ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tiger 800XC Replacement air filter options (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831404)

Dubl-A 10-03-2012 03:41 PM

Tiger 800XC Replacement air filter options

Hey guys/gals,

Anyone have any experience with MWR air filters? I'm hesitant to purchase a K&N being the documented dust filtration is less than ideal. What are you guys running on your Tiger??

$125.00
http://store.proitalia.com/images/MC-080-12-HE.jpg

Here's their site
http://store.proitalia.com/mwr-trium...-p-161022.html

Kawidad 10-04-2012 09:19 AM

:ear

Dubl-A 10-04-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawidad (Post 19745269)
:ear

Yea, almost 100 views no response. I'm seeing a trend with my threads. :(:

Are you still running the stock filter? Have you looked what it looks like so far? Mine is in bad shape @ 3k/ 2 months.

burmbuster 10-04-2012 12:00 PM

Stay with stock and get a pre-filter. Thats what I am doing. With the pre-filter you should be able to keep the stock filter clean for a minimum of twice the time it would normaly need changing.

Evomx971 10-04-2012 12:30 PM

I think the stock filter has acceptable performance but don't like that it can't be cleaned and is a pain to get to. Uni in Australia has a pre-filter that several guys did a group-buy on and I missed it. This is my home-brew solution:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=14515

Dubl-A 10-07-2012 09:10 AM

Pre-filter may be the way to go, easier to get to I guess

What are you guys with 10k+miles /Heavy dirt riding mi doing with your filter, OEM everytime? Anyone experiencing dirty intake manifold area with K&N filters?? :ear

Dubl-A 10-07-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evomx971 (Post 19746943)
I think the stock filter has acceptable performance but don't like that it can't be cleaned and is a pain to get to. Uni in Australia has a pre-filter that several guys did a group-buy on and I missed it. This is my home-brew solution:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=14515

Slick setup!

One question though. I've seen on the forums the battery area get wet/muddy/etc... do you think the side holes expose a possible water path??

Dubl-A 10-30-2012 07:42 AM

Anyone with a K&N, can you please post up a picture of the clean side of the intake after you remove your dirty filter for cleaning??

I'm going to pull the trigger this week on a reusable or paper filter but I've had mediocre results running K&N filters on dirt bikes with the dust and all.

Any help is greatly appreciated all! :thumb

Riot 10-30-2012 08:49 AM

K&N = good for track & good for power.
BAD for engine wear in dusty environments.
Stick with OEM IMHO

Dubl-A 10-30-2012 12:03 PM

yea I figured.

Anyone with the UNI Pre-filter had a chance to snap a pic of what the OEM filter looked like at maintenance time?? Please post up how long/miles you went

jphish 11-01-2012 08:33 AM

I've tried K&N - on Uly wasnt too bad, but air box was up high where gas tank is found on "normal" bikes. Down lower, as found on tiggers, not so good. Found a lot of fine dust in TB's. I use stock filter with uni-prefilter. Some (or many) may argue against this practice - but on my Girlie, I'd GENTLY knock out dust - then submerge filter in bucket of warm water with a few oz of simple green, soak for 5 mins, then swish around, rinse & let air dry completely. Just like small painting jobs, can accelerate drying time with warm (not hot!), extinguished oven. (provided wife is at work - but she has however, inquired: "Hey - How come the chicken smells like cleaning fluid?"... "I dunno - maybe they dipped 'em in disinfectant at the chicken factory?") Anyway - don't recommend any oiled foam filter as final / only source of filtration.

Dubl-A 11-01-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jphish (Post 19946103)
I've tried K&N - on Uly wasnt too bad, but air box was up high where gas tank is found on "normal" bikes. Down lower, as found on tiggers, not so good. Found a lot of fine dust in TB's. I use stock filter with uni-prefilter. Some (or many) may argue against this practice - but on my Girlie, I'd GENTLY knock out dust - then submerge filter in bucket of warm water with a few oz of simple green, soak for 5 mins, then swish around, rinse & let air dry completely. Just like small painting jobs, can accelerate drying time with warm (not hot!), extinguished oven. (provided wife is at work - but she has however, inquired: "Hey - How come the chicken smells like cleaning fluid?"... "I dunno - maybe they dipped 'em in disinfectant at the chicken factory?") Anyway - don't recommend any oiled foam filter as final / only source of filtration.

Good info JP, thanks for the insight! I figured this would be the case and I might as well do the pre-filter.

Kawidad 11-02-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jphish (Post 19946103)

K&N filters are not "oiled foam" they are a cotton gauze impregnated with oil. Different media. Oiled foam filters are excellent filtration media and work well if properly cared for and maintained. The K&N method is more controversial. :deal

Dubl-A 11-02-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawidad (Post 19953663)
K&N filters are not "oiled foam" they are a cotton gauze impregnated with oil. Different media. Oiled foam filters are excellent filtration media and work well if properly cared for and maintained. The K&N method is more controversial. :deal

I did not know that, thanks for the info Kawi! :ricky

jphish 11-02-2012 09:14 PM

I've used oiled "media' (be it foam or fabric) filters on many machines as primary filtration but never as "final" or ONLY filter in extremely dusty conditions. This includes farm machinery, with thousands of hours on the engines. All ya have to do is compare the intake areas using only oiled media filters vs paper - it really shows the difference. A larger % of the really fine stuff gets though. The best set up is to use both. Most my dirt riding aint dusty in this part of the world - only when I head south or east does xtra filtration become necessary.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:00 AM.