ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road warriors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bikes you didn't like nearly as much as you thought you would. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842295)

davidji 11-18-2012 09:26 PM

Bikes you didn't like nearly as much as you thought you would.

What are the bikes you thought you'd like a lot more than you did on the first ride?

I was inspired to ask this by a demo ride of that sort the other day. And I had a similar one a year ago. But my tales can wait. I want yours!

DiabloADV 11-18-2012 10:01 PM

Speed triple. Big, heavy bike...didn't like it at all.

F800R. The most boring motor in the history of irrigation pump motors.

Hypermotard. If I wanted to sit on the front tire, I'd...sit on the front tire.

Nadgett 11-18-2012 10:30 PM

I rented a Royal Enfield 500 Bullet in Scotland, thinking it would be like my old BSA 441 Victor. It wasn't.

rat110 11-18-2012 10:38 PM

Honda cbr600f4i.

Around town and on the highways it just seemed flat, dull and too damn quiet.
I had just come off a VFR800, so this may have something to do with it....

When it wound up it was ok, but it just didnt sit right. I kept wanting to like it, but couldnt. Plus it hurt my wrists.

Meh.

wayne_l 11-18-2012 10:41 PM

honda gold wing ..with so much going on with the thing and so smooth it felt like i was in my truck .it lulled me to sleep.

ZZ-R Rider 11-19-2012 03:13 AM

Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VS800) ... bought a low-mileage, very slighly used '06 from a co-worker because I thought at the time that I "needed" a Bike larger than the 650 I then owned... hated that friggin' S50 ... Bike had no soul what-so-ever ... and who ever designed the battery compartment deserves a serious beating ... without a centerstand, getting that battery in and out was an ardous ordeal ...

cls 11-19-2012 04:47 AM

'08 Yamaha FZ1. I still quote it as "The best bike I ever hated." It was fast enough, handled well enough, looked sharp enough, had adequate shield protection, and was plenty smooth. The lack of low-end power and the fact that it was a little top heavy and wide between the knees just killed it. I never wanted to ride it, always opting for something else. It didn't stay in the garage long. Alas, live and learn. Or maybe not...

kraven 11-19-2012 04:58 AM

BMW RT
The vaunted sofa. The old man's barca-lounger.
I wanted to like it. I did. But it was too boring for me, and the way the motor honked at full throttle was just irritating.

A lot of people like the RT, obviously. It's just not my bag, baby.

Yokomo 11-19-2012 05:07 AM

Nighthawk 750. I always liked the looks of them. Got one for a nice price and I tried to like it. It just didn't fit my body and it was boring until you cracked on it, and it was awkward to turn.

wpbarlow 11-19-2012 05:44 AM

Ducati Hypermotard-- ditto what was expressed about the feeling of sitting on the front tire. Or as I expressed it- feeling like a hood ornament :lol3 great bike otherwise.

Triumph Scrambler-- I was very interested in buying one, but imo what a characterless engine.

ivantheterrible 11-19-2012 05:55 AM

sr500. I had many bikes before that one, and really gave some thought to what I wanted in a bike and the sr500 was it. After a long search, a mint one came up near me and i picked it up. Never really bonded with it. Very disappointed, I sold it not long after I bought it.

speedisgood 11-19-2012 05:58 AM

This is a really helpful thread, and one of the reasons why ADV is such a great place

Hank.SD 11-19-2012 06:08 AM

ZX-14R. Wish I would have kept my CBR1100xx. The ninja did everything well but I didn't love it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

elemental 11-19-2012 06:13 AM

00 Thunderbird Sport: My only purchase mistake in 25 years of riding - sold it at a loss after 4 months
06 Speed Triple: Test ride revealed dodgy ergos, handling and throttle
Bonneville: Borrowed one proved to be tiny and gutless

Mazaev 11-19-2012 06:19 AM

The current-gen Hayabusa. I was at a demo day and figured what the hell, while in the back of my mind thinking that I don't want to go home feeling like my VFR was old and slow. Boy, was that not a problem. I couldn't wait to get off the thing. It felt like I was straddling a bathtub shaped rocket. A very uncomfortable one. Never been so happy to get back on my 13 year old bike.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:01 AM.