ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Rattle in the front (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831115)

bob393 10-02-2012 01:45 PM

Rattle in the front
 
I haven't taken the front of my GS apart to look for it yet but I have a dash, windshield,
or beak rattle at low RPM's. It's been down a few time and I'm on my second windshield
so something defiantly could be tweaked. Where would you look first?

JAB 10-02-2012 01:52 PM

Don't know the first thing about GS's but find your self a big rubber mallet and start (carefully) thumping your front tire and the ends of your bars. Could be something pushed into another thing making the rattle. Keep tapping/thumping things 'til you find and eliminate the source. Good luck.

JimVonBaden 10-02-2012 03:20 PM

Bob,

There is a pretty good chance your speedo cluster is loose. You might have lost one of the jesus clips, or a rubber isolator is worn out.

Also, check your windshield lower mounts. One of them could have sheared, but you can't tell by looking.

Jim :brow

PS Rattles are hard to diagnose on the internet.

Nacho911 10-02-2012 04:52 PM

The internal springs have a rattle in them. Most refer to it as a "clack". Bestrest products sell a $7.00 set of rubber stoppers clack "clack stoppers". This might be what you hear. You will only hear it in rougher terrain. I fkn hate the sound. Bought the Bestrest stuff a while ago just no time to install.

bob393 10-05-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 19730632)
Bob,

There is a pretty good chance your speedo cluster is loose. You might have lost one of the jesus clips, or a rubber isolator is worn out.

Also, check your windshield lower mounts. One of them could have sheared, but you can't tell by looking.

Jim :brow

PS Rattles are hard to diagnose on the internet.

Your being nice, rattles are impossible to diagnose over the internet.

I will look into the mounts and clips, I'm only sure that the lower windshield mounts are tight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacho911 (Post 19731279)
The internal springs have a rattle in them. Most refer to it as a "clack". Bestrest products sell a $7.00 set of rubber stoppers clack "clack stoppers". This might be what you hear. You will only hear it in rougher terrain. I fkn hate the sound. Bought the Bestrest stuff a while ago just no time to install.

I can't find those "clack stoppers" on the Bestrest site?

And yes I hate the sound also!

It only occurs at the lower lugging rpm. My first thought was the adventure windshield winglets were hitting the windshield but that's not it. It sure sounds like something inside or under the dash. It's not a heavy suspension type clunk just a fiberglass kind of rattle.

bob393 10-05-2012 07:06 PM

OK So I banged on it, shook it wiggled it and I can't get it to make any noise except
when I lug the engine in first or second gear. :baldy

FBB 10-05-2012 08:30 PM

Noise
 
Looked at the spacing on the beak? You said it had been down and maybe tweaked.

I had taken the beak off to install a oil cooler guard and apparently didn't get it quite right when I re installed it.,
Close, but not quite right even though everything looked OK and I got the same sort of sound. This was especially true when it was cold and I first started out for the day.

Pulled the beak back off and put it back on and the sound was gone.

Mine is a 2011 so not sure if my experience applies here so take it with a grain of salt. And maybe some Tequila... :freaky

bob393 10-06-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBB (Post 19758729)
Looked at the spacing on the beak? You said it had been down and maybe tweaked.

I had taken the beak off to install a oil cooler guard and apparently didn't get it quite right when I re installed it.,
Close, but not quite right even though everything looked OK and I got the same sort of sound. This was especially true when it was cold and I first started out for the day.

Pulled the beak back off and put it back on and the sound was gone.

Mine is a 2011 so not sure if my experience applies here so take it with a grain of salt. And maybe some Tequila... :freaky

Yes. When cold first thing in the morning. Yes. :clap

I'll pull it off and look. Thanks

hahmule 10-08-2012 12:36 PM

funny noises....
 
My rattle turned out to be the front of my engine guards. Givi bars on Wee Strom though.

bob393 10-11-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hahmule (Post 19774225)
My rattle turned out to be the front of my engine guards. Givi bars on Wee Strom though.

Thanks but that was the first thing I checked was the engine guard. Solid as a rock.

bob393 10-21-2012 10:59 AM

I fixed it in a ghetto way.

I placed two hard rubber wedges between the dash/windshield mounting tube and the beak plastics to the outside. Now its quiet as a pin drop.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014