ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   KTM 990 Adventure as first ADV bike (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829632)

ilyaon 09-26-2012 06:47 PM

KTM 990 Adventure as first ADV bike

Hello,

After reading many posts on this forum I see that a lot of people have several years off road riding experience before they switched to 990 Adventure.

I would like to ask if someone has 990 Adventure as they first bike? Or it's too much weight and power for the beginner.

avocadofarmer 09-26-2012 06:49 PM

Was your first car a Porsche 911?

ilyaon 09-26-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avocadofarmer (Post 19688558)
Was your first car a Porsche 911?

Nice! I like your way of thinking.

If under specific situation I would get the Porsche for the right price as my first car, than yes.
Here I have an opportunity to get 990 at the very reasonable price.
However don't want to get something bigger than I can handle.

avocadofarmer 09-26-2012 07:10 PM

Have you ridden any other motorcycle before? It will be kinda hard to tell what you are comfortable handling if you're a blank slate, so to speak.

I would suggest to start on a smaller bike, but I imagine some people would pick up on it right quick.

Do it!

ilyaon 09-26-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avocadofarmer (Post 19688716)
Have you ridden any other motorcycle before? It will be kinda hard to tell what you are comfortable handling if you're a blank slate, so to speak.

I would suggest to start on a smaller bike, but I imagine some people would pick up on it right quick.

Do it!

Thanks for not sarcastic reply.

Yes, I had experience of the street sport bike. I also tried F800GS (very short period)

Gronked 09-26-2012 07:25 PM

I'm no expert, but it whether or not this is a suitable first bike may depend on somethings like your physical size and hence ability to move it around and pick it up when you drop it etc.

Also your age, and maturity level when it comes to riding like a nit and getting in over your head speed and terrain wise.

If riding off road, will you be riding alone? Do you have mates to teach you riding technique off road, or will you be doing any dual sport riding courses?

I have heard of people buying an F800GS as their first dual sport bike, so I guess in theory a 990 wouldn't be out of the question... if you ride within your limits. You can get yourself into trouble riding a 990, 250, or 110cc postie bike.

FalloutMan 09-26-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyaon (Post 19688749)
Thanks for not sarcastic reply.

Yes, I had experience of the street sport bike. I also tried F800GS (very short period)

My experience was off of a street bike to the Adv. I didn't have any problems except getting used to being up higher which makes everything feel slower so you end up speeding all the time. I love every second of it and wouldn't trade the 990 for anything, well until I wanna change my oil. :lol3

Grinderman 09-26-2012 07:36 PM

First street bike I owned and 2nd dirt bike. The first dirt bike I owned was a drz 100 25 yrs ago. I have learned to ride the big ktm in the dirt just fine. Respect loose downhills and know your limits with the bike. It takes a fall with the best of them and you well have a ball!!! Do it, it well not be regretted.:D

propilot10 09-26-2012 07:58 PM

My 990 was my first bike. I'm 38 and reflective and cautious. It's been pretty easy for me to get use to. Just be mindful when you head out of all the potential dangers and ride within your comfort and experience level. I think the best place to start is a rider safety course if you haven't done so already and if it's been a long time might consider doing it again. This should give you a good idea where your at. In most areas they provide you with a small bike to get your feet wet. Then if you get the ktm you can take it down and go through the intermediate and even advance classes. Most are taught using your bike. That way you can gain experience on it with expert supervision. Plus it will drop your insurance rates.

Just a thought. You will be safer and feel confident. Hope this helps.

GoNOW 09-26-2012 09:24 PM

I had ridden motorcycles before, but in affect, I started out on a 950. I would not do it again. I beat the crap out of a really nice bike and almost killed myself a few times. I have since taken as many riding courses as I could and they improved my skill an unbelievable amount. You have to take classes designed for the bigger bikes since riding them is very different then street or normal dirt bikes. I should say riding them well.

If I had to do it over, I would spend a year or two on a DR, KLR, etc that was already well used and learn the ropes on the cheaper bike. Then go upgrade.

GZERO 09-26-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propilot10 (Post 19689100)
My 990 was my first bike. I'm 38 and reflective and cautious. It's been pretty easy for me to get use to. Just be mindful when you head out of all the potential dangers and ride within your comfort and experience level. I think the best place to start is a rider safety course if you haven't done so already and if it's been a long time might consider doing it again. This should give you a good idea where your at. In most areas they provide you with a small bike to get your feet wet. Then if you get the ktm you can take it down and go through the intermediate and even advance classes. Most are taught using your bike. That way you can gain experience on it with expert supervision. Plus it will drop your insurance rates.

Just a thought. You will be safer and feel confident. Hope this helps.

we are all different and have different backgrounds.
but i think this is the best advice, courses.
BTW: 950/990 like to get you into trouble, they are bikes that demand good drivers.

propilot10 09-26-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GZERO (Post 19689672)
we are all different and have different backgrounds.
but i think this is the best advice, courses.
BTW: 950/990 like to get you into trouble, they are bikes that demand good drivers.

I totally agree. I think my background has had a big impact on my ridding abilities. And yes, the bike beckons you to push it. But setting a personal limit is key. Something I would have never done in my 20s. Glad I could not afford a bike back then.

STROM-CRF450X-990SMT 09-27-2012 12:14 AM

Agreed, I think the 990 as an adventure bike is definitely more suited to the more experienced. It does certainly command respect of the twist grip etc. That said, a smart head will adapt and learn quick enough, but certainly it is not the easy route to experience. Especially if you are short.

DragonNester 09-27-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyaon (Post 19688543)
Hello,

...Or it's too much weight and power for the beginner.

Don't put yourself behind the learning curve by making this your first bike. If you have to have it, buy a cheap 250 DS bike along with it to learn off-road technique. You can't watch videos to become proficient at it, but they can point you in the right direction if they are instructional videos like "Dual Sport Riding Techniques"...there is no substitute for experience.

henryroten 09-27-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyaon (Post 19688543)
Hello,

After reading many posts on this forum I see that a lot of people have several years off road riding experience before they switched to 990 Adventure.

I would like to ask if someone has 990 Adventure as they first bike? Or it's too much weight and power for the beginner.

I believe that these big bikes are too much weight and power for most riders, not just beginners. I have been riding/racing off road for years and I find the 990 to be a whole new world, different and more difficult in most ways.

If you are flat footed on it, you could make it a great street bike. If you go off road, prepare to fall (and practice lifting it up in your driveway before you go out!).

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:08 PM.