ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Blue Point vs. Snap On combo wrench opinions/experiences (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841789)

Glowbug 11-16-2012 01:18 PM

Blue Point vs. Snap On combo wrench opinions/experiences

I know, I know they're not US-made, but does anyone have input on whether or not a few sets of Blue Point combo wrenches would be a good buy for someone putting together a starting tool set? I've bought US-made sockets and ratchets already, but the sets I'm looking at from Proto will run about $500 new - I could pick up a set of BPs for a lot less than that.

Before Gearwrench went to the PRC, their Taiwanese-produced lines seemed to get decent reviews - so I shouldn't be afraid of these, right? :norton

Thanks in advance.

RVDan 11-16-2012 01:55 PM

I don't see why not. Why is everyone of the opinion that if a tool isn't made in the USA it's junk?

Blueproint wrenches fit the bolt head just as well as SnapOn, I have a few of both, but most of my wrenches are Craftsman and I have no complaints about them either.

mcma111 11-16-2012 02:00 PM

I have a LOT of Snap On tools and a couple sets of the Blue Point gear ratchet wrench sets. They work just fine. I actually like them better than the Snap On gear wrenchs.

Merlin III 11-16-2012 02:18 PM

Quality is only one part of the equation. Doesn't using tools made in America give you a good feeling inside? It does it for me. I am always willing to pay a little more for American made products everything else being equal.

Rd650 11-16-2012 02:50 PM

Snapon=Lifetime warranty on hand tools
Blue Point= No lifetime warranty on hand tools.
Look at the online catalog for country of origin

Tammy 11-16-2012 02:59 PM

SnapOn :deal

concours 11-16-2012 02:59 PM

I have Snap-On. I also have two sets of Craftsman Professional long arm fully polished wrenches. The Crafty Pros are a VERY CLOSE second at a fraction of the cost. US made http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...p-00945963000P

Wolfgang55 11-16-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glowbug (Post 20058960)
I know, I know they're not US-made, but does anyone have input on whether or not a few sets of Blue Point combo wrenches would be a good buy for someone putting together a starting tool set? I've bought US-made sockets and ratchets already, but the sets I'm looking at from Proto will run about $500 new - I could pick up a set of BPs for a lot less than that.

Before Gearwrench went to the PRC, their Taiwanese-produced lines seemed to get decent reviews - so I shouldn't be afraid of these, right? :norton

Thanks in advance.

Proto was stamped or set by forged on tools during the VN war. Proto was a US Gov't contract name made by the Thorsen Tool Co in Emeryville, CA, during the 60s. These tools were used everywhere in VN & by Military Units being transferred. They were good strong tools. Funny to see the name pop up after so many decades.

_cy_ 11-16-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glowbug (Post 20058960)

Thanks in advance.

go with real Snap-on ... track record wise Snap-on has the highest reseal values. forget blue point wrenches... might as well get Craftsman.

almost never purchase Snap-on wrench sets new... too frigging expensive. always keep an eye open for used Snap-on tools.

used retail at say a pawnshop for Snap-on hand tools are about 50% of book retail. this means pawnshops will pay about 10% of book retail.

so if you can purchase Snap-on hand tools for 25% of book retail... generally your $$$ is pretty safe. if you pay full book retail from the Snap-on truck... you will lose! there's no way around it. that said... when I visit a Snap-on truck, will almost always buy something. you still need their support on warranty issues.

unless you've got a paying job that needs special Snap-on tool... forget about buying it from a snap-on tool truck.

mudmonster 11-16-2012 06:35 PM

Guys I am a Snap on franchisee down under and the bulk of ratchet scanners I sell is Bluepoint spherical drive and 12 point standard drive. Bluepoint as far as ratchet scanners does has a lifetime warranty ,but rarely needs it.I have Snapon and Bluepoint scanners and apart from the chrome quality it's hard to tell the difference. That's my five cents worth !

Anorak 11-16-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 (Post 20060407)
Proto was stamped or set by forged on tools during the VN war. Proto was a US Gov't contract name made by the Thorsen Tool Co in Emeryville, CA, during the 60s. These tools were used everywhere in VN & by Military Units being transferred. They were good strong tools. Funny to see the name pop up after so many decades.

Proto is a Stanley brand, now.

macd7919 11-16-2012 08:56 PM

I've got a full set of snap on flank drives and also blue point ratcheting. The blue points aren't quite as nice finish quality but they work well. You may notice on the open end of the snap ons there will be a couple grooves that grab the edges of the nuts, the blue points (at least mine) don't have that feature. Honestly I probably use my blue points more than my snap on. Also, check with your local dealer, most of them will give you the same warranty on the blue points as snap on, just ask them. I've had three separate dealers for different regions and they all warrantied my blue point no questions asked. I wouldn't hesitate to buy blue point again.

Motomantra 11-17-2012 12:11 PM

I have a roll away tool box full of mostly Snap-On, some Mac, Matco, & a few Craftsman. Craftsman is a good dollar value for the home mechanic. I've got no complaints with the Craftsman wrenches.

STANIMAL 11-17-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rd650 (Post 20059628)
Snapon=Lifetime warranty on hand tools
Blue Point= No lifetime warranty on hand tools.
Look at the online catalog for country of origin

You have been misinformed , Blue Point has a lifetime warranty just like Snap On .

For a home mechanic , to save some money , Craftsman would be another option .

bwringer 11-17-2012 10:21 PM

While I am always happy to pay "a little more" for US-made stuff, I am not willing to pay five to ten times more.

Anyway, I'm not sure why the OP feels that a beginner in the dark arts of wrenchery needs arse-bleedingly expensive tools. Go to your local Sears or Lowes, get some Craftsman or Kobalt stuff, and dig in. When you break stuff on a Saturday afternoon (and you will) you won't need to track down a Snap-On truck.

Also, we seem to be discussing a couple of different things. Ratcheting wrenches are NOT a substitute for combination wrenches -- whatever their pedigree, the ratcheting mechanisms can't withstand nearly the same force.

The solution, of course, is to buy both... :deal

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:15 AM.