ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Possible move to Boise (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834091)

hyperboarder 10-14-2012 01:25 PM

Possible move to Boise
 
So due to some family health stuff, we're starting to look at moving to Boise. My wife and I grew up there, I came here for college and have stuck around, but it looks like going back is probably the right choice for us. I'm touching base with my contacts there, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to stop by here too. The biggest concern right now is a job, I've got a good gig here as a quality engineer and I'm a degreed mechanical engineer with design, quality, and metrology experience. I worked for a division of Micron based in Longmont and left on good terms, so that's a definite possibility. Anyone got any leads? :evil

On top of that I have no motorcycle experience with Idaho. From the ride reports it looks comparable to here, maybe not quite as good but by no means bad. I'm not a great single track rider but I love nice scenic stuff and double track suitable for the big 1WD Ural.

On the past few visits I've very much enjoyed the burgeoning beer scene, so that's a plus. Seems the nightlife has gotten better since I left too, and I know Bogus Basin is a great place to learn to ski/ride. Anything else I should be aware of?

Sport 10-14-2012 01:44 PM

Employment that pays is your biggest problem in Idaho. I compared my position in CA to one in ID and the pay was slightly less than half of what I get in CA. Sure, some things are cheaper in ID but overall, the pay just doesn't quite cut it. The whole state is depressed and good paying jobs are scarce.

hyperboarder 10-14-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport (Post 19816346)
Employment that pays is your biggest problem in Idaho. I compared my position in CA to one in ID and the pay was slightly less than half of what I get in CA. Sure, some things are cheaper in ID but overall, the pay just doesn't quite cut it. The whole state is depressed and good paying jobs are scarce.

Being an engineer, I've already put together a large weighted comparison matrix that includes median income. The "upside" if you can call it that, is the job I have right now doesn't pay that well, so the drop wouldn't be that drastic. We've already checked my wife's potential salary, looks like it'd be 20% less than here, which is about in line with the cost of living differences.

IDRIDR 10-15-2012 07:51 AM

You should find plenty of scenic riding opportunities and others to ride with. This club may be one to check out http://www.motoidaho.com/. Although it's not my thing, downtown nightlife seems to be good. Many bars carry the local brewed beverages. Boise enacted smokeless statutes so the bars in Boise are smoke free. Sorry, no good job leads for you.

hyperboarder 10-21-2012 12:50 PM

Thanks to those that have PM'd me, the help is much appreciated. Anyone else have any leads in the area? Still trying to work the current gig remotely, but no guarantees on if that's possible.

hyperboarder 11-18-2012 06:29 PM

Update: Looks like this is going through, probably in June. Also looks like the odds of keeping the current job and doing it remotely are up, probably about 50/50 at this point. So now the bigger questions are mostly around where to live. Thinking east Boise, pretty decent budget. My biggest concern is what to do until we find a place, anyone know any rental houses over the summer that are ok with dogs?

bdefen 11-19-2012 08:43 AM

Try here....
 
http://www.realrentals.com/houses_for_rent/?city=Boise&state=Idaho+ID

hyperboarder 02-07-2013 06:09 AM

Another update, this is indeed happening, I'll soon have to migrate over from the Rockies to the PNWet forum. Our house here is under contract and will close 2/26. Looking actively in the Boise/Meridian area for a 4+ bed/2+ bath/3+ car garage in the 200-300k range if anyone knows of anything. Staying onboard as a remote employee for the current employer.

So about this riding, any literature I should pick up aside from the Butler map?

obrianmcc 02-07-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperboarder (Post 20669071)
Another update, this is indeed happening, I'll soon have to migrate over from the Rockies to the PNWet forum. Our house here is under contract and will close 2/26. Looking actively in the Boise/Meridian area for a 4+ bed/2+ bath/3+ car garage in the 200-300k range if anyone knows of anything. Staying onboard as a remote employee for the current employer.

So about this riding, any literature I should pick up aside from the Butler map?

Finding a place meeting your criteria shouldn't be too difficult. I'd however recommend renting first so you can re-familiarize yourself with the area and where you might prefer to buy.

Handy 02-07-2013 07:20 AM

Do the IAMC 2013 Challenge and your are guaranteed to find some great rides and see some awesome parts of the state.
I like the Delorme Idaho Atlas and Gazateer better than Benchmark because it has topo maps, shaded relief just doesn't do it for me.
Welcome back!:clap

IDRIDR 02-07-2013 03:00 PM

Can be helpful http://trails.idaho.gov/

hyperboarder 02-10-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obrianmcc (Post 20669116)
Finding a place meeting your criteria shouldn't be too difficult. I'd however recommend renting first so you can re-familiarize yourself with the area and where you might prefer to buy.

I neglected to mention that the wife is preggers, due in July, so we are planning on avoiding renting if at all possible. On the plus side, we've been visiting so damn often that I'm quite comfortable with the area and where we want to live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handy (Post 20669496)
Do the IAMC 2013 Challenge and your are guaranteed to find some great rides and see some awesome parts of the state.
I like the Delorme Idaho Atlas and Gazateer better than Benchmark because it has topo maps, shaded relief just doesn't do it for me.
Welcome back!:clap

I took a look and didn't see the IAMC 2013 sites up yet, do those come out of the meeting on Saturday? Added the Delorme to the wishlist, thanks for the heads up!

Handy 02-10-2013 02:19 PM

There are lots of homes on the market in your price range, I don't think you will have a problem finding a suitable house.
I think they sell the DeLorme at Sportsman's Warehouse for five bucks cheaper than anywhere else, downside is they don't always have them in stock because they get bough up.

hyperboarder 04-18-2013 07:21 PM

See you FF's soon. Moving to Meridian on the 27th.

tvbh40a 04-21-2013 05:21 PM

Give
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperboarder (Post 21219897)
See you FF's soon. Moving to Meridian on the 27th.

Us the heads up on and when and where and we can set a record on move in time.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014