ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   New, low gate on Mission Creek Road/FR9710 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840529)

1911fan 11-11-2012 08:17 AM

New, low gate on Mission Creek Road/FR9710
 
Went for a drive with a truckfull of dogs yesterday, intending to park at the Peavine intersection and hike past the closed gate to take a look at the washout repair on 9710 south of Cashmere. We were told last month by a Forest Circus employee that the road had been repaired so firefighters could use it.
Got about a half-mile off pavement, just at the end of the houses, and there is a NEW GATE! And of course, it's closed and locked. Happened recently; I don't remember seeing the gate last month. And more recently, there were footyprints and fresh tire tracks in the morning snow. So it looks like it was closed that morning.
This gate is a good two miles north of the Devil's Gulch trailhead. I have no idea why it's there and plan to call Monday to inquire. Given the Circus' policy of leaving gates closed once they install them, this has me concerned.


1911fan

n16ht5 11-11-2012 08:21 AM

UNot this again :(

1911fan 11-11-2012 08:28 AM

Yeah. Plus it's on the WABDR.


1911fan

shrubitup 11-11-2012 10:41 AM

Cool, time to make a go-round.

Mr. Cob 11-11-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911fan (Post 20019543)
Went for a drive with a truckfull of dogs yesterday, intending to park at the Peavine intersection and hike past the closed gate to take a look at the washout repair on 9710 south of Cashmere. We were told last month by a Forest Circus employee that the road had been repaired so firefighters could use it.
Got about a half-mile off pavement, just at the end of the houses, and there is a NEW GATE! And of course, it's closed and locked. Happened recently; I don't remember seeing the gate last month. And more recently, there were footyprints and fresh tire tracks in the morning snow. So it looks like it was closed that morning.
This gate is a good two miles north of the Devil's Gulch trailhead. I have no idea why it's there and plan to call Monday to inquire. Given the Circus' policy of leaving gates closed once they install them, this has me concerned.


1911fan

Howdy 1911fan,

It would appear that the same stupid thinking that has locked up the wet side of the Cascades has migrated to the dry side, you have every reason to be concerned as its NOT going to get any better.

ADVNCW 11-11-2012 09:27 PM

The area of the fires from Hwy 97 to beyond Mission Cr and the Naneun R SF remain Closed. However, the "I 90 grooming" group email from Tim Foss said that the Blewett Sno Park and winter recreation will be open.

USFS really does not monitor or manage beyond the Sno Parks much at all in winter.

But, sad to say, from my decades around here I expect non-winter closure of all of those areas for a year:cry 'Official' worry about falling snags and unstable boulders because of the fire.And although I know that some trails before were not logged out by USFS for 3-4 years at a time (I logged them when not done by USFS!) the restoration/ logging of trails provides delay and closure for x?? years...:huh

Some years back the Supervisor closed Mountaineer Cr (Stuart/ Colchuck/ Enchantments access) for the prime hiking/ climbing season so that the new concrete Road (!) bridges could cure properly. No one was allowed to hike through the extra mile, hopping the creek- it was easy on the old Trail bed a few feet over in the woods- I used to jog it! But on a Forum it was stated by USFS that a crossing log over a creek would be too hazardous- except then and now just 1000 ft uphill a log crossing is 'officially' used ove the creek on Eightmile Trail...:huh

It is what it is, the giganto bureaucracy does not blink nor care....:puke1

Sorry, my cynicism is fine-tuned from experience...

n16ht5 11-11-2012 09:40 PM

You probably need a form 27B-6

EntiatRider 11-15-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n16ht5 (Post 20024166)
You probably need a form 27B-6

I bought a wood cutting permit last week and even though I knew evryone at the FS, a visiting ranger was nice enough to take 1/2 an hour of my time to make sure I had all 14 documents with me after I collected my wood and was nice enough to go over every single rule there is about wood cutting. At one point I even said "Now, I'm the only local that even buys a permit" as they didn't even have any here (maybe they sold their 2 for the year, LOL) but the visiting ranger plodded on. My friends just smiled at left for a "safety meeting."

michaelyogi 11-15-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EntiatRider (Post 20048926)
My friends just smiled at left for a "safety meeting."

Washington may be a "safe" state but the Feds are still not safety minded... Neanderthals.

1911fan 11-15-2012 06:19 AM

Bob called back.
 
I got a call from Bob yesterday. The low gate is temporary and is there because they are doing road work on the lower section. As you all know, the road has washed out often. They are putting in waterbars and culverts to reduce this. The road is closed, temporarily, so they don't have to deal with traffic while they dig ditches across the road and so on. He said he could not get ahold of an engineer yesterday to get a reopening date.
Guess that makes sense. I saw a lot of surveyor droppings (grade stakes, etc) on my last few trips up there. If I understood him correctly, the gate will go away.


1911fan

Double H 11-15-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelyogi (Post 20049035)
Washington may be a "safe" state but the Feds are still not safety minded... Neanderthals.

I think he had a different safety meeting in mind :evil

michaelyogi 11-15-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelyogi (Post 20049035)
Washington may be a "safe" state but the Feds are still not safety minded... Neanderthals.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Double H (Post 20049507)
I think he had a different safety meeting in mind :evil


My statement still stands...

1911fan 11-16-2012 06:25 AM

Opening update
 
Bob called again yesterday, after having talked to the engineers. Gate will be closed until spring, so the new dirtwork and gravel can settle in without being disturbed. He restated that it's a temporary gate, there for the road construction period only.
The washout above/south of the Peavine Canyon intersection is NOT fixed. Too big of a project and they are waiting for grant money, which will probably be in 2014. We talked about 9710 being on the WABDR, which the FS had been unaware existed until firefighters kept having people ride through. He'd gone to the website and thought it was pretty cool.
So, great news: I pointed out to him that with the WABDR getting a lot of publicity, people are going to ride the Beehive Reservoir-Cashmere section, regardless of closed gates, because that's how people are. (Go read the WABDR thread for evidence.) With the washout, there's a distinct risk of injury. He wanted to know if, as a motorcyclist, I thought it would be a good idea to make a temporary repair that would make it safer for riders! Oh hell yes, so we talked about it for a while.

Dunno what'll happen, but I think he thinks it's a good idea and is going to try to get it done. :clap


1911fan

Double H 11-16-2012 07:38 AM

Thats good news, thanks for your work on this.
Now if only we could get the state to embrace motorcycle tourism........

shrubitup 11-16-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911fan (Post 20056556)
Bob called again yesterday, after having talked to the engineers. Gate will be closed until spring, so the new dirtwork and gravel can settle in without being disturbed. He restated that it's a temporary gate, there for the road construction period only.
The washout above/south of the Peavine Canyon intersection is NOT fixed. Too big of a project and they are waiting for grant money, which will probably be in 2014. We talked about 9710 being on the WABDR, which the FS had been unaware existed until firefighters kept having people ride through. He'd gone to the website and thought it was pretty cool.
So, great news: I pointed out to him that with the WABDR getting a lot of publicity, people are going to ride the Beehive Reservoir-Cashmere section, regardless of closed gates, because that's how people are. (Go read the WABDR thread for evidence.) With the washout, there's a distinct risk of injury. He wanted to know if, as a motorcyclist, I thought it would be a good idea to make a temporary repair that would make it safer for riders! Oh hell yes, so we talked about it for a while.

Dunno what'll happen, but I think he thinks it's a good idea and is going to try to get it done. :clap


1911fan

Awesome!

They must know that all that's needed is a 36" wide path - so minimal effort req'd.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014