ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   motorcycle suit for women - advice needed (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844841)

BongoBongo 11-29-2012 03:08 PM

motorcycle suit for women - advice needed

Hello, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Im about to buy my first motorcycle suit and I need your advice on how to make a good choice what I should look at, any brand names, etc any tip/recommendations are more than welcomed! I will go on a 3 weeks trip, riding a motorcycle with my friend somewhere in South America :freaky
Thanks a lot! <o:p></o:p>

GSAragazzi 11-29-2012 03:17 PM

You'll find better luck posting in the right forum. You are in classified section but for what is worth I recommend Olympia for suit, Sidi for boots and Icon for gloves. Helmet varies depending open face ( VxPro) or closed Shoei RF1100. You may need to specify the time of yr and type of riding to narrow down to specific gear.
Good luck and have fun btw what will u b riding?

CreatureCore 11-29-2012 03:19 PM

You obviously have a lot less choices then a guy. Olympia and Rev'it have women specific gear to look into. Also Teizms.com has the custom made revolution 1 piece. Just watch the video for the powershell to see the revolutions features. Also aerostich is now making a womens suit.

lilolita 11-29-2012 05:04 PM

This should be moved to Equipment.

You may also want to post your question here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264996

It will help if you post what kind of weather you think you're going to encounter (really hot, hot & cool, freezing cold, dry or pouring rain) and what kind of riding (all tarmac, dirt roads, off-road). The women of ADV want to help!

Oh, and welcome!

kluoto 11-29-2012 06:31 PM

Check out aerostich. Well worth the money.

Mr. Canoehead 11-29-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kluoto (Post 20145373)
Check out aerostich. Well worth the money.

+1 but if you want to spend less up front: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ Check out the bargains area for deals and the Just for Women area for a great selection. They are great to deal with. (No affiliation, just a repeat customer).

El Borracho 11-29-2012 06:40 PM

Check out gearchic.com

StuartV 11-29-2012 09:50 PM

If you want the best, go to http://www.motoport.com. Get a 2pc kevlar (mesh or stretch) suit. That's what I got for my girlfriend. And what I usually wear, as well.

It will be custom made to your measurements. My Motoport suit is way more comfortable than my Aerostich Roadcrafter. And WAY better protection.

PeterW 11-29-2012 11:04 PM

Best bet is to find a bike shop or a bike accessory shop which has women at the counter. There are a few (very few), at least here.

My wife rides as well, and with about 10 shops available locally, only one is worth walking in the door if you are a woman. It's not a place I normally shop at (expensive end of the range) but they stock gear for women and the staff listen.

With luck, you'll even be able to find something that isn't pink.

Pete

outsidein 11-30-2012 01:55 AM

Don't try and buy a man's model. Womens models fit differently and will fit better. There is a big difference in abrasion resistance (and cost too) between polyester and Cordura (or Cordura clones). Suggest checking out Olympia and Teiz. Both make high quality gear at the mid price point.

http://olympiamotosports.com/wp-cont...mbs/wj150s.jpg

568V8 11-30-2012 08:36 AM

Olympia

My wife wears Olympia jacket and pants. Great products with lots of features for a good price. Be sure to try on with a variety of undergarments to be sure you get the proper fit covering as many riding temperatures as possible. And while dressed, sit on the same ergonomic style of bike as yours to be sure that the shoulders are comfortable.
I needed a custom measuered Aerostich RC suit to get a good fit.

PhoenixGirl63 11-30-2012 08:41 AM

Trip to South America sounds fun!

Have a great, safe trip!

As others have said, the Olympia brand is wonderful quality. I have the women's Olympia Airglide pants and jackets, and love them. The removable liners are nice, and the venting through the mesh panels gets a lot of air moving to cool you down.

And, yes, definitely buy gear designed for women. Men's gear isn't cut to fit a woman's body and you could find the jacket and pants bunching in very inconvenient places.

I also have the Daytona Ladystar boots; they're fantastic for all around protection for ankles and shins and they give you around 2 inches of extra height which is helpful if you're fun-sized!

Good luck with the gear search and the ride! Let us know how it goes.

totomoto 12-01-2012 12:53 PM

One can't really say one brand is better than the other as long as you invest a decent amount of money (it's true, you get what you pay for). Much depends on your body type. American brands such us Olympia and Tourmaster tend to be bigger and boxier while European brands such as Revit, Dainese and Spidi fit slimmer types. BMW has all kind of sizes. You really need to try some on to figure out fit because the amor should not move much and it at the right place to protect you. Make sure that you get gear that has good armor, especially a Level 2 back protector, which can normally be added as it doesn't come with the jacket. Then, you need to know if you will be riding in rain a lot. Typically, an integrated Gore-Tex layer or similar is better than a separate layer because you don't need to change and the outer jacket doesn't get soaked and keeps you warmer. For abrasion resistance, leather is always best but has a smaller comfort range in terms of temperature and you would also need extra rain gear. There is no perfect gear out there that does it all, so it will be a compromise.
I few things I would look for:
- avoid polyester fabric, Cordura and Polyamide have better abrasion resistance (cheaper jackets are mostly made of polyester)
- safety stitching
- close fit
- reflective panels
- ventilation
- connector zipper to pants, the longer the better

Sometimes you can get used gear on motorcycle forums or craigslist that is almost new and you can save a lot of $$.

AdrianB1 12-01-2012 04:41 PM

Icon boots - my experience with Icon boots in general is very good, I bought 4 pairs in the past 8 years.
For gloves I was very happy with Alpinestars (quite expensive) and Firstgear. I tried many European brands, I have a big collection (I also use some on the mountain bike), I was not able to find any Icon gloves on my measure so I cannot tell anything about it.
For clothes I like a lot Dainese and Klim; Klim has a very limited selection of clothes and they are very expensive, probably you need to be an experienced rider to see the full value of their products (good stuff), Dainese has products for women. I also own some Spidi equipment, not sure if it is available in your area, decent stuff but nothing to write about.

BongoBongo 12-03-2012 04:37 AM

Thanks a lot to everybody! You are fantastic!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
We plan to ride in South Mexico starting mid-December. Weather should be around 75 degrees and hopefully not rainy. We intend to stay mostly off crowded places, I guess in the end will be on/off-road combination. <o:p></o:p>
As I live in Europe, I think Ill have better luck finding European brands.<o:p></o:p>

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:07 PM.