ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   v-strom Dealer price opinion - help (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843824)

Little Bike 11-25-2012 04:18 PM

v-strom Dealer price opinion - help

I was just at a dealer and they want $8000 plus $1160 set up fees + tax, license etc. for a v-strom 650 adventurer. What do you think?

precarious 11-25-2012 04:50 PM

MSRP is $8299 for the base, so not bad if it's a '12 and not a leftover '11.

In my opinion, you'd be better off seeing what they can do for you on a base and adding your own accessories. Jesse or Touratech luggage is far more rugged than the Trax cases, and somethin like the AltRider crash bars are probably stronger than the OE set.

But, it is nice having something ready to go from the start. Can't lose, but maybe some of the wiser Wee owners will chime in with other ideas.

Little Bike 11-25-2012 04:56 PM

I think that's why I'm torn. It's a 2012, I'm not too impressed with the bags, but hey, it is ready to go. If I could find a good deal on a 2012 non-adventurer that's the way I would go, but no luck so far.

Evenflo76 11-25-2012 05:39 PM

Imo not bad considering. Currently my local dealer is advertising 2012 dl650 (non adventure) for 6,999 before fees and tax.

Adv model is advertised at msrp, which is well over 9,000 before fees and tax. If you can be out the door for just over 9,000 then that seems like a fair deal to me.

Buying the standard model and choosing your own adv accessories should result in significant savings. Good Luck

Little Bike 11-25-2012 06:56 PM

9000 out the door is what I would like to pay, but the dealership won't budge. With tax and everything it comes out to 10,something.

I want the dealer to make money on the bike, I'm not trying to do a complete lowball, but the sale price doesn't seem all that great once you add in the "set up" fee of $1160. The salesman also told me that they get a dealer kickback and they would either sell me the bike at msrp with the $1160 or at $8000 plus the $1160.

Hmmm, I think I just answered my own question. Pass, sell my Rebel and look for a good deal on a non-adventure v-strom.

Thanks all - sometimes you just need to bounce stuff off other people and verify what you're thinking!:freaky

ph0rk 11-25-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bike (Post 20116984)
9000 out the door is what I would like to pay, but the dealership won't budge. With tax and everything it comes out to 10,something.

I want the dealer to make money on the bike, I'm not trying to do a complete lowball, but the sale price doesn't seem all that great once you add in the "set up" fee of $1160. The salesman also told me that they get a dealer kickback and they would either sell me the bike at msrp with the $1160 or at $8000 plus the $1160.

Hmmm, I think I just answered my own question. Pass, sell my Rebel and look for a good deal on a non-adventure v-strom.

Thanks all - sometimes you just need to bounce stuff off other people and verify what you're thinking!:freaky

The dl650 ADV lists at something like $9800, so ~10k OTD isn't that far off.

Little Bike 11-25-2012 09:12 PM

I forgot to mention that when I pointed out the adventure to the salesman and we started talking he told me the bags were extra.....I had to tell him noooo, they're included in that model. Also, he told me how great the bags were and how much I would pay to put those on - I told him, they're plastic. Oh. They also have v-stroms listed on cycle trader that are not in their store (lots of them). All they had was a 2011 650 abs demo bike, a 2012 1000 and the 2012 adventure

He was pretty honest about the dealer invoice - about $1000 less than msrp.

Thanks for letting me vent.....I'm realizing that I'm too annoyed at the dealership/salesman to want to buy a bike there anyways and I think they're overpriced by about $500.

Onward.

ceke 11-25-2012 09:50 PM

My last 3 bikes were used, purchased off craigslist, for less than or near KBB trade in values, and all three are great bikes. Dealers need to make money and I'm used to $800-$1000 'setup fees' when asking for a quote here in SoCal, but I see no point in handing them my money when there are so many good used bikes out there.

strom thingie 11-26-2012 04:26 AM

The beauty of the stroms (for the buyer) is that there are hundreds of them all over the place fully loaded and ready for sale.

ph0rk 11-26-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bike (Post 20117695)
I forgot to mention that when I pointed out the adventure to the salesman and we started talking he told me the bags were extra.....I had to tell him noooo, they're included in that model. Also, he told me how great the bags were and how much I would pay to put those on - I told him, they're plastic. Oh. They also have v-stroms listed on cycle trader that are not in their store (lots of them). All they had was a 2011 650 abs demo bike, a 2012 1000 and the 2012 adventure

He was pretty honest about the dealer invoice - about $1000 less than msrp.

Thanks for letting me vent.....I'm realizing that I'm too annoyed at the dealership/salesman to want to buy a bike there anyways and I think they're overpriced by about $500.

Onward.

The 2012 adventure (650) has metal panniers. Perhaps it was a DL1000 adventure? Different kettle of fish.

oldmanb777 11-26-2012 06:27 AM

I have often priced in other states. Then use that as a bargaining chip. If you find what you want somewhere else, a fly-n-ride is great. I don't know how SoCal prices stack up, but if you found one where winter sales are slow, you might score big. However there is a Suzuki Dealer near LAX that has had great deals in the past. Can't remember thier name. They were honest about the it being a Kalifornia bike. I almost bought my DRZ from them, but it was a Kalifornia bike. I took the deal to a local dealer, didn't tell them it was a Kali bike, they imediately dropped the price $500 to match the deal, and offered 20% off all accessories i bought within 6 months. I asked for a shop manual, and we spilt the cost of that. I took the bike home.

Little Bike 11-26-2012 07:32 AM

Hmmmm, this is getting stranger and stranger. It was definitely a v-strom 650 and had the engine guard and the upgraded windshield, but the panniers were definitely plastic. I just looked at some pics and they do look a little different. Who knows, at this point I'm going to go for the non-adventure bike. The reason I want the 2012 is they changed the riding geometry and I find it much more comfortable.......

I need an easy button :rofl

tommyhof 11-26-2012 07:49 AM

You said 8K plus 1160 tax, prep etc, that comes to $9160 which I would think is an oustansing deal, here in Virginia Beach you would not get such a deal, now on the cases that requires further research should be black and square looking. Just look at a pic on Suzuki site and you'll see them. I love my Wee

Little Bike 11-26-2012 06:50 PM

With everything (I didn't include the actual tax, reg costs on the last email) it comes out to $10,247. I did just get a quote from a dealership in LA for $9800 (for an adventure), otd......I was thinking that the first dealership was too high by about $500 dollars and this other dealership knocked it down to that almost.

The $1160 is their "set up, freight, b.s." fee, they refuse to come down on that - at all. The tax, reg on top of that. If it was $9200 out the door (I wish) I'd be riding it right now.

Now, what to do! Can I get one of my poor friends to give me a lift all the way into LA on a weekend? By the time I take them out to dinner with lots of drinks to pay them back how much money will I actually have saved? :rofl

D.T. 11-26-2012 07:49 PM

I paid $8245 OTD for a standard orange.

$7k is a real good deal someone else mentioned for the std model.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:42 AM.