ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hacks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Kickstarter, starting here: (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837739)

Pugsley/Hobbfather 10-30-2012 09:02 AM

Kickstarter, starting here:

Watch this space:

I am starting a Kickstarter campaign to finalise a dream.

I have the bike.
I have the fab shop.
I have the pieces.
I have the design.
I have the frame started.
I have the time...

Fourteen years ago, I developed the concept of building a sidecar for some future motorcycle, preferably a Britbike of some description, a Triumph, BSA, Norton or even an old Honda 750 or Harley Sportster capable of pulling approximately 300lbs of combined sidecar and equipment.
The sidecar would be shaped like an anvil, and include a small portable forge, anvil, vise, 2 hammers, a few sets of tongs, fuel, bar stock and water necessary to do at least basic forging.
The original concept was to include Polaroid pictures (the technology of the time) to document the place of creation for some work of art, whether it be a knife, series of smaller items, or a wall-mounted piece inspired by the vistas of mountain overlooks throughout Vermont.
Each piece was to include the pictures, descriptions, time and date of the creation, and techniques used to finish back at the shop. Some pieces could be designed, created and finished on site.
Over the years, this has evolved only slightly, mostly as the technology of documentation can now include a small computer, digital camera, and online Ĺbloggingĺ about the process of creation. What remains is the basic design, fourteen more years of experience as a blacksmith, and the desire to create artwork normally requiring a large shop and a lot of heavy equipment while traveling and seeking inspiration where I find it.
Objects collected along the road will be incorporated into the designs and materials of the pieces themselves, and the locations, condition and circumstances of their discovery will also be part of the story.
Materials required will be sourced locally whenever possible, salvaged, scavenged, or bartered for, they should reflect the locale, and be part of the story as well. Beeswax candles from local apiaries, local wood for handle materials, leather shops, antique shops, junkyards, wineries, farms, butchers...these will be my suppliers.

What I need is the money, so I still have the time. I'll update when the Kickstarter launches, and progress along the way.
I think 3 months on the road in the spring with my dog will be a great adventure, and hopefully will meet some inmates along the way. No need to kick in, maybe just a beer or a couch here and there.:freaky

Mohawk Badger 10-30-2012 11:50 AM

A great idea

Please keep up up to date on the project. As it progresses I'd love to ride up to see what you are doing.

leejosepho 10-30-2012 05:59 PM

One-of-a-kind is best, I say. We are of the same ilk.

Keep us posted ...

Pugsley/Hobbfather 10-31-2012 06:56 AM

Rewards

So, Kickstarter wants creative rewards, and I'm spending the day making up some good ones. Since it's public art, I'm offering large backers their choice of places, materials, etc.

But what about smaller backers?

$25 would get you a mention in the book/DVD credits.

$50, maybe the above plus...A beer bottle opening keychain? Stamped with the new maker's mark for the journey?

$100??

I'll be thinking of ideas for the rest of the day.

Feel free to chime in!

bmwhacker 10-31-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRONE (Post 19933058)
What is Kickstarter?

Answer-- HERE

A cerebral alternative for panhandling?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...600/beggar.jpg

MotoJ 11-01-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugsley/Hobbfather (Post 19931936)

I have the bike.
I have the fab shop.
I have the pieces.
I have the design.
I have the frame started.

Pics of all, plus portfolio, would be helpful.

Pugsley/Hobbfather 11-01-2012 08:22 AM

Pics:

Pics will be incorporated.
If it's not totally hijacked by the webring, my site is:

www.livingironforge.com

You might have to click through a few frames since the webring link needs to be removed.:deal

MotoJ 11-01-2012 10:22 AM

Very cool! Love the dragon.

Pugsley/Hobbfather 11-04-2012 05:48 AM

Video now possible

Downloaded some software last night to edit my video...

...there's a lot to do for this thing!

Pugsley/Hobbfather 02-26-2013 09:48 AM

Amazon

OK, so, I went several rounds with Amazon WAY back in November.

Then in December they made it difficult to send money to someone else.

Now, after everything was working, they are back to not knowing I exist.

Seriously thinking of IndieGoGo, or any of the THOUSAND other crowd funding sites.

Too bad I already have a relationship (sorta) with KickStarter. I thought I was an Amazon customer, but why bother if I can buy from them, but not sell through them?

Pugsley/Hobbfather 03-12-2013 09:23 AM

Redemption!

Amazon is back in good standing with me.

My KickStarter campaign is live!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ge-and-foundry

:clap

Barnone 03-12-2013 09:42 AM

v. panĚhanĚdled, panĚhanĚdling, panĚhanĚdles
To approach strangers and beg for money or food.
:rofl

Pugsley/Hobbfather 03-13-2013 07:49 AM

Florida

I thought that was the non-peninsula part of Florida...or the part of Oklahoma that the wind forgot...

Pugsley/Hobbfather 03-18-2013 09:07 AM

Starting slowly

So, since there's no way to tell where this is all headed, with the time crunch, and a season that gets a lot busier as it warms up, I've had a few thoughts:

ADVers get automatic upgrade (natch) on backer rewards. Currently I'm thinking that the $25 level, you'd get an opener, instead of just a virtual handshake (they retail for $20 anyway...)

At the $50 level, instead of a regular-old bottle opener or something simple, I'd work with you on the design...which is the hundred-dollar level.

At $100, you'd get a few to share with your friends...instead of 1.

And just so that this isn't straight retailing, and going into the Vendor section (not a bad idea at that), the build log will begin as soon as I can take and upload pictures...part of the budget for the trip is a better computer and camera setup to document the journey and the artwork created along the way.

~me

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:27 PM.