ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Asia Pacific (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   New Zealand Planning (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841016)

Bumpaman 11-13-2012 06:50 AM

New Zealand Planning
 
Well, my request for a New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas has not gotten many replies, so hopefully this one will. We are planning to be in NZ late Jan through early Feb 2013 and I am seeking input on lodging in a few specific areas. We are looking for multi night lodging reccomendations in Gisborne, on the north island, the Takaka/Abel Tasman Park area and Queenstown on the south island. We are 4 adults and are looking for lodging that is nice and clean, fairly economical ($100 - $150 NZ a couple/night) but all suggestions are welcome. Also, any reccomendations on day rides from these areas would also be greatly appreciated. We will be on GS1200's. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and any help with planning is so greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Batman640 11-17-2012 08:23 PM

Here http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/index.php would be a good place to start

Bumpaman 11-18-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batman640 (Post 20067803)
Here http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/index.php would be a good place to start

Thanks so much Batman. It has been a lot of help already.

jondirt 01-01-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpaman (Post 20033403)
Well, my request for a New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas has not gotten many replies, so hopefully this one will. We are planning to be in NZ late Jan through early Feb 2013 and I am seeking input on lodging in a few specific areas. We are looking for multi night lodging reccomendations in Gisborne, on the north island, the Takaka/Abel Tasman Park area and Queenstown on the south island. We are 4 adults and are looking for lodging that is nice and clean, fairly economical ($100 - $150 NZ a couple/night) but all suggestions are welcome. Also, any reccomendations on day rides from these areas would also be greatly appreciated. We will be on GS1200's. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and any help with planning is so greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Routes - You are probably fairly far along, definitely check out http://www.adventureguide.co.nz. They have lots of routes with different gradings. You can get a used copy of the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas on Amazon.

Accomodation - I can't give specific recommendations (just started my trip) but I bounced between TripAdvisor.com, Booking.com and Jasons.co.nz to find motels. I am also packing camping equipment, and the DOC Campsites are a good bet.

The KiwiBiker forum is also a good place to look - they have an Adventure Bike section in the forum.

Have a great ride!

Jon

dgeezer 01-02-2013 08:41 AM

places to stay..south island
 
Try www.bnb.co.nz

I stayed with a fisherman wife,
stayed on a sheep farm , stayed on a cattle ranch.
All found with the "Blackbook". I think you can order online.

From $30 anite to $100.
degeezer

dgeezer 01-02-2013 08:51 AM

places to stay
 
Plus there is an "i" center in almost every town(even the smallest)
the " i " being for information. Big sign usually.
I enjoyed many hostel stays too. But at hostels,
you really just meet other travelers, not locals so much.

sinned 01-02-2013 11:50 PM

accommodation in NZ
 
Not sure if you may have stumbled on trademe.co.nz (similar to eBay and Amazon) where all kinds of items, products and services are auctioned and sold, including accommodation. Some is commercial like rooms in motels, hotels and camp sites, while some are Bed & Breakfast (BnB), peoples homes or rooms in private homes etc. There are some pretty good deals going at the moment, and there are plenty Gisborne accommodation options available. If you happen to be in one of the (armed or civilian services e.g. military, fire, police, ambulance) then there are some reciprocal accommodation options. You can search that out for yourself if it applies, or PM me for more info.

Enjoy your trip regardless, but just a warning that the South Island is having a spate of bad weather at the moment...

Bumpaman 01-14-2013 07:36 PM

Thanks to you all so much. You have been a great help and we leave in a week.

Tagger 02-22-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpaman (Post 20486160)
Thanks to you all so much. You have been a great help and we leave in a week.

Have fun !

keep us posted on how the trip goes :)

Pomgolian 02-23-2013 09:05 PM

Guess you are pretty sorted by now, NZ motorcycle atlas if you dont have one yet is a good atlas both tar & gravel routes with descriptions, if you get down to Milford sound the route in & out is magical, then Movara lakes DOC camp then steam boat to Queenstown, just check they can take four bikes as there is not much space but easy loading & unloading right onto Queenstown centre.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014