ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Best Dakar shot ever? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850601)

kellymac530 12-23-2012 02:05 PM

Best Dakar shot ever?

Possibly 205, but if not, it HAD to be posted. Quite possibly one of the coolest photos of a Dakar bike in action ever...

http://good-wallpapers.com/wallpaper...,%20Enduro.jpg

Bronco3738 12-23-2012 02:16 PM

I haven't seen it before. Thanks for posting.

FlyingPenguin 12-23-2012 02:44 PM

Well there's my new screensaver.

Deuce 12-23-2012 03:11 PM

Publicity photo

Marc Coma, unfortunately not riding this year because of injury.

kellymac530 12-23-2012 03:14 PM

Side note:
As a testament to the quality of KTM factory components...stock production lower triple clamp up under there....if anyone could afford to use super trick billet TCs it would be Marco Comas factory KTM team...yet he CHOOSES to use production stuff. Good stuff there.

Edit-looks like it may even be stock hubs in there.....?

Glad it is not 205.

Martynho 12-23-2012 05:49 PM

Good pic, but....

C`mon lads, great pic but it's just a 450. You see action like that at any motocross track any weekend.

It was brought home to me last year at the Dakar when a Chilean buddy of mine gave it the berries up a section on his open piped 990 before the race came through ( gotta love the Dakar, imagine that at any other world class race event?). I was watching from a hill overlooking the desert valley. It looked and sounded better than the pro`s coming though on the pukka rally bikes.

So my vote goes to a great man riding a proper machine. Shame they are both not still out there racing

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...psbb2ba0ee.jpg

kellymac530 12-24-2012 11:07 AM

Hey Marty,
I would have to agree that shots of BIG bikes ripping a berm or blast off a dune are awesome, maybe even better than just a 450 doing it.

I just thought it looked cool in full fairing, and huge fuel systems and full Dakar race trim just blasting and roosting that berm and pulling a full crossed up wheelie out of it was BA looking. Definately harder to do on a 950/990 or even a 660/690.

BTW, My wife is from Chile just up the road from you {or is it down the road?} in Rancaqua. I am hoping to visit there during Rally time in 2014. We owned a beach house in Vina Del Mar and my inlaws owned one in Valpariiso but we all sold them this year...to hard to manage beach rental from 5k miles away...:huh

Martynho 12-24-2012 11:25 AM

No arguement Kelly. Love the pic it is a great shot no doubt.

Yep Rancagua is about 100 kms south of here.

I am heading off on the 14th over to Cordoba to follow the rally round back to Copiapo then south to Santiago, now the 3rd year I have followed it. Really enjoy the combo of a good old ride and watching the Dakar. Hope you can make it for 2014. If you do make it down here next year let me know we pretty much have open house for visiting ADV members.:freaky

Cheers - Martyn

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellymac530 (Post 20320654)
Hey Marty,
I would have to agree that shots of BIG bikes ripping a berm or blast off a dune are awesome, maybe even better than just a 450 doing it.

I just thought it looked cool in full fairing, and huge fuel systems and full Dakar race trim just blasting and roosting that berm and pulling a full crossed up wheelie out of it was BA looking. Definately harder to do on a 950/990 or even a 660/690.

BTW, My wife is from Chile just up the road from you {or is it down the road?} in Rancaqua. I am hoping to visit there during Rally time in 2014. We owned a beach house in Vina Del Mar and my inlaws owned one in Valpariiso but we all sold them this year...to hard to manage beach rental from 5k miles away...:huh

Peanuts 12-24-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellymac530 (Post 20315515)
Side note:
As a testament to the quality of KTM factory components...stock production lower triple clamp up under there....if anyone could afford to use super trick billet TCs it would be Marco Comas factory KTM team...yet he CHOOSES to use production stuff. Good stuff there.

Edit-looks like it may even be stock hubs in there.....?

Glad it is not 205.

Some kinda publicity shot on a mock up bike?
It has SXS forks instead of the usual cone valved factory forks.
I bet the fuel tank is almost empty ;)

dzrtracin 12-24-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellymac530 (Post 20315125)
Possibly 205, but if not, it HAD to be posted. Quite possibly one of the coolest photos of a Dakar bike in action ever...

http://good-wallpapers.com/wallpaper...,%20Enduro.jpg

Been my screen saver for 3 years now, marc coma, on the 450

RIDE ON!

johnno950 12-24-2012 05:00 PM

Thought it was a 690,twin pipes,either way great shot.

Pete640 12-24-2012 06:38 PM

Yep - 690. The fairings give it away. No little wings as per 450rrs Also the 450s run a single akra on the other side

jonz 12-24-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martynho (Post 20320776)
I am heading off on the 14th over to Cordoba to follow the rally round back to Copiapo then south to Santiago, now the 3rd year I have followed it. Really enjoy the combo of a good old ride and watching the Dakar. Hope you can make it for 2014. If you do make it down here next year let me know we pretty much have open house for visiting ADV members.:freaky

Cheers - Martyn

Hey Martyn,
My 950SE (no decals and yellow Wolfman softbags) is enroute and will hopefully be unloaded and ready to ride in Valparaiso on the 16th. A friend and I hope to catch the race around Copiapo. Maybe we can meet - having a local help figure out where the specials are would be great.

FakeName 12-25-2012 07:43 AM

Well, from a photographer's POV-

Not only is the scene well composed and performed, the lighting is interesting, and what separates this shots from others similar to it.

Look at the light direction(s)- they've placed a very strong fill light (too strong to be a reflector) off to the left side of the frame- appears to be a fairly large source based on the specular highlight on the helmet. It MIGHT be all artificially lit- the highlight on the right side looks artificial as well, all though it might just be the sun on a cloudy day.

The light to camera left is completely lighting the underside of the bike- look at the footpegs and up under the fairing, boots, tires and swingarm.

Further, the light they're using has to be both powerful and fast- the only movement is in the tires, which must be spinning pretty fast, based on the position of the bike. Given the framing of the image and the depth of field, the lens is probably 50mm or slightly longer- he's pretty close to the photographer- not a lot of compression from a telephoto. My best guess is 85mm on a DSLR. Could be a bigger body- Hassy or something.

The image is virtually noise-free, so asa needs to be under 400 (at best) looks like 100, but we don't know the camera. Suffice to say it's not 6400 or something that would allow fast shutter speed at small apertures- ain't no free lunch.

So, with an 85mm, and that depth of field, camera's probably at f8 or smaller. To freeze this type of action at f8 or smaller, shutter speed needs to be 500th or better, even if strobed. So if it's strobe (and I suspect it is- could be a big HMI) it has to be both powerful, large and with a short strobe duration.

Very nicely done.

freco 12-25-2012 10:04 AM

Thanks for pointing this out. Both pics are great. First one is already my wallpaper. :clap

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:25 PM.