ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trials (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   First real ride... gas gas TXT pro 125... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846210)

jonnyc21 12-05-2012 12:21 AM

First real ride... gas gas TXT pro 125...
 
My wife was out of town and she gave me permission to take it out with a local trials rider that was willing to show me the ropes. I spend 6 hours on Saturday riding different practice courses he and a buddy of his had put together.

Wow what a workout... and was it a blast, I haven't had that much fun on a bike sense I was a kid riding my first 250 dirt bike. No in fact this was even more fun!!! I wish I had known about trials years ago... if only!

Well the bottom line is that its time for me to get a trials bike for me (was going to any way) so I can ride with the wife, and I am now talking to my wife about getting a bike for our daughter as well.

Wish me the best in figuring out how to come up with the $. I am going to get the bikes, the question is how long will it take... LOL

Its great to join all of you other trials riders out there in a sport/hobby that is just plane sweet!

Jeff_S2R1K 12-05-2012 03:52 AM

Welcome to the party. :ricky

I'm just like you, got into trials late, but I'm loving it. Who'd have thought you could have this much fun going slow.

amcross 12-05-2012 07:04 AM

CONGRATS JONNY!!!!! That's exceptional!

And, being one half of a husband/wife time, I can tell you that, at least for us, doing it together turns up the fun factor that much more. Even though we compete in different classes, we ride the loop together, walk sections together, discuss lines together, cheer each other on, tease each other mercilessly and overall have a blast whether it is in competition or practicing, at home or with friends.

WELCOME!!!!:clap:clap:clap

Sting32 12-05-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyc21 (Post 20181135)
Well the bottom line is that its time for me to get a trials bike for me (was going to any way) so I can ride with the wife, and I am now talking to my wife about getting a bike for our daughter as well.

Wish me the best in figuring out how to come up with the $. I am going to get the bikes, the question is how long will it take... LOL

sell stuff, as Dave Ramsay says, have a garage sale, get the money, lol.

Anywho you ought to go edit your profile, add your location and stuff, so fellow ADV trials riders, know where you ride, and maybe someone will notice and say "Hey, you live/ride near me..."

jonnyc21 12-05-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting32 (Post 20182521)
sell stuff, as Dave Ramsay says, have a garage sale, get the money, lol.

Anywho you ought to go edit your profile, add your location and stuff, so fellow ADV trials riders, know where you ride, and maybe someone will notice and say "Hey, you live/ride near me..."

Thanks for the advice, didn't even thing about that... updated!

jonnyc21 12-05-2012 08:20 AM

Yes!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amcross (Post 20182319)
CONGRATS JONNY!!!!! That's exceptional!

And, being one half of a husband/wife time, I can tell you that, at least for us, doing it together turns up the fun factor that much more. Even though we compete in different classes, we ride the loop together, walk sections together, discuss lines together, cheer each other on, tease each other mercilessly and overall have a blast whether it is in competition or practicing, at home or with friends.

WELCOME!!!!:clap:clap:clap

I am looking forward to doing much the same with my sweet hart. :D

jonnyc21 12-05-2012 08:26 AM

Level up...
 
Oh for anyone that might be interested, Don the guy that took me riding told me I by the end of the day I should ride novice if I go to an event as I was doing quite well and that beginner would likely be to easy for me.

I found it interesting because I didn't think I was doing quite that well tell he informed me that the few obstacles I was having a hard time with where intermediate to advanced.

cheers!

Sting32 12-05-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyc21 (Post 20182923)
Oh for anyone that might be interested, Don the guy that took me riding told me I by the end of the day I should ride novice if I go to an event as I was doing quite well and that beginner would likely be to easy for me.

I found it interesting because I didn't think I was doing quite that well tell he informed me that the few obstacles I was having a hard time with where intermediate to advanced.

cheers!

IT can depend, if your club makes beginner all the time... My club seldom has beginner, so what has happened is the novice line eased up a lot, so he's probably right.

My 17 year old recruit is about the same after 5 weeks since he bought his 280. he can almost jump onto a parked car, but if I make him turn tight to jump a 12-18 inch log, he's in trouble :lol3

I cannot stress enough, IMHO turning and balance, WORK ON IT. if you can turn (98 of 100 people that is) and keep balance to execute the obstacle you do with a 3/4ths mile "prepare/runup to" you will be damn good very soon. But doing figure 8's for 98 of 100 people, seem boring, especially the younger people. I spend hours, practicing turning techniques, and BTW, Ive been riding for 40 years, I enjoy it, most dont.

jonnyc21 12-05-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting32 (Post 20184152)
IT can depend, if your club makes beginner all the time... My club seldom has beginner, so what has happened is the novice line eased up a lot, so he's probably right.

My 17 year old recruit is about the same after 5 weeks since he bought his 280. he can almost jump onto a parked car, but if I make him turn tight to jump a 12-18 inch log, he's in trouble :lol3

I cannot stress enough, IMHO turning and balance, WORK ON IT. if you can turn (98 of 100 people that is) and keep balance to execute the obstacle you do with a 3/4ths mile "prepare/runup to" you will be damn good very soon. But doing figure 8's for 98 of 100 people, seem boring, especially the younger people. I spend hours, practicing turning techniques, and BTW, Ive been riding for 40 years, I enjoy it, most dont.

Interesting that you bring up turning, the first 4 times I was on the bike (not on a course) it was just in the yard with a flat section and 2 hills to play on forcing me to turn tight, figure 8 level turns and balance. I loved the challenge of making the turns as tight as I could and learning to stop and keep the bike balanced. (Still working on both.)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I found the tight turns he had me doing challenging and fun! I learned how to do them better and better as the day went on. Having to go over a log, up a hill, or down a dip right after a turn was something I new I would have to do but doing it was quite a bit different than I had expected, again fun.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I on the other hand don't think I would be able to jump onto a parked car... :)<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks for the advice and I will remember to keep working on the 8's, including on hills, and the balance. (It felt great the first time I stopped the bike and kept it up without moving for more than 60 seconds, longest time so far was about 3 min.)


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014