ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   headset communication for 3 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846071)

samandkimberly 12-04-2012 12:52 PM

headset communication for 3

OK; I'm overwhelmed with the communication options out there, so I'm looking for even more opinions on what kind of helmet communication system to buy: this is going to be for my K1100RS/Flexit sidecar outfit so I'm looking for options that will work for three people on a single vehicle. Here are my priorities:

- good audio full duplex communication for 3 people wearing full face helmets, at speed. This is essential, everything else is optional.

- Wires are acceptable, but wireless obviously would be preferred.

- Once set up, it should be relatively simple to use.

- the ability to use iphone via bluetooth when riding solo would be a good plus.

- the ability for the sidecar passenger to be able to plug in separate audio would also be good.

- bike to bike a plus, but well down on the list.

That's about it. I'd really like to keep the budget well under $500.00 for the three systems, which means most of the latest generation Bluetooth options are out of my range, plus offer more than I really need. Any suggestions?

Sam

Twilight Error 12-04-2012 01:04 PM

Nevermind.

Listen to Driffy, he's got the knowing.

Drif10 12-04-2012 02:02 PM

Sena smh10's will do the job nicely, and under budget too.

Adam (Rocketmoto here) Can answer all your questions, sells them at the best price around (pm him here for that price), and is great about supporting the product.

Here's his thread in Vendors:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573145

Read the first post, he keeps that updated. Then I would suggest you read the whole thread, odds are all questions will be answered.

No relation to him, just a happy customer.

Twilight Error 12-04-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drif10 (Post 20177598)
Sena smh10's will do the job nicely, and under budget too.

Adam (Rocketmoto here) Can answer all your questions, sells them at the best price around (pm him here for that price), and is great about supporting the product.

Here's his thread in Vendors:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573145

Read the first post, he keeps that updated. Then I would suggest you read the whole thread, odds are all questions will be answered.

No relation to him, just a happy customer.

Indeed they will.

I appear to be wrong, disregard my previous post.

StuartV 12-04-2012 03:41 PM

+1 on the Sena SMH10. You can actually have up to 4 people talking, full duplex. I've used mine a fair bit as a 3-way intercom. Plus listening to music and talking on the phone. Works great.

samandkimberly 12-05-2012 05:36 AM

Thanks all; I've PM'ed Adam and I'd bet I'll end up trying the Senas out.

Sam

Ohio_Danimal 12-05-2012 09:05 AM

can you guys confirm that the Sena SMH10 can have three riders communicating at the same time??

I thought it would handle three, but only two could link at a time. (press jog once to connect to link one, twice to link two, etc)

StuartV 12-05-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal (Post 20183152)
can you guys confirm that the Sena SMH10 can have three riders communicating at the same time??

I thought it would handle three, but only two could link at a time. (press jog once to connect to link one, twice to link two, etc)

Yes, I've used mine numerous times for 3-way conferencing. They say it will do up to 4-way, but I have not had a chance to try that yet.

Remember, once 2 of you are linked, the 3rd person has to initiate the link to one of the first 2, to join the conference. If you are linked to one person, you cannot add another person to the conference yourself. That is the most annoying thing, to me, about multi-way conferencing on the Senas.

But, it's really not that hard to work around. Worst case, call Buddy 1, tell him you want to conference and for him to count to 5 and then call you back. Then, hang up and call Buddy 2. Buddy 1 counts to 5 and then joins in with you and Buddy 2.

Or make up a hand signal that everybody will recognize that means "call me". Call whoever is in front and tell them to give the signal to the guy behind, or you give the guy(s) behind you the signal if you're in the front or middle.

achtung3 12-07-2012 06:19 PM

My two brothers and I used the Chatterbox XB 1 last year, and worked pretty well except when we bought it, we needed to charge it every night of the trip, but now I bought the wire unit the connects directly to the battery, I have power all the time without the need to charge it at night. I've used on my 7500+ mil trip this past summer and it works pretty well, connects to my gps and phone all in one, not a wireless unit if you do not mind, was not cheap.

Have a great ride.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:16 AM.