ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   NC700X: Some Questions and Advice? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842084)

High Hope 11-18-2012 03:24 AM

NC700X: Some Questions and Advice?
 
I sold my '02 1150 GS Adv several years ago following a skiing accident that destroyed my left leg. Man, I'm missing it!

The Honda NC700x with auto dual clutch looks like an appealing way to get back into riding, and I've been doing some surfing to learn more. Low CG, auto, and Honda reliability/value are all pluses. Limited dirt road capability are minuses, esp in slippery New England, though I likely won't be doing any single-track or tough stuff.

Q: The gripe about 17" f/r tires. It looks like you can get TKCs in stock size 120/70-17 for the front. In back the closest options to replace the 160/60-17 are either a 150/70-17 (too narrow?) or 180/55-17 (too wide, will it fit?) Does anyone have ideas about these fitments, or other good on/off tire suggestions?

Q: I'm 6'-1", 225. Will the bike cramp my style? In a perfect world I'd probably look at lower pegs and better shocks (my BMW had Ohlins and I loved them.) Any experience with these types of mods?

Mr Grumpy 11-18-2012 03:39 AM

This may interest you.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1353229457

High Hope 11-18-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy (Post 20068749)

Thanks Mr Grumpy. Cyberspace is a wonderful thing, who would've figured a Uly web site in the UK featuring an NC700 write-up? Anyway, Lars' conditions in Olde England look like fall in New England, but I'd still be nervous with street tires on slippery muck like that...

Mr Grumpy 11-18-2012 09:48 AM

Actually Badweb is a US based site with members worldwide like this place, many of the Uly guys on here go to Badweb too,

You meet the nicest people on a Buell.:D

beemerphile 11-18-2012 10:44 AM

the 150/70 TKC will fit, but Pirelli MT60R's ought to be enough for simple muck. Mine has lowered pegs and an Ohlins shock. In my opinion, the front suspension needs help even more than the rear. I went with Race Tech cartrigde emulators and new springs. It is limited on ground clearance and the exhaust header is vunerable until someone builds a bash plate for it. The low CG makes it feel much lighter than it is.

High Hope 11-18-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beemerphile (Post 20070606)
the 150/70 TKC will fit, but Pirelli MT60R's ought to be enough for simple muck. Mine has lowered pegs and an Ohlins shock. In my opinion, the front suspension needs help even more than the rear. I went with Race Tech cartrigde emulators and new springs. It is limited on ground clearance and the exhaust header is vunerable until someone builds a bash plate for it. The low CG makes it feel much lighter than it is.

Beemerphile, thanks. Can you post pics? Where did you find lower pegs (I like to stretch out, cramp easily)? What did the suspension work cost you?

And lastly, do you want to sell your bike? :lol3

High Hope 11-18-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy (Post 20070310)
Actually Badweb is a US based site with members worldwide like this place, many of the Uly guys on here go to Badweb too,

You meet the nicest people on a Buell.:D

I always thought the Buell was a cool cool bike. Sorta thought of buying one in the olden days, but the GSA took precedence, and after that the Buell HD drama scared me off. Thanks for your input mon ami. :lol3

beemerphile 11-18-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Hope (Post 20070759)
Beemerphile, thanks. Can you post pics? Where did you find lower pegs (I like to stretch out, cramp easily)? What did the suspension work cost you?

And lastly, do you want to sell your bike? :lol3

You can find reports of all my NC700 efforts (and those of many others) at nc700-forum dot com. It wold be too much work to try to maintain the information in two places and forum owners don't seem to have much of a sense of humor about cross-posting. The lowered pegs were from Thurn Motorsports eBay store. They are from Germany and quite well made. The Race Tech front with them doing the installation was $483 and the Ohlins rear was $617. You can find all of this and more (including many pictures) by searching "extreme farkling" at the site listed above.

2tallnwide 11-18-2012 12:03 PM

Sat on this one the other day, other than needing a wider seat I think I could ride it without much ergo modification at all. Haven't actually ridden one yet though.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/700honda.jpg

I'm a fairly big guy as well....:D

Disappointed about having to get the auto tranny to get ABS, maybe they'll offer it next year on the manual.

beemerphile 11-18-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2tallnwide (Post 20070993)

Disappointed about having to get the auto tranny to get ABS, maybe they'll offer it next year on the manual.

I'm pleased that at least the first year they offered the manual without the ABS because that is the combo that I wanted. I installed an ABS front caliper on mine to get better front braking by plumbing all three pistons to the front master cylinder. This combo has a stronger front brake than even the ABS model which powers the center front brake pistons through the rear pedal, a proportioning valve, and a delay valve.

People who have the ABS though are generally quite pleased with it. I only dislike it because I do not like linked brakes (not that I want to start that discussion here.) If it had been independent ABS, I would have been interested, and thus disappointed by its unavailability.

2tallnwide 11-18-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beemerphile (Post 20071048)
I'm pleased that at least the first year they offered the manual without the ABS because that is the combo that I wanted.

That's the way I felt in '05 when I bought my GS, the idea of ABS has grown on me considerably since then though. :D

I wonder how good of a seat can be made for the 700? It's the one thing that I would definitely have to change.

EvilClown 11-18-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Hope (Post 20068716)
I sold my '02 1150 GS Adv several years ago following a skiing accident that destroyed my left leg. Man, I'm missing it!

The Honda NC700x with auto dual clutch looks like an appealing way to get back into riding, and I've been doing some surfing to learn more. Low CG, auto, and Honda reliability/value are all pluses. Limited dirt road capability are minuses, esp in slippery New England, though I likely won't be doing any single-track or tough stuff.

Q: The gripe about 17" f/r tires. It looks like you can get TKCs in stock size 120/70-17 for the front. In back the closest options to replace the 160/60-17 are either a 150/70-17 (too narrow?) or 180/55-17 (too wide, will it fit?) Does anyone have ideas about these fitments, or other good on/off tire suggestions?

Q: I'm 6'-1", 225. Will the bike cramp my style? In a perfect world I'd probably look at lower pegs and better shocks (my BMW had Ohlins and I loved them.) Any experience with these types of mods?

Know nothing about the Honda but do know you're missed around the campfire, Chris.

Glad to see you're exploring options.:clap

Whatever it takes to get you back on a bike and to the campouts.:deal

:lurk

shrineclown 11-18-2012 12:49 PM

Going to be in the 50's next weekend. We should do it again. He can show off that new hardware...a week is plenty of time to get fitted.

beemerphile 11-18-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2tallnwide (Post 20071117)
That's the way I felt in '05 when I bought my GS, the idea of ABS has grown on me considerably since then though. :D

I wonder how good of a seat can be made for the 700? It's the one thing that I would definitely have to change.

I have a Russell seat being built for mine now. It is supposed to finish up next week. BMS (Rocky Meyer) has done a couple as well that have been well regarded.

The seat is truly miserable. How ever bad you think it is, it is much worse than that. I rode mine from Georgia to New York and back over back roads and I was standing up through every town I went through.

Mercury264 11-18-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilClown (Post 20071157)
Know nothing about the Honda but do know you're missed around the campfire, Chris.

Glad to see you're exploring options.:clap

Whatever it takes to get you back on a bike and to the campouts.:deal

:lurk

+1

:clap


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014