ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask Baldy, blame AceRph (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fix a large number of images? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837138)

Smackit 10-27-2012 07:07 PM

Fix a large number of images?

This horrible company know as Apple decided to destroy billions of bits of web linked content when they took MobileMe offline. I had several hundred photos linked in various threads and a few people PM'ed me wondering what happened to the pics.

Is there a way to correct a couple hundred links found in many different threads? Here is an example link.

hxxp://gallery.me.com/stupidexmacuser/100011/may_2010_h003/web.jpg

The logic would require two steps.

#1 Fix the server link
FIND = hxxp://gallery.me.com/stupidexmacuser/
REPLACE = hxxp://mynewwebserver.com/

#2 Fix the stupid MobileMe link at the end.
FIND = /web.jpg
REPLACE = .jpg

I can do this in a text editor quite easily, but with vBulletin, it looks like I have to hunt down and modify every single post I made.

:becca

Cheers!
ChinaV

tedder 10-27-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaV (Post 19914518)
I can do this in a text editor quite easily, but with vBulletin, it looks like I have to hunt down and modify every single post I made.

You only have ~250 posts. Guessing less than that with pictures. There's no general automated way to do this. Hell, Amazon S3 just added redirects after 5+ years. This is one of the reasons many geeks use their own photo hosting.

Smackit 10-28-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedder (Post 19915199)
This is one of the reasons many geeks use their own photo hosting.

Yes, I was foolish to think that trusting the largest tech company in the world with a paid photo hosting service would last. I know 250 posts isn't a lot, but it's a lot of work to find the important images and re-link them.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers!
ChinaV

Wolfgang55 10-28-2012 06:09 AM

lost good stuff

I too feel your loss of my personal photo history. One would think the Apple folks & other computer companies would take into consideration our concerns about distroying OUR history, while they build their own.
Using the MAC I do, but no longer suggest it to others who ask me about the products......so maybe someday they too will feel the sting of a loss, in their pocket book

chrome bandit 11-05-2012 06:40 AM

Two other thoughts on this...here's the approach I would take...

1) Go back and update just the posts over the past couple of years, as well as key trip reports. Let the older stuff go. Yah, it's painful. I assume you know how to find all posts you've written via the vBulletin profile tool.

2) Update your sig to include a pointer to where all of your photos are now. So if anyone runs across a missing image and are really curious, they can look it up via your web site. Your option whether to include an editorial message around your photo migration.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:45 PM.