ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Fuel Distance on Shadow of Rockies trail (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846433)

RivetMaster 12-05-2012 08:29 PM

Fuel Distance on Shadow of Rockies trail

From those who've run Shadow of the Rockies trail.

What was the average distance between fuel stops on this trail?
I've read all the ride reports and Sam didn't have anything specific information on this Trail.

I have ~130 mile tank with an emergency 1 gallon tank, and I'm not sure if I need to upgrade to a larger ~200 mile oversized tank. I'd like to not have to for the $$$ and the lbs.

dutch peter 12-31-2012 11:26 AM

Starting to plan the same trip with my brothers and I. Wondering about the same thing to assist with planning. :ear

CNRED 02-22-2013 04:22 AM

Any one with fuel info?

BigDogAdventures 02-22-2013 06:35 AM

There are 2 shadow of the rockies routes---you didn't mention which one---but after I thought about it the gas thing is the same for both----------you have enough gas to be OK.

However you have not allowed for something that I always make a priority.
What if ???? YOu have to re-route for a closed or impassable road ???
What if you hit a road that is washed out -----you have to back track 50 miles---then find another way ????
What if you crash and lose a little gas---I've had that happen several times.
What if a gas station is out of gas or isn't open ????

Having a 300 mile or more range is much smarter.

And if you are worried about the weight of an extra 2 gallons of gas that you may never use----think about the weight
of a 400----to 700 lb. motorcycle you'll be pushing if you run out. You'll make it about 13 ft.

With limited fuel you may run into a situation where the trail goes right-----------but your gas tank says you better go left for fuel---------I hate that.

I loved both the shadow of the rockies routes-----the New Mexico one was my favorite as it was more remote and far less people and towns.
And you can run the New Mexico route much earlier in the year than Colorado---as the snow melts off much earlier-------seems I rode it in March I think ?

BigDog

wbbnm 02-22-2013 08:24 AM

Another thing that can happen in southern NM is that White Sands Missile Range can close roads on BLM land due to rocket testing. We had that happen on a ride last May.

I can't remember the exact Shadow route, but 130 miles seems questionable in southern NM. Once north of I-40 you are probably okay with a little research on gas stations.

BlackHawkChief 03-09-2013 04:35 AM

looking for route info

I am planning on riding the SOR El paso to somewhere in colorado this fall when I return from Afganistan

wondering if anyone has any info they would like to share
fuel stops, route, camping options and mostly route info
also open to other riders wanting to go

I'll be on the KLR or DL650 havent decided

NorthernTraveler 03-09-2013 05:36 PM

Long gas

There is one section in NE New Mexico that is quite long... 150-175 miles then you have to go something like 20 miles out of your way to get gas.

This section I carried an extra 2 gallons of gas on top of a big tank (200 miles to reserve) and used it! I went around 300 miles ending at Trinidad Colorado.

There is also a long stretch north of Capitan... if you have 200 mile range you won't have to divert, otherwise you will have to go 30 miles out of your way to get gas - 30 miles each way!

So, yeah, you'll probably want a big tank... and might well still carry extra gas. I figure a 200 miles range to reserve, then carry an extra couple of gallons on the long sections.

BigDog is right, NM is very remote.... and cool. Keep in mind you hit nearly 10k elevation near Cloudcroft, so it can be 'cool' indeed there!

RivetMaster 03-10-2013 09:19 AM

Thanks for info guys!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:35 PM.