ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Can an unbalanced wheel blow the shock? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831764)

bens109 10-04-2012 09:09 PM

Can an unbalanced wheel blow the shock?

I recently picked up a second hand BMW G60X-Challenge with a brand new Hagon coil shock installed (the bike previously had an Ohlins but the guy I bought it off wanted to hang on to it). Since then I have put less than 30Km on the bike before the shock blew - leaking oil and no dampening.

As the shock was new I rang up the Hagon distributer about having the shock repaired under warranty. The Hagon rep has asked me to send the unit to him to be inspected but also told me that the most likely cause was running a unbalanced rear wheel which may not be covered under warranty. The only time I've ever seen a rear shock blow has been under extreme riding or on a vintage bike so this all seems a bit strange to me.

Has anyone here ever had a similar situation?

whisperquiet 10-04-2012 09:42 PM

I guess anything is possible, but sounds like BS to me. A sizeable number of people probably never ever balance the rear tire/wheel on their dual dsport/dirt bike and don't have shock leakage. I've been riding over 41 years and have never experienced a blown shock.............and not always easy on the bikes when ridden.

JimVonBaden 10-04-2012 10:04 PM

BS. No way that will cause a shock to blow without the wheel being so unbalanced that the bike nearly rattled itself apart!

Jim :brow

beemerkid 10-04-2012 11:47 PM

No way, JVB is right. If wheel vibration was strong enough to blow the shock, you would KNOW it.

anotherguy 10-05-2012 06:29 AM

Both my off road bikes run rim locks. Severely unbalanced condition. I am crowding 300 lbs. geared up and never blown a seal. Ask the gentleman how that works. I'm calling BS.

LuciferMutt 10-05-2012 06:42 AM

Sigh. Where the fuck do reps come up with this horseshit? Warranties are so fucking useless because they damn manufacturer ALWAYS weasels out of repairing anything.

Sounds like your seller installed a botched shock or damaged it installing it. My guess it the shock shaft got nicked during the install (or already was) or the shock was misaligned during the install and tweaked the shaft.

Twilight Error 10-05-2012 06:45 AM

That explanation works *maybe* if you've got a square or triangular wheel, and I'm fairly certain you'd notice that condition.

No, the shock failure is likely a bad assembly job. If Hagon jerks you around, simply take your business elsewhere.

Mangle 10-11-2012 12:56 PM

So this rep is claiming that the minor vibration of an imbalanced wheel (must be minor if you didn't notice it) does more damage than the abuse of everyday riding, braking, rough roads, speed bumps, etc?

:baldy

I call bull. Don't let him weasel out -- how is he going to claim the tire out 'out of balance?'

SNAPGADGET 10-14-2012 05:56 PM

BS...now I have heard it all. Make them PAY!!!

baloneyskin daddy 10-14-2012 07:06 PM

Better check the muffler bearings while you're at it.

Truckin_Thumper 10-14-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 19751281)
BS. No way that will cause a shock to blow without the wheel being so unbalanced that the bike nearly rattled itself apart!

Jim :brow

I bet a Hawgley Furgeson could :lol3

buls4evr 10-15-2012 08:03 AM

Total nonsense. Likely a bad shock when it was installed and now oil is going past seal. OR.... You weigh a lot more than the original owner, the spring is way light and you just smashed the upper and lower units together so hard they are now distorted and ruined. It does not take long to destroy a shock with a way too soft spring!

H96669 10-15-2012 09:06 AM

A little Googleing.....brought me to some links where it looks like some had to wait for their Hagons, they were replacing the seals in all of them prior to shipping as they were blowing out in field tests.:wink:

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:40 AM.