ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hacks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   sidecar dealers in au (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829374)

ausguy 09-25-2012 09:26 PM

sidecar dealers in au

Hi I am thinking of building a sidecar already have the bike I was wondering if anyone knows of some dealers that sell
just the sidecar in australia

Regards ausguy

Midnullarbor 09-26-2012 12:36 AM

Well, there is the Ural at imz-ural.com.au if you are wanting the retro look with tall wheel on the sidecar.

Can't help with the total number in Oz.
But I do notice that there is one less Ural dealer in Victoria, unfortunately.
(The mob in Bendigo seem to have dropped off the Ural dealer list at imz-ural.)
Does anyone know the story there?

Brendan J 09-26-2012 12:38 AM

G'day Ausguy where abouts are you in Oz ??? If your in Victoria I'd suggest Phyllis on here. Does a fantastic job. :D

ausguy 09-26-2012 05:38 AM

Thanks guys

jaydmc 09-26-2012 03:42 PM

We have developed some of our sidecar stuff for left side mount and are working on a left side mount sidecar similar to our M72 type sidecars.
And of course things like steering modifications and wheels it does not matter if the sidecar is left or right side mount.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

tripodtiger 09-26-2012 05:12 PM

This is not a recommendation....
just answering the question, as far as I know.

Highway Sidecars, Mt Gambier SA.
SRK Engineering, Bathurst NSW.

I think everyone else is folded, absorbed, passed away.

having typed that....

+1 for Phyllis.:nod

NB - sidecars are not cheap. You'll get what you pay for. Unless of course you are a skilled fabricator?
And you're arguably not paying for the 'pretty', you should be paying for the engineering. IMHO.

I read someone's sigline the other day. Something like, "If you think professionals are expensive, try paying for an amateur".

Brendan J 09-26-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripodtiger (Post 19687778)

NB - sidecars are not cheap. You'll get what you pay for. Unless of course you are a skilled fabricator?
And you're arguably not paying for the 'pretty', you should be paying for the engineering. IMHO.

I read someone's sigline the other day. Something like, "If you thing professionals are expensive, try paying for an amateur".

Couldn't agree more !!!

IsAnOzzie 09-29-2012 06:32 AM

+1 for SRK,
good work at a price.

MIXR 09-30-2012 04:20 AM

Good work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsAnOzzie (Post 19706124)
+1 for SRK,
good work at a price.

Depends on your definition of 'good work'.

Precis 10-03-2012 05:44 PM

Eurobrit Motorbikes in Greensborough Vic, import at least three different styles of Inder sidecar - retail at around $2500 from memory - and appear very stoutly made and a far cry from the Cozi-can crap.
Alternatively, I have a Flexit for sale...
PM for details!

ausguy 10-03-2012 08:26 PM

Just to let you all know ever since my hip replacement I have lost all
confidence in putting my foot down whilst riding in the bush this is why I am looking
at a sidecar. I have been eyeing off a ural (sigh I wish we could the 2WD ones) although a bit slow
fairly sturdy and simple (just like me LOL)
Ausguy

MIXR 10-03-2012 10:29 PM

Try the Ural then

Quote:

Originally Posted by ausguy (Post 19742288)
Just to let you all know ever since my hip replacement I have lost all
confidence in putting my foot down whilst riding in the bush this is why I am looking
at a sidecar. I have been eyeing off a ural (sigh I wish we could the 2WD ones) although a bit slow
fairly sturdy and simple (just like me LOL)
Ausguy

I annoyed the heck out of Jon and co at Ural Oz, before settling on hacking my GSA. While you know you are getting a slow (but generally reliable) item with the Ural these days, I was persuaded (and convinced myself) that doing the GSA was the way to go. I already owned the bike. However, the trials and tribulations that went with a purpose built outfit conspired heavily against me ever wanting to do this again.

There is no doubt that I have a fairly capable machine (now). There is no doubt it will travel at (GPS) 110 kph (and faster) all day, as evidenced by my Iron Butt ride with it. However, the reality is that if I want it to last a long a time, and if I want sensible fuel economy, and if I want reasonable tyre wear, and if I want to prevent things from breaking, then I need to travel at under 100 kph, smell the flowers (and dead roos), and generally enjoy the countryside. The journey is a lot of fun. The shed-time can be daunting.

A Ural will travel comfortably at 90 kph. Yes, they will go faster, but ..................

I'd suggest that you look hard at a Ural. The money spent is all you will spend. With anything else, it's a never-ending tail-chase to get it 'just-right'. Happy to chat off-line if you want.

Cheers, Mick.

roscoau 10-03-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIXR (Post 19742995)
I was persuaded (and convinced myself) that doing the GSA was the way to go. I already owned the bike. However, the trials and tribulations that went wth a purpose built outfit heavily conspired against me ever wanting to do this again.

Thanks for that, it's great to get a view from the 'other side'. Any special throws up unexpected bumps and if you're paying someone for it it's going to be big dollars.

brstar 10-04-2012 03:59 AM

Bodies

Was tinkering with the idea of knocking up a batch of ural style bodies, it is something I could do through my work place.
3mm Ali or 1.6mm steel. A different aproach would be to use core ten. It gets a film of rust but thats mostly it. I would most likely model them of my Chiang Jiang chair but scale it up a little.
Have had a lot of different features and options in mind regards passenger and or camper utility. Any thoughts?
Cheers, Bruce

MIXR 10-04-2012 04:41 AM

You need your own thread ...............

Quote:

Originally Posted by brstar (Post 19743608)
Was tinkering with the idea of knocking up a batch of ural style bodies, it is something I could do through my work place.
3mm Ali or 1.6mm steel. A different aproach would be to use core ten. It gets a film of rust but thats mostly it. I would most likely model them of my Chiang Jiang chair but scale it up a little.
Have had a lot of different features and options in mind regards passenger and or camper utility. Any thoughts?
Cheers, Bruce

..................... if you are seriously contemplating this.

From what I've seen in my short time playing this game, there is a market for that style of chair. The more critical aspect from a production standpoint is to get as much standardization as you can in the body and chassis. The 'market', which is quite small here in Aus, seems to be as an adjunct to the bigger adventure bikes. A 'Ural' tub may not suit a Goldy or a GTR1400 or FJR!

How do you factor all the myriad of attachment systems to cater for airhead Beemers, oilhead Beemers, and all the Tigers, Veestroms, KLRs etc? Can be done, but at a cost.

Likewise, you would need to have a simple method for varying chassis height, suspension requirements, wheel types, and so on.

Or you stick to a body with appropriate body options such as hatches, screens, racks, jerry-holders etc, all sitting on a standard box frame, so that the buyer has to have all the rest to suit his/her bike and just bolts the chair to the chassis.

Lots of thought required with dubious returns and a high likelihood that the production will be short-lived.

Not saying 'don't do it', but just think about the market first.

There are many changes I would make next time. Won't happen, but I can see how a 'reasonable' product could been a 'great' product. None of it is hard, but just wasn't thought through by me or the builder. That's what happens with prototypes.

Good luck with it if you go ahead.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:13 PM.