ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Vancouver to Banff this week-Is it possible?? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828356)

donutrider 09-22-2012 07:59 AM

Vancouver to Banff this week-Is it possible??

Is it realistic to ride from Vancouver to Banff ?? I will prob be in Vancouver Tuesday and will have 4 days to make the run over the mountains to Banff. I'm not sure if this is realistic or not. I will be on a new BMW K1600, not the best bike for snow.. Thanks for the help!!

AMEretired 09-22-2012 08:39 AM

I've done that ride at this time of year and it's fantastic, beautiful, with not much traffic. Just check the forecast before you leave and check locally each day. If you are concerned about the weather, i am sure that one of us could ride that old bike of yours over the mountains for you.:D
As you have 4 days to complete the trip why not consider a southerly route.
Mike

Cal 09-22-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donutrider (Post 19654236)
Is it realistic to ride from Vancouver to Banff ?? I will prob be in Vancouver Tuesday and will have 4 days to make the run over the mountains to Banff. I'm not sure if this is realistic or not. I will be on a new BMW K1600, not the best bike for snow.. Thanks for the help!!

I was over the pass yesterday and it was fantastic conditions. The top of the Rogers Pass was 16 at1pm.
Looks like the weather pattern is holding for all of next week. Go for it, your bike is very suited for cold riding. I might add I saw at least 20 bikers from Banff to Salmon Arm.

donutrider 09-23-2012 08:27 PM

Thanks for the response! I made it th doorway to the Ave of the Giants today. 275 miles up heavenly roads of northern California. Took 8 hours with few stops. I've never ridden roads with so many curves in my life. Ocean on one side and sweet smelling countryside on th other. The bike is rented Friday so I'm hoping he cancels so I can come on up to Canada. Tomorrow should get me to Eugene Oregon so I can browse some ducatis .. I'll chime in if it all works out.

Cal 09-24-2012 09:19 AM

In June I rode # 1 from L.A. to the Oregon border and yes there are lots of curves!!

Snowkarver 09-24-2012 11:20 AM

Weather looks great in the mountains this week, for late Sep.

Make sure to head north out of Vancouver to Kamloops via 99 through Whistler, Pemberton, and Lillooet instead of going east on Hwy 1 which is mostly slab.

RVDan 09-24-2012 06:14 PM

Its only twelve hours, you only need one day

donutrider 09-24-2012 07:12 PM

I left San Francisco at 9:44am Sunday .. I've only traveled 600 miles. I've ridden 8 hours each day . To say that I've been having fun on coastal and mountain roads is a gross understatement !

BMW created a masterpiece .. I'm riding way over my abilities thanks to BMW.

Back to th curves.. The redwood forests this morning were incredible and what's better was that there was little to no traffic, it wasn't until I was running out of sunlight and jumped on I-5 to sutherlin that I hit any traffic today.. But that was only because I was moving 90+ the whole stretch .. I-5 was a much needed break ..

Said all that to say I won't have the slightest chance of making it to Canada..

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:15 AM.