ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Face plant (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Never ride behind an ambulance (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826350)

goosecreek 09-14-2012 10:50 PM

Never ride behind an ambulance

I pulled out behind an ambulance(no emergency lights running,) there was not a car close behind it . I go a mile and a half up the road signal to turn left (waiting for on coming traffic to pass . Wham, a few minutes later I realize I am in the middle of the road on the ground and with all of the on coming traffic is parked in the ditches .
Seams that a poor little old lady had fallen behind the ambulance far enough so that I could safely enter the road between them. Her husband was in the ambulance and she was not thinking about driving until she slammed into the back of me at about 30mph. Luckyfor me, the on coming traffic was actually driving and managed to keep from making me road kill.
I do not recommend riding behind a ambulance even when the lights are not on because you never know if there will be a emotional distressed person following behind.
I survived, :Dand my wife gave the little old lady a ride to the hospital (her husband survived:clap) and I rode with the tow truck to take my bike to the shop.
So please use caution; I never thought about the vehicles or drivers that travel behind ambulances but never again will I make the mistake of placing myself between a rescue vehicle and inattentive driver again. I hope.
http://gooscreek.smugmug.com/Other/r...P9140302-M.jpg

i always try to makes sure if I get hit I am not pinched between vehicle so I was far left in the lane since I was turning left. I need to rethink this . I could have easily been hit by the oncoming traffic had they not been alert.

So other than avoiding ems vehicles how could I imrpove my odds.

By the way I was less than 2 miles from home turning into the store. Always wear your gear even if it is a quick run to the store.

Jazz62 09-15-2012 01:34 AM

Really remarkable that you are unhurt - BRAVO!!! :clap

About your bike - that'll buff right out.

Wy'east 09-15-2012 03:21 AM

I should add to this, never follow behind emergency vehicles in general if you can help it. Police cars can be the worst with their sudden stopping or pulling over. With fire trucks in "code 3 mode" usually means somebody else is coming along few seconds behind them.

Just need to pay extra attention!

Homerb 09-15-2012 03:58 AM

And most fire trucks will spill water out of their tanks as they corner at speed, creating wet corners on dry roads.

gastone 09-15-2012 04:06 AM

Steve,

glad to see that you are okay man. Heal up, get better, see you soon.

G.

eddie bolted 09-15-2012 05:25 AM

HEY STEVE,Your lucky,glad your OK
ED

Michhub 09-15-2012 06:53 AM

:eek1 Happy to hear you didn't sustain any serious injuries.

twigsnapper 09-15-2012 07:00 AM

Damn that sucks, glad to hear you're ok.

Intrigue_262000 09-15-2012 07:37 AM

Glad your ok. Heal fast.

ecubed 09-15-2012 10:00 AM

man down

GOOSE!

Sorry to hear of the mishap. I like your sage advice....

"So please use caution; I never thought about the vehicles or drivers that travel behind ambulances but never again will I make the mistake of placing myself between a rescue vehicle and inattentive driver again. I hope."

Looks like the bag took the energy and not your leg!

Oh, and ATGATT. Done. Glad you are OK !

tkent02 09-15-2012 10:47 AM

Here's an idea, don't turn left if you have to stop to do it. Just roll on down to the next intersection. Expecting any car behind you to stop just because you did is ludicrous. If you do decide to stop, keep an eyeball in the mirror.

woofer2609 09-15-2012 02:31 PM

I was on a dual sport ride last month and only had my crappy little Baja turn signals ( I switch them out for the stock ones that stay attached to my rack when going off road.) We did a small section of road, and had to make a left turn in a 50 mph zone. I used my hand to signal before coming to a stop, which I've gotten in the habit of doing all the time now, and not a limp little point to the ground, but a proper signal. Once stopped, I turn my head 180 degrees to gauge the speed of driver approaching from the rear to make eye contact with them if possible. I find I can guage their speed better than if using my mirrors. I've got in the habit of pulsing my brake lights as well.
Some people will still be oblivious, however.:norton
I have, in some situations, pulled off to the shoulder until there is a clear break in traffic, and then crossed, if there is not the opportunity to turn right three times and go straight across, or the next left is 10 miles down the road
Really glad to hear you are OK and dissecting the situation to avoid it happening again!

And hey, at least there was an ambulance nearby!

Davo-55 09-15-2012 06:42 PM

Damn, Goose. Hope you are OK, I never would have thought about that scenario. Seems like if she was far enough back for you to get between her and the ambulance she would have seen you riding that punkin.

ABritOnMaui 09-15-2012 06:57 PM

Glad you are ok! Sound advice. Here we all pull off the road if there's an emergency vehicle (with lights on, I realise the ambulance didn't have lights on) about to give them the entire road to themselves. It works out safer all round and frankly you never know when it will be you in the back and the time saved getting you to ER by having an empty road could make the difference. Not sure if its the same elsewhere.

Odd an ambulance would have someone in and no lights? My experience has been if they are responding to a call or making the trip to hospital they always run sirens and lights, if for no other reason than they get there quicker and can respond to the next call quicker.

Nialis 09-15-2012 10:56 PM

You are lucky bro! However riding in front of an ambulance is win ;o). I had medics scooping me off the road in under a minute after my head on collision with a car. :deal

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:38 AM.