ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Which TV Should I Get? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850033)

Benesesso 12-20-2012 03:41 PM

Which TV Should I Get?
 
Need a new flat screen TV for the kitchen. Viewing distance will be ~10'. Don't have cable, etc. so everything will be from an antenna. Will only be on a few hr. a day. It will replace an ancient CRT Panasonic 17" TV that weighs ~12 million lb.

Been so many recent changes in TV's lately I can't keep up. Should have a tuner. Have LEDs replaced LCD TV yet? Cost isn't a big deal--TV won't need a big screen.

tommyg 12-20-2012 04:46 PM

toshiba makes a nice 26lcd that would be perfect, got one for my mom.

hugemoth 12-20-2012 04:57 PM

The LED TVs are still LCD but use LEDs for back lighting rather than the old fluorescent tube. LED is definitely the way to go. Go to the store and find a 1080P LED in a size that you like and compare the picture and sound to all the others. There is a big difference in picture quality and there are many good brands.

Benesesso 12-20-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugemoth (Post 20295848)
The LED TVs are still LCD but use LEDs for back lighting rather than the old fluorescent tube. LED is definitely the way to go. Go to the store and find a 1080P LED in a size that you like and compare the picture and sound to all the others. There is a big difference in picture quality and there are many good brands.

Thanks. I'm well aware that some stores screw up the video settings on models that sell well by themselves, in order to push the junk.

NikonsAndVStroms 12-20-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyg (Post 20295758)
toshiba makes a nice 26lcd that would be perfect, got one for my mom.

:nod

24-26" is the range I'd suggest too.

Also models change pretty fast so the thing to do is go online and find something with tons of great reviews. Even the name brands put out eh TV's and you can find the occasional hidden gem. I bought a 32" last year and it had a solid 5 star rating with hundreds of reviews so even though it's a no name I didn't care and it's been great. At that small of a size LED VS traditional LCD wont matter since it'll be pretty small anyways, so just look at those ratings.

soyanarchisto 12-21-2012 06:53 AM

Why not a plasma?

AerialCameras 12-21-2012 06:57 AM

If you're looking for a part time smaller screen, don't be afraid of a close out on a 720. If you watch a lot on ESPN, abc or Fox, then that's all you're getting anyway, at least for the next several years. Without a side by side A/B comparison, you probably will never see the difference.

Also If your kitchen is bright like most are, you'll want a little more contrast for better viewing. Samsung always seemed to have better black rendition than most.

hugemoth 12-21-2012 07:36 AM

I bought a Samsung 22 or 23" 1080P LCD a few months ago for $200 because it had a lot of good reviews and the picture looked better than any comparable TV. Much nicer picture than the 720P LCD I had before. It also weighs about 1/4 what the old TV weighed and uses 1/2 the power which is important in my solar powered house.

tommyg 12-21-2012 09:05 AM

Somethings to look for in tvs that small is they dont come in 1080p, and plasmas start at 42 inch. Almost all will do 720p. You should be able to pick up good 26 for $240

hugemoth 12-21-2012 09:57 AM

22" TVs didn't used to come in 1080P but they do now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyg (Post 20300458)
Somethings to look for in tvs that small is they dont come in 1080p, and plasmas start at 42 inch. Almost all will do 720p. You should be able to pick up good 26 for $240


Vbird 12-21-2012 10:38 AM

Just picked up a 24"/720 for my Dad for $150. With the smaller screen, it is hard to tell the diff between it and the 1080.

NikonsAndVStroms 12-21-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AerialCameras (Post 20299476)
If you're looking for a part time smaller screen, don't be afraid of a close out on a 720. If you watch a lot on ESPN, abc or Fox, then that's all you're getting anyway, at least for the next several years. Without a side by side A/B comparison, you probably will never see the difference.

Also If your kitchen is bright like most are, you'll want a little more contrast for better viewing. Samsung always seemed to have better black rendition than most.

At 10' away you wont be able to tell the difference on that screen even with an A/B comparison, really you need to be just a few feet away.....I'm posting from a 24" 1080P monitor.

Benesesso 12-21-2012 04:03 PM

Great replies so far! Thanks. What do inmates think of Consumers Report testing? Used to subscribe years ago--should I renew?

hscrugby 12-21-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benesesso (Post 20303456)
Great replies so far! Thanks. What do inmates think of Consumers Report testing? Used to subscribe years ago--should I renew?

No
Join avs forum
Better reviews and info than cr and free

And in the 24 - 26 size don't worry about 1080p
If it's mounted in a small space get an led lcd for heat reasons

tommyg 12-21-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benesesso (Post 20303456)
Great replies so far! Thanks. What do inmates think of Consumers Report testing? Used to subscribe years ago--should I renew?


cnet is a good website for anything electronic, I just bought my new plasma based on their reviews, and they were right about everything


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014