterproof to IPX7

SP2610 advantages;
Touch screen is easiest to enter addresses
Uses CompactFlash cards which can be bought in large sizes cheaply

Disadvantages;
No battery for off bike use

GPSmap 276C advantages;
Best screen on the planet
Lots of navigation features

Disadvantages;
Proprietary memory with max size of 256 MB

If you purchase a SP2610 then price in a 2 GB CF card and bike mount up front

If you purchase a GPSmap 276C then the package is only basic and you should price in City Select mapping, 256 MB memory card and bike mount

I got a 276c, 128mg card Touratech MVG mount (for off road use) City Select all for about $1019 from Cycoactive. I upgraded to the 256 card right away.
Right now I have all of the west Coast From canada to mexico I-5 to the coast, including all of Washington state, in TWO map sets (City Select and Roads and recs) on one 256mg card. That's lots of info!!
I went to the 276c primarily because it seems to be better suited to off-road use, and I can ready the big screen very easily.

Again, call Cycocative. They are really good at helping you select a GPS to suit you.

MysteryRider 06-07-2005 09:40 PM

Go to the Garmin website and there is a feature to compare the different models.

I just bought a 276C.

I liked the idea that I could use it in the truck, bike or the boat.
I bought the Touratech base and Ram mounts so that I can install it on both the GS and the HD.
Sure, I have to buy a marine chart chip, but I will have one unit do the work of three.

Your use may be different, so maybe this isnt the model for you.
Theres really no wrong choice.

Now, that having been said, can anyone tell me if Ishould use synthetic or regular oil in my ride? (Just kidding!)

Ride Safe,
Vettster

RiverRat280 06-08-2005 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmwoodys
Oh Gawd, not this again. Look around and use the search function.

I know, I know, call me a lazy f~cker but it's like doing a internet seach that you get so much information or in this case so many threads thats its hard to comb through all the info to find what you really need. I've read many threads on this and just wanted some last minute opionions before I decide which way to go. Both seem like good options I'm just trying to decide what way is better for me to go. Everyone seems happy with the 276C and the 2610 so I'm sure I'll be happy either way I'll just have to decide whats better for my needs.

Kaumajet 06-08-2005 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRat280
Everyone seems happy with the 276C and the 2610 so I'm sure I'll be happy either way I'll just have to decide whats better for my needs.

Exactly. And BurnieM hit it on the head.

Personally, I think the 'proprietary card' issue is a red herring. I've had 2 276Cs, and have criss-crossed Canada and the US several times with them. Having to load maps twice or three times a year hasn't been nearly the 'burden' that it's made out to be, and being able to use the GPS off-bike with the battery has been a serious positive.

There are battery packs available for the 2610, but I carry enough junk around as it is.

marco polo 06-08-2005 10:59 AM

276c
 
I just went through the same routine a few weeks back. I bought the 276C. The screen was a big plus. Why would you not buy a unit designed for use in bright sunlight (the 276C is a marine unit, after all, meant for use on a boat)? It has all the auto-routing features you'd ever want. As others have said, you know you also need to buy the detailed mapping software for installation on your PC and downlaoding to the GPS, and a memory card (I got the 256MB one). The other plus is the battery. Even in the short time I've had it, I can't imagine not having battery power. Go to cycoactive.com to read their comparison of the two units. Well worth the read.

NJ_Bob 06-08-2005 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco polo
Why would you not buy a unit designed for use in bright sunlight (the 276C is a marine unit, after all, meant for use on a boat)?

Simple. It costs more to outfit the 276C to do everything the 2610 does.

If you are going to be riding mostly on North American pavement, the 2610 costs less and provides everything you need. You can put all the maps on a 2G CF card, and never have to hook it up to a computer - no matter where you want to go.

The 276 screen is beautiful, and marvelous to look at. However, with the voice prompts that you should be using, the beauty of the screen shouldn't matter a whole lot. We're looking at maps here, not hi-res photographs.

I'm not saying that either performs better, but the 2610 is clearly the bargain.

marco polo 06-08-2005 05:16 PM

276c
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ_Bob
You can put all the maps on a 2G CF card, and never have to hook it up to a computer - no matter where you want to go.

The 276 screen is beautiful, and marvelous to look at. However, with the voice prompts that you should be using, the beauty of the screen shouldn't matter a whole lot. We're looking at maps here, not hi-res photographs.

No question the CF cards are a distinct plus. The ideal solution would be a 276C with CF card memory (oh well). As for voice prompts, I don't use sound on the bike, so the screen is very important to me. Like everything, it all depends what your needs are and what you want to pay. I have to be honest and say I didn't spend much time looking at the price of the 2610, not that I have money to burn, just that I knew the 276C better met my needs.

kv 06-08-2005 07:48 PM

I'm also debating... 276C or 2610.

I'm sitting here looking at my copy of City Select so no money spent there. Despite the fact that I CAN buy a 2G card for the 2610 I don't think I would. Not right now anyway. So that really evens the score if you will a bit more for me.

I've found the 2 units within a few bucks of each other. The only RAM piece I'll need is the craddle itself.

I'm leaning toward the 276C. With batteries, it seems ideal in that I can take it off of the bike at lunch and plot a course or mark a waypoint.

KV :wink:

FatChance 06-09-2005 11:30 AM

After reading all of these threads, my new 276C was delivered yesterday. Last night I, I loaded all of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico City Select data onto 96MB of a 128MB card. The 256MB Garmin cards are about $104 now, but I don't know if I'll really be wanting one, I certainly don't need one for 99% of all my riding which is centered in the Rocky Mountain states. The screen is as nice as they say, it is easy to use, and I've already got it mounted on the GS with a RAM mount. I'm happier with buttons because that's what I'm used to. After my old Garmin GPS 12Map, this new one is intuitive. The auto-routing is nice, but just not necessary in the west. :dunno In the past, I looked at a map the night before and mentally stored directions (turn east in Westbumfuck, Wy). I don't ride into cities (why would anyone?), so this 276C is probably overkill for what I need, but toys are about want, not need. Add me to the very happy 276C owners. :thumb

NJ_Bob 06-09-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco polo
As for voice prompts, I don't use sound on the bike, so the screen is very important to me.

If I may, I would strongly recommend you do use the sound features. It allows you to focus your attention on the road, and you will rarely have to look at the display - except when you really need to.

Regarding my personal decision process, I wanted to be able to use the unit no matter where I went, on the bike or in the cage, or even by plane. I pop it into rental cars when I go back east with my family or on business trips. Having all the maps, and all the data there, all the time is valuable to me.

Everyone has to make their own decision, and either of these are excellent GPS devices.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014