ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Off Road Routes for Beginner Ottawa Area (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840993)

canridertj 11-13-2012 04:42 AM

Off Road Routes for Beginner Ottawa Area
 
Hi, New to off road and need lots of practice...I would like to know of some off road trails I can ride on, get comfortable with and that are within the Ottawa area....don't mind driving a bit to get there..just want to know where these routes are.....I need to ask because i just can't GO and ride somewhere....I might get shot at......so if you can give me a list of some trails, I would really appreciate it......seems most groups are already formed so i'll have to get out on my own...

thanks for your help

TJ

r1200gs_chris 11-13-2012 04:52 AM

Hey, try Limerick Forest, just north of Prescott, ON. It's a bit of a hike but worth the ride. South to Spencerville, east towards Roebuck. http://www.limerickforest.ca/en/ Tons of single track, pits, etc.

- Chris

canridertj 11-13-2012 05:18 AM

Chris...


thanks very much...

frazman 11-14-2012 09:11 AM

Airport Pits off of Leitrim Rd.

Nothing crazy technical, lots of soft sandy landing areas for those inevitable spills and a good place to practice slower speed drills. not a huge amount of "trails" but enough to make it interesting. Just be respectful of other users like dog walkers, runners, bikers, etc.

Great for those days when you only have a hour or two to get out and don't want to do a ton of slab to get offroad.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.30...18904&t=h&z=15

canridertj 11-14-2012 09:13 AM

thanks much....not too far from home either...

tj

shipwrek12001 11-14-2012 03:59 PM

are you planning to practice on a gs1200av?

frazman 11-14-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 (Post 20045149)
are you planning to practice on a gs1200av?

not unpossible.

canridertj 11-15-2012 02:00 AM

yes, I haven't much choice since this is the only bike I have.........

Drif10 11-15-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryjj1 (Post 20048119)
yes, I haven't much choice since this is the only bike I have.........

Dirt first. Then, maybe sand. Mud is your kryptonite, mainly when it gets deep. It's a rut slut, will find the deepest one. So just aim for it, and ride it out. Major strength is the torque, will climb anything at low revs.

Start with good gravel to get a feel for it. If you wanna come my direction, I can meet you in Westport, give a good taste, maybe some pointers.

canridertj 11-15-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drif10 (Post 20048131)
Dirt first. Then, maybe sand. Mud is your kryptonite, mainly when it gets deep. It's a rut slut, will find the deepest one. So just aim for it, and ride it out. Major strength is the torque, will climb anything at low revs.

Start with good gravel to get a feel for it. If you wanna come my direction, I can meet you in Westport, give a good taste, maybe some pointers.


thanks for the tip....the bike is away now but if you're still available in the spring, I will certainly take advantage of your kind offer...

thanks

TJ

juames 11-15-2012 12:54 PM

Great place to learn is the Marlborough forest near Richmond. Nice double track trails and nothing difficult. Just watch some of the trails get pretty wet.

Tons of fun gravel roads around too. California road is a blast!

And why is your bike away? Still riding to be done! :ricky

Motoriley 11-15-2012 07:08 PM

Limerick
 
Limerick on a 1200gs...not much fun. Did it this year with a friend. Me on my 800gs and my bud on an HP2. Super narrow single track that winds back on itself endlessly. On a big bike it is fun for 10 minutes. The bigger tracks are OK but you can find that in a lot of places.

Adventure MotoX 12-02-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoriley (Post 20054236)
Limerick on a 1200gs...not much fun. Did it this year with a friend. Me on my 800gs and my bud on an HP2. Super narrow single track that winds back on itself endlessly. On a big bike it is fun for 10 minutes. The bigger tracks are OK but you can find that in a lot of places.

Motoriley, are you attending the Roaming Rally 2013???

Jon

Motoriley 12-02-2012 03:15 PM

Roaming Rally
 
I might. Is there a date yet?


Quote:

Originally Posted by studioe6 (Post 20163588)
Motoriley, are you attending the Roaming Rally 2013???

Jon


Adventure MotoX 12-02-2012 04:15 PM

Leitrim
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by frazman (Post 20042154)
Airport Pits off of Leitrim Rd.

Nothing crazy technical, lots of soft sandy landing areas for those inevitable spills and a good place to practice slower speed drills. not a huge amount of "trails" but enough to make it interesting. Just be respectful of other users like dog walkers, runners, bikers, etc.

Great for those days when you only have a hour or two to get out and don't want to do a ton of slab to get offroad.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.30...18904&t=h&z=15

Hey Frazman, I noticed it was blocked off from the road... is there a back door?


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014