ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Air Filter Servicing on Extended Trips? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842212)

ODSC1 11-18-2012 03:52 PM

Air Filter Servicing on Extended Trips?

I'm planning on heading to Central America for a couple months starting in December. I still have a long was to go before I'm ready but have things pretty much figured out. One thing I'm not sure about is air filter maintenance. The bike I'll be taking is an XR650R. I have a choice between a foam air filter or a K&N filter. I already have both. Both would require carrying oils, and maybe cleaners, etc.

How are you maintaining your air filter on the road?

Lone Rider 11-18-2012 04:36 PM

I'll offer a couple of things...
Foam filters can go many, many miles (think 20k or so), depending on the envirnoment.
I would not choose a KN for longterm travel.
Oils and tranny fluids to renew foam filters can be found most anywhere. You don't need a special mfgr's labeled brand.

Get a good one to start; and the factory filters are good.
I suggest thinking more about oil filters for your specific bike.

Without good filtration - air and oil (fuel may also apply) - the aliens can get in and ruin your fine bike in short order. The barrier, so to speak.

sorebutt 11-18-2012 07:13 PM

Put a prefilter on and you should be good for the entire trip with the foam filter.

catweasel67 11-19-2012 03:56 AM

Personally I'd stick a post in the appropriate regional forum asking if an inmate, on your route, could offer assistance servicing your bike..help sourcing spares, advice on local availability a garage to work in.

It'd be a great way to meet new folks and it may mean you'd not have to carry so many spares. I did something similar when I rode around the US and met some great people.

kobukan 11-19-2012 07:10 AM

A couple drops of dish soap like Dawn in a little water will do a good job cleaning a foam filter. Re-oil with a little bit of motor oil and you're all set. Neither one should be too hard to find or carry.

redneckdan 11-19-2012 07:26 AM

I have heard of using a zip lock and some camp gas or kerosene to clean the air filter. Squeeze out the excess solvent then douse it with a shot of gear oil and squeeze again to get ride of the excess. The remaining solvent will help the oil disperse into the filter and then will evaporate.

wbbnm 11-19-2012 07:38 AM

I ride a KLR on long trips, but I don't know about the XR. But the KN filter for the KLR is totally unacceptable for long trips on dirt. It clogs with dust too easily. And my bike will not run.

I carry two spare preoiled foam filters. This can get me 3-4k miles whithout having to clean one. They can be scrunched up to less that a couple of cubic inches each.

Cleaning them using gasolene in a plastic bag works pretty well too.

The prefilter sounds like a good idea too, but I have never tried it.

ODSC1 11-21-2012 06:58 AM

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll stick with a foam filter and bring an extra. The XRR filter is just a flat piece of foam so it packs small. And I'll bring either a small can of spray filter oil or pour some regular filter oil into a sealed container.

Brian

miguelitro 11-23-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODSC1 (Post 20090512)
Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll stick with a foam filter and bring an extra. The XRR filter is just a flat piece of foam so it packs small. And I'll bring either a small can of spray filter oil or pour some regular filter oil into a sealed container.

Brian

any bike shop in latin america(they are way more plentiful in mainlnad mex than baja and south of there) will be able to clean and oil your filter using gas and oil you will buy at the store nearby. they will likely have grease for the rim of the 650r filter as well which i always felt made a big difference. i woul dnot expect to pay more than a few bucks for that service.
Mike

Lone Rider 11-23-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODSC1 (Post 20090512)

Brian

Unless you're traveling in uber dusty conditions for long periods of time, and have a need to change filters quickly, you should not need an extra air filter, imo.
You can easily find oils locally. There's no need to carry extra, imo.
It is a good thing - wanting to care for your bike.
You'll find you're own groove after some time.
Best of luck to ya...

kingofZroad 11-24-2012 09:19 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/25/y4uga8eq.jpg

I always carry a spare that is pre-oiled and ready to go on long trips. I keep them in a "stronger" gallon sized zip-lock bag until I need them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:50 AM.