ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Old's Cool (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Laverda 1000 cl3 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842822)

Jan 11-21-2012 04:22 AM

Laverda 1000 cl3

I might have a lead on a '76 Laverda cl3 1000 a friend of a friend of a friend kinda thing...

However I don't know anything bout the things.

Can someone educate me here?
Do I want one? Should I have one?
Do they suck or are they as cool as pinguin's balls? Ballpark figure? (Hasn't run for about 6 years - all original parts and paint)

Why is it never a guzzi lemans I-III that pops up like this eh...

mtiberio 11-21-2012 04:50 AM

plenty popular. I don't think they drive as nice as a guzzi, but actually have a higher value...

a buddy is selling a lemans III in the DC craigslist for $3100

Jan 11-21-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtiberio (Post 20089804)
plenty popular. I don't think they drive as nice as a guzzi, but actually have a higher value...

a buddy is selling a lemans III in the DC craigslist for $3100

just a bit far from where i am unfortunately :lol3

sfc1k 11-21-2012 06:26 AM

3CL?

Lovely, lovely, lovely contraption. I'd love an early 3CL to go with my late SFC1000

There's every chance it'll find interesting new ways to frustrate, irritate & bankrupt you but you'll most likely not care :D

Pretty good spares availability & there's a lot of knowledge n experience in the various Laverda forums & clubs. Most of the common problems are easily sorted & there are any number of upgrades for the period shortcomings (eg better ignition & uprated alternator).

Forgot the ball park figure - in the UK you'd be talking 3000 - 5000 pounds, possibly more depending on condition. If you decide it's not the bike for you then there's always someone (usually an Australian) looking for one.

Jan 11-21-2012 07:35 AM

3cl indeed. Shows my ignorance doesn't it?

G 981 11-21-2012 10:20 AM

Hey Bob,
I have one you can buy! :evil
Come to sunny Spain and ride it home.

Rathlindri 11-21-2012 10:40 AM

My brother has one (1976 I think) for sale about 10 miles from Edinburgh in Scotland.....he's owned it for 30+ years. Currently a non runner but ripe for restoration.....needs a good home. If interested pm me and I'll put you in touch..:evil

Rob Farmer 11-21-2012 10:53 AM

The L in 3CL denotes cast wheels obviously the 3C means 3 cylinders.

I rode Laverdas for 15 years or so, a Jota and 2 750's, they are lovely well built machines that were miles ahead of just about everything in their day. The ignitions can be a problem on the earlier machines and caused a problem in the 80's because there were no alternatives but apart from that they are massively over engineered. The oil filtration system is just a wire mesh so regular oil changes are needed. I've seen filter conversions but these used to be frowned upon because the bike uses a low pressure pump

There were a lot of issues with the 79/80 bikes but the one your talking about is earlier so avoids the worst problems.

If you do get it a pair of Jota silencers is a must. Nothing beats the sound of a pair of Jota pipes on the overrun.

anonny 11-21-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 20089711)
I might have a lead on a '76 Laverda cl3 1000 a friend of a friend of a friend kinda thing...

Do they suck or are they as cool as pinguin's balls? Ballpark figure? (Hasn't run for about 6 years - all original parts and paint)

Do I want one?
Absolutely

Should I have one?
Absolutely

Do they suck or are they as cool as pinguin's balls?
Cooler than penguins balls

Ballpark figure? (Hasn't run for about 6 years - all original parts and paint)

Probably 10 large minimum, do what ever it takes to acquire it, they are going up in value at a rapid pace.

Steve G. 11-21-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan (Post 20089711)

They are great machines. Very solidly built. Laverda bought the best parts packages available, so, 1976, Nippon Denso guages and switchgear, Bosch electronic ignition [the very first bike with non-points ignition].
Uber kewl.
Becoming recognized by collectors, so if you buy it, you will sell it for more.
The 180 degree cranks [ 2 outer pistons up, single centre piston down] make hauntingly cool exhaust noise.
Parts are suprisingly easy and reasonable[I live close to the best supplier].
Exceedingly rare compared to a Moto Guzzi of same vintage. You'll have the only one.

Price? Has very much to do with where it's being purchased, and what it's condition is. If it's been stored improperly, of course rust plays no favourites, exotic, plane jane japanese, they all suffer. Very good condition in North America, 10KUS. Europe,,,9K euro. Australia, New Zealand,,,16KAuz. Deduct value from there based on what it needs.

Good luck, the things are great, long legged, big, loud, proud.
BTW, I leave my buddies WAY behind on their '76 Lemans 850 and Lemans Mk111 in every performance catagory.

Jan 11-22-2012 12:23 AM

Thanks all, will go and check it out. Sounds like I better bring some cash as well according to your comments

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

MZRider 11-22-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve G. (Post 20096194)
Bosch electronic ignition [the very first bike with non-points ignition].

IIRC, Moto Morini was earlier with electronic ignition - the production 3 1/2 Strada had it in '73.

Steve G. 11-22-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MZRider (Post 20099719)
IIRC, Moto Morini was earlier with electronic ignition - the production 3 1/2 Strada had it in '73.

Yeah, Laverda had it in late '73, guess it's a tie.

Voltaire 11-23-2012 09:57 AM

I would not worry too much about the electrics as I run an ignitech on my BMW and from my seaches at the time they are fitted to all manner of Italian bikes. The alt is most likely similar to a Ducati of the same era and a modern regualtor sorts them out. Switchgear is only an issue if you need to keep it original looking....unless its like Ducati who used Jap stuff.Rode one once in the ealry 90's.....still on my wish list..... you know you want to....:evil

Vince 11-23-2012 09:39 PM

Redax in Queensland OZ do a 240watt altinator conversion for 180 Laverdas,No flat batteries,run heated gear,whatever you like.Post some pics if you can.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:19 AM.