ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   comcast (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831960)

2manyrides 10-05-2012 04:42 PM

comcast

I gotta post this up before I forget about it!

A couple weeks ago I left home at a very easy pace on a 25 mph residential street. In between stop signs I had to make a stop to avoid being slung from the bike with a cable to the neck.

He's one comcast guy on a poletop on the left side of the street attaching a cable, another comcast guy over at the house on the right side of the street doing something. I stopped 20' before the cable which was at neck height. There were no orange cones, no utility trucks in the road, no flagman to control traffic, no warrning. I gave them a polite piece of my mind and got an "i'm sorry".
At home later I reported to comcast via telephone. They didn't act overly concerned about the incident but stated that this proceedure would be gone over at their next contractor's meeting.
Funny how they can get away with using joe unemployed and his own vehicel to go do service installs when these characters have no clue about saftey.

Any thoughts?

Pantah 10-05-2012 05:06 PM

Nothing to think about. You stopped short so what is it you want here?

2manyrides 10-05-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantah (Post 19757076)
Nothing to think about. You stopped short so what is it you want here?

:lol3I want justice! Really just sharing an experiance in the perfect line thread. But I did get something good...and that's the witty response below!:deal
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by keswind (Post 19757189)
Maybe a couple of new CIA recruits doing their first phone tap. Not to worry, they're government. They won't do it again. If they do, they'll get a warning not to do it again. If they do, they'll ....

Maybe they were Navy SEALS on an urban reconnaissance mission to get your license plate number. If you saw the wire and stopped...they got your number. If you didn't see the wire, well, all they have to do is turn their camera 90 degrees left or right and they still got your number :D

opmike 10-05-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22manyrides (Post 19756922)
Any thoughts?

Not much to say really, you just ran into one of what is surely the thousands of inane instances of bullshit that occur in a town on a given day.

I'm pretty sure haphazardly stretching cables across roads isn't standard procedure, so I don't expect Comcast to do much of anything different...except maybe reprimand the employee if they get wind of who was responsible.

BSamms 10-06-2012 02:16 PM

So you had time to notice the dude on the pole, the other dude across the street, work vehicles parked, and had time to see the cable itself, all before being horribly killed by some deadly RG-6 doom. You were going the speed limit of 25, so when you saw work vehicles and workers you should have slowed to 10-15. Do you really need a sign and cone to tell you these things? I used to string cable for a living and you would not believe the extent of the safety protocols we were supposed to adhere to. So what if a couple grunts were stringing a drop that takes 5 min. And didn't want to do 30 min of prep to save that one motorcyclist who would prefer to cruise around oblivious to the everyday hazards of riding. He only thing to bitch about was having to make the effort to be aware, instead of having bright orange colors doing it for you.

2manyrides 10-06-2012 02:46 PM

^^^^

This is a really good rant! And brings in a voice from the other side. Although, "stringing a drop that takes 5 min" ect...might be true, much of the picture painted does not match the circumstances.

"oblivious to the everyday hazards of riding", come on, I take pride in taking it easy and being observant.

Bikehigh 10-06-2012 02:59 PM

I think I have their cones. I've been using a couple really nice cones, courtesy of Comcast contractors who left them behind and never came back, for the last six months or so for my landscaping business. Sorry about that. :D

viverrid 10-06-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSamms (Post 19762102)
...I used to string cable for a living and you would not believe the extent of the safety protocols we were supposed to adhere to. So what if a couple grunts were stringing a drop that takes 5 min. And didn't want to do 30 min of prep...

Safety is just SO fucking inconvenient. Wow, it might take them an extra 25 minutes to not kill someone. (If I even beleived it would take that long to take precautions.)

YOU DON'T DANGLE A CABLE ACROSS A ROAD AT NECK HEIGHT. Leave it on the ground until you have control of your work area. Too lazy to do their jobs right is what they were.

flyinfuzz 10-10-2012 12:47 AM

Phone company was stringing new line beside a hay field . Saturday comes and we started mowing. They had laid the line inside the field when they quit Friday. Showed them wrapped up about 300 ft in the mower. :ruskie

glasswave 10-10-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22manyrides (Post 19756922)
Funny how they can get away with using joe unemployed and his own vehicel to go do service installs when these characters have no clue about saftey.

Any thoughts?

Maybe they were neighborhood cable thieves.

FirstPath 10-10-2012 07:15 AM

I would drop any sort of relationship I had with Comcast and would begin complete premium service with DISH Network as soon as possible. We have great deals remaining on the NFL package!!

See you soon...

Joe Clayton
President, CEO and Grand Pooba of Dish Network

ABHooligan 10-14-2012 02:26 PM

I had a winch cable stretched across the road once to straighten my mailbox post (previous resident had buried it about 47 feet deep). After two squids flipped over it and created a small pile, other folks saw it and turned around.

windmill 10-14-2012 05:57 PM

I can't say if what they were doing was technically correct or not,

BUT.................................................. ..........

Whenever I see any sort of service or utility work trucks, and workers doing something on or along side a road, I automatically slow down and lookout for hazards.

It should be common sense not requiring signage, and common courtesy respecting someones work space.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:46 AM.