ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Acura MDX or Honda Pilot owners? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830739)

BHW 10-01-2012 10:09 AM

Acura MDX or Honda Pilot owners?

Anyone here drive a Pilot or MDX? I'm thinking about picking one up as a daily driver/kid hauler. Looking at used ones, probably 2004-2006. I know the early ones had transmission problems...up to 2004 I believe. Comments?

Yooper_Bob 10-01-2012 10:25 AM

We've got a 2007 Honda Pilot that we purchased brand new...it has been absolutely flawless.

Currently almost 70K miles on it, and it has NEVER been in the shop.

Everything on it still works, and it still drives like new.

Plenty of room, plenty of power, and gas mileage in the high 20's.

Handles very well in the snow (which we have plenty of!).

I would buy another one without hesitation.

BHW 10-01-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob (Post 19719753)
We've got a 2007 Honda Pilot that we purchased brand new...it has been absolutely flawless.

Plenty of room, plenty of power, and gas mileage in the high 20's.

I really want a 3rd row seat....but don't want a Sequoia, Tahoe, etc. I already have one guzzler, my Tundra. Everything I've read on the Pilot/MDX says mileage ranges from 16-19, with low 20s on extended highway trips. Is yours a hybrid?

Yooper_Bob 10-01-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHW (Post 19719784)
I really want a 3rd row seat....but don't want a Sequoia, Tahoe, etc. I already have one guzzler, my Tundra. Everything I've read on the Pilot/MDX says mileage ranges from 16-19, with low 20s on extended highway trips. Is yours a hybrid?

Ours has the 3rd row seat....it really only good for kids, but does get used once in a while.

Ours is NOT a hybrid....I have not done an actual mileage check, but on long highway trips the mileage is very good (especially, compared to my GMC 2500HD crewcab which gets 11-12 mpg :eek1).

BHW 10-01-2012 12:24 PM

Yeah, the 3rd row would be stowed 95% of the time. But it would be nice to be able to take my two kids and another adult or two without having to take two vehicles. Most likely only used when grandparents are visiting, etc. The extra space would be nice for trips too. For several years we had either a Honda Passport or a Toyota 4Runner. The last few years we've had neither, and I kinda miss the utility of an SUV. But the one thing we've never had was the 3rd row seat, which I've love to have, without the mini-van factor! :wink:

I'm just looking to park my Tundra except for days when really need a truck. It's old and beat up, but still runs well...and it's paid for.

Cigar 10-01-2012 01:02 PM

Purchased a new 2003 Pilot when they came out in 2002. Still have it with 179k on the clock son still drives daily. Very little problems.

kobudo28 10-01-2012 01:52 PM

I purchased a 2003 Pilot new, no problems and I got almost 24 mpg highway. Sold it and bought an 07 Ridgeline. 32K on it, zero problems.

My son has an 03 Pilot with 135,000 on it and other than regular wear and tear items there have been zero problems with it. The biggest problem I have with it is trying to keep up with the surface rust so that is does not get away from me. Salty NH winter roads you know.

Two of my sister in laws have Pilots, zero problems with either.

The Pilot is very versitile and it bigger on the inside than it seems. There is a lot to like IMHO. Still not sure about the new body style though.

VegasKLRider 10-01-2012 02:11 PM

I have a 2011 Pilot EX 4WD with about 30,000 miles on it. It has been on several road trips. It has tons of room, extremely comfortable ride (think Lincoln Town Car), ample power (is there ever enough?), plenty of bells and whistles and good build quality. I average 19 mpg driving city and highway even with the AC on. Highway-only goes up to 23 or so. The MDX is pretty much the same, only it costs more and looks a bit more streamlined.

Keep in mind that it isn't designed for hard core offroad use, but the 4WD system makes rain or snow much less dramatic. It is the most surefooted vehicle in those conditions that I have ever driven.

All in all I am thrilled with it.

Motomantra 10-01-2012 03:57 PM

We are second owner on an '03 Pilot. The only trans problem was a 4th gear sensor (located outside) that warranty fixed. As a Honda tech for 23 years, I've put dozens of trannys in the Odyssey, but not the Pilot. It's got about 120k on it now. No other issues.
Mileage runs 17 to 22. There's a lot of room inside compared to the overall size of the vehicle.
The 4WD system is not for serious four wheeling. Just drive it.
The "fly by wire" throttle body came in '06. I prefer the cable throttle type.
Just be sure the one you find has had proper maintenance. T belt, spk plugs, valve adjust all due at 105k. ($$$$)

BHW 10-01-2012 05:45 PM

I'm going to be looking closely to see if they have had proper maintenance. A lot of what I'm looking at is right around the 100,000 mile mark. I bought my Avalon with 110,00 on the odometer...and according to a Carfax report and by checking the vin with Toyota, I found it had been maintained, timing belt replaced, etc already. What I don't want is to buy one and have to spend $1500 on it right away. I like the looks of the Pilot more than the MDX, but like the interior of the MDX more....even though it's smaller inside than the Pilot.

Ursa Major 10-01-2012 05:56 PM

I've had one of each, a 2004 Pilot (I only owned it from 72,000 miles to 75,000 miles before selling it on) and a 2008 MDX I owned from new to 26,000 miles, when I traded it to the first owner of the Pilot (a co-worker) for the Pilot plus a lot of cash - I only needed an occasional car in that location and the Pilot was fine for the purpose. No problems with either one. I don't have kids, I had them as all-around snow country SUV's in Park City. I never had the third row up in either one, but the new owners of both (and the first owner of the Pilot) both use them all the time. They're great soccer-mom-mobiles.

My only issue with the Pilot was road noise, which is unfortunately a Honda affliction, I've got the same issue with my 2011 Ridgeline, which is basically a long wheelbase Pilot pickup. The MDX was quieter; mine is the newer generation than the ones you're looking at. The mileage on both was around 18-19 mpg (better than the Ridgeline, where I'm at 16-17).

Great cars for the purpose; I think the MDX is one of the best, most underrated SUV's available today. I'd buy another one in a second, you get a lot for the money.

straightrod 10-02-2012 07:20 AM

^ I can't stand road noise in a vehicle. The MDX is quiet, right?

BHW 10-02-2012 09:16 AM

Can anyone confirm if either the MDX or Pilot models from 2003-2006 had an auxillary audio input jack for MP3 players? The next vehicle I purchase will HAVE to have this, as neither of my current 2000 year model Toyotas do. The Tundra didn't get one until around 2002.

crampfan 10-02-2012 09:34 AM

Wife has an 04 Pilot 160k with only minor issues,and still look and drives like new. We bought it as a certified Honda when it was 6 months old. Crampwife is very hard on cars, this is the only one that she hasn't been able to destroy before 150k

SOLO LOBO 10-02-2012 09:37 AM

We have an '05 MDX that we got about three years ago... currently 95K miles.

Ours had the torque convertor fail, and I drove three other '05's that had the tell-tale judder from the failing TC.

Overall a great reliable vehicle... shitty 'round town MPG (~17) and quite if you buy the right tires.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:09 AM.