ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   A Plea For Assistance -- And A Potential Opportunity (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842221)

Canuman 11-18-2012 04:13 PM

A Plea For Assistance -- And A Potential Opportunity
 
Many of you know that the venerable Twinkie, that sign of all that is wrong with the modern diet here in the states has suffered an untimely demise. On this news, US shelves have been stripped bare of the gooey snack cake, and a US-made Twinkie is commanding a princely sum on the black market.

Indications are that the Twinkie is still being manufactured under license in Montreal. Help your brothers and sisters across the border! The Berlin Airlift will have nothing on the Twinkie Pipeline.

Drif10 11-18-2012 04:28 PM

We're done with being your crutch, the ones who bail your asses out all the time.

Go home yankee, we don't want your kind around here.

250senuf 11-18-2012 04:32 PM

Hey, if they want that stuff down south let them have it. It'll mean less consumption of said substance up here which will result in less strain on our health care system. Let ObamaCare deal with the consequences of Twinkie consumption.
A chance for someone to make a buck or three: Twinkie export. :rofl

Canuman 11-18-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drif10 (Post 20072606)
We're done with being your crutch, the ones who bail your asses out all the time.

Go home yankee, we don't want your kind around here.

Don't slap me, eh? I voted for the Canada Party this election, and I feel really bad about the whole Avro (Canada) Arrow business.

I'm a Canadian stuck in an American body.

I prefer Timmy's Glazed Sour Cream or the French Cruller, thanks.

jasonmt 11-18-2012 09:49 PM

UPDATE: According to CTV News, the rights to Hostess brands in Canada are held by Montreal-based Saputo Inc., though the Twinkie is not currently on their roster of snacks. George Weston Ltd. owns the rights to Wonder Bread. In an interview with The Globe and Mail, Lionel Ettedgui, president of the bakery division at Saputo declined to say whether they would bring on some or all of the US snack cakes into their line-up. Hostess has announced that they intend to sell their assets, including the US brand rights for Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Hos, Sno Balls, and Wonder Bread, to the highest bidder.


UPDATE 2: Toronto Standard's continued investigation into the Twinkie Crisis has revealed some information that is in conflict with media reports. A 300g box of Twinkies purchased at Loblaws (Queen and Portland location) has revealed that, contrary to other reports, the golden cakes certainly look like they are part of Saputo's Hostess snack cakes lineup. The Saputo label is clearly marked on the side of the box. Attempts to reach Saputo for comment were unsuccessful. A spokesperson said there was no one at the Montreal office today to comment or answer our questions about where Twinkies made for Canadian consumption are produced or why other reports say that Twinkies are not part of the Saputo Hostess lineup. Canadians consumers will have to wait until Monday for reassurance that they will still be able to buy these beloved treats in our country.

Steve G. 11-18-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuman (Post 20072497)
Many of you know that the venerable Twinkie, that sign of all that is wrong with the modern diet here in the states has suffered an untimely demise. On this news, US shelves have been stripped bare of the gooey snack cake, and a US-made Twinkie is commanding a princely sum on the black market.

Indications are that the Twinkie is still being manufactured under license in Montreal. Help your brothers and sisters across the border! The Berlin Airlift will have nothing on the Twinkie Pipeline.


We Western Cdns try to avoid any business dealings Quebecuois. Sorry, can't help.

Canuman 11-18-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonmt (Post 20074438)
UPDATE: According to CTV News, the rights to Hostess brands in Canada are held by Montreal-based Saputo Inc., though the Twinkie is not currently on their roster of snacks. George Weston Ltd. owns the rights to Wonder Bread. In an interview with The Globe and Mail, Lionel Ettedgui, president of the bakery division at Saputo declined to say whether they would bring on some or all of the US snack cakes into their line-up. Hostess has announced that they intend to sell their assets, including the US brand rights for Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho’s, Sno Balls, and Wonder Bread, to the highest bidder.


UPDATE 2: Toronto Standard's continued investigation into the Twinkie Crisis has revealed some information that is in conflict with media reports. A 300g box of Twinkies purchased at Loblaws (Queen and Portland location) has revealed that, contrary to other reports, the golden cakes certainly look like they are part of Saputo's Hostess snack cakes lineup. The Saputo label is clearly marked on the side of the box. Attempts to reach Saputo for comment were unsuccessful. A spokesperson said there was no one at the Montreal office today to comment or answer our questions about where Twinkies made for Canadian consumption are produced or why other reports say that Twinkies are not part of the Saputo Hostess lineup. Canadians consumers will have to wait until Monday for reassurance that they will still be able to buy these beloved treats in our country.

By Jingus, we appear to have unearthed a mult-national conspiracy here. It's certain that the long claws of Ottawa are reaching into our simon-pure American snack food industry. What's next? Will the all-dressed chip supplant Honey Barbecue? Will we be offered poutine at our local McDonalds? I do not like it, Sam-I-Am. We'll be forced to eat smoked meat and pay HST next, and they'll take away our guns.

Canuman 11-18-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve G. (Post 20074529)
We Western Cdns try to avoid any business dealings Quebecuois. Sorry, can't help.

Montreal is no more part of Canada than New York City is part of the US. They both exist in a different reality. Most of Quebec is pretty mellow. I love the Townships. They'll send us Twinkies.

That's a comment that will get this booted to CSM for sure. Sorry, but at at least I was here before the move.

yamalama 11-19-2012 05:56 AM

The French ones taste even better.
Stay away.

Deuce 11-19-2012 08:53 AM

What Next?
 
You'll be wanting us to smuggle in Coffee Crisp and Ketchup Chips. :1drink

Canuman 11-19-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 20076638)
You'll be wanting us to smuggle in Coffee Crisp and Ketchup Chips. :1drink

Naah, we can get those here. There's even a little diner that smuggles St. Hubert gravy for their poutine not too far away. I'm on the border of Orleans County, VT, aka "little Quebec." Before 9/11, no one really thought of the border as an impediment.

We'll trade you cheap gasoline and Marlboros for Twinkies, however.

frazman 11-19-2012 09:05 AM

Twinkies, meh. You haven't lived until you've had a Jos. Louis (aka Mad Dog Vachon Cake) with a Pepsi for breakfast.



http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_L6NW1UySEK...oe%2Blouis.jpg

Lycan1 11-19-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce (Post 20076638)
You'll be wanting us to smuggle in Coffee Crisp and Ketchup Chips. :1drink

And SMARTIES. :evil

Without Twinkies what will we eat after the Zombie Apocalypse. It is after all the only food that never goes bad. Nail one to a wall and check on it in a year.

Lycan1 11-19-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazman (Post 20076714)
Twinkies, meh. You haven't lived until you've had a Jos. Louis (aka Mad Dog Vachon Cake) with a Pepsi for breakfast.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Jos_Louis.jpg

You must be a truck driver.......Not that there is anything wrong with that.

sturgeon 11-19-2012 10:10 AM

You guys need to step up a notch in your gourmet tastes. Butter tarts and nanaimo bars! Twinkies are for tw ... well lemme just say that even the black bears up here won't eat 'em out of the garbage, and they'll eat just about anything. Even Y&S licorice cigars with real 'fire' on the end are better. :deal


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014