ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   First Scooter (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850631)

6speed 12-23-2012 04:35 PM

First Scooter

Hello All,
I lost out on an Elite 80 this past spring and after research realized that was a good thing. Anyway, I'm looking for a 125-200 cc scoot that is light weight with a flat floor. I've narrowed it down to the Yager, Zuma 125, SYM HD200 or the Like 200i. In my part of the woods their are not very many trees! I just missed an HD200 that was five hours away used for 1600.-- for an '09. I was also considering a Super 8 but can't seem to locate any. I'm a sit on it see it type of guy,

I've located a new '09 HD200 and wonder what is a fair price for it. I can't see it because it's crated but did mange to sit on a HD125 which some say is the same size/ergonomics. I like the extra room on the floor board compared to the Zuma and the larger wheels. I also sat on a Like 50 which I assume is the same as the Like 200. This is also a tighter fit like the Zuma. With back issues I gravitate to the larger wheels. Zuma looks masculine, SYM- power-wheels, Yager-technology, Like-price- FI, Super 8 can't see one. What's a good price for the '09 HD200? A new one is $3499.-- what's an '09 new worth, no rear disc brake also.

Thanks,

MODNROD 12-23-2012 05:04 PM

Price depends where you live.
All those bikes have a good rep for strong reliable runners.

=retread= 12-23-2012 05:59 PM

yager msrp was 3499.00 they arent selling them anymore could possibly get a good deal there on a new one. i bought my '10 in the summer of '11 2699.00.

6speed 12-23-2012 08:48 PM

I called on some Yagers and their gone. East coast, west coast too far to go get one, I don't know about shipping.

Dabears 12-23-2012 09:57 PM

If you follow the SYM forum you'll find that the HD200 is an excellent scooter, and since they're still being sold you're looking at a model that should continue to have parts availability.

Do note that the HD200 has a carb, not FI, so be aware of that if you care....

The best I've seen watching craigslist has been around 2700 for a new 2009. They didn't change all that much in 2012, so there's not going to be that much of a price drop.

Best of luck if you get one- you should get plenty of trouble free service out of it.

I'm sure you are already aware, but it's really important that you have access to a dealer for parts and service should you need them. SYM does not have nearly as strong a dealer network as Kymco, so they should in consideration as another great choice.

fullmetalscooter 12-23-2012 10:21 PM

http://www.cycletrader.com/Sym-Hd-20...99&vrsn=hybrid

2500 is the price for new ones on cycle trader if that helps. Cheapest one is 2300 new so I would say 2500 out the door might be a good deal with taxes etc included. Jan-apirl are the slow months for sales so thats when you get the best bargain. Still think the helix is the best scooter out there but everyone here knows I love them.

JerryH 12-28-2012 08:25 PM

I have a Zuma 125, bought brand new, and I love it, with one exception. It is not freeway legal. If you plan on doing any traveling, that is definitely something to consider. It is almost impossible to go very far without getting on a freeway, even if you don't want to. The Zuma is also fuel injected, and I much prefer carbs. So far it has run fine, but I like something I can work on, plus FI has some super expensive electronic parts. Since I always start my engines up and let them warm up before taking off, FI has no advantages for me, it's just an EPA thing.

cbolling 12-28-2012 10:50 PM

Wow, fuel injection was one of the main reasons that I bought the Zuma. If it had carbs it would not have been on the list.

kiznile 12-29-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbolling (Post 20349093)
Wow, fuel injection was one of the main reasons that I bought the Zuma. If it had carbs it would not have been on the list.

As a mechanic I have a love hate relationship with both. If you daily drive it, modern carbs are GREAT. If it spends a lot of time napping in the garage, fuel injection is a must.

That being said, I drive my carb powered scarabeo 200 about 1000 miles a month and 100% maintenance free.

The only huge advantage to EFI is fast starting.

JerryH 01-01-2013 09:47 PM

I never will understand why almost everyone hates carbs. Carbs have been around forever, and are well proven. They are also easy to work on. Unless you damage one somehow, about the worst it will ever need is cleaning, and eventually new gaskets and float needle valve set. I have never had a problem with the carbs on any bike I bought new, my '08 Vino 125 has 24,000+ miles on it and has always started right up and run perfectly. It still runs just as well as the Zuma. It has been stored a couple of times for a couple of months, I drained the float bowl, and put stabilizer in the gas tank. I also put a little Seafoam in the gas once in a while. My '02 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, bought new, now has almost 76,000 miles on it, and the carbs have never been off. I maintain it the same way as the Vino. I DID have some issues with the carbs on my '95 Goldwing, but it had been stored for some time, and the PO did not know how to store a motorcycle. It ran fine once I cleaned the carbs out, and still runs fine almost 40,000 miles later. I have also never had any problems with the carbs on cars/trucks.

Fuel injection works, though I have never seen a fuel injected engine that idled right. A properly set up carb will have a dead even idle, if the engine is mechanically ok, FI tends to fluctuate a lot more, and takes longer to return to idle when you release the throttle. But the main things that scare me about fuel injection are the super expensive to buy but cheaply made electronics that control it, and the fact that it can fail suddenly, without warning, leaving you stranded on the road. A carb will not do that. They can still function and get you home even if they are not working properly, and on many bikes, you can even take them apart on the side of the road with simple tools. Shortly after getting my '09 Genuine Stella, I had to disassemble and clean the carb twice beside the road, something had gotten into the fuel system during manufacturing and plugged it up. I installed a filter, but that must have been all of it, as the filter never got plugged up again.

I am a fleet services mechanic, and work on mostly newer vehicles, which all have FI. I much prefer carbs. Yes, some of the last carbs on cars were a nightmare, but they didn't need to be, the EPA was to blame for that. '60s carbs weren't like that and they worked just fine. The Weber 2 barrel on my '72 Pinto is simplicity itself, and the FoMoCo 1 barrel on my '64 Fairlane is even simpler. Both cars run great, and the carbs have never been an issue. I also just plain have an aversion to electronics on motor vehicles. I grew up working on what are vintage vehicles today, and those, and motorcycles/scooters are still my main hobbies. I love to tinker with things, and todays new vehicles have nothing left to tinker with.

cbolling 01-02-2013 07:00 AM

You own a 72' Pinto? :eek1

MotoRandy123 01-02-2013 08:06 AM

Well my pet peave is getting maximum fuel mileage and the fuel injection bikes and scoots are much
better for that. A carb has to be set rich to run right under all conditions and most are a bit cold blooded.

The Yager is nice. I bought one before they are sold out. It has fuel injection, water cooling, dual disk brakes,
a flat floor, great underseat storage and only weighs 300 pounds. I've been getting 80 MPG's with mine. The
bigger bikes are nice but fuel mileage goes down quickly with more cc's.

6speed 01-02-2013 07:35 PM

I'm not so worried about the FI/Carb issue as I am the disc brakes and power of the potential new scoot. I would probably gravitate towards a Yager if given the chance at one because of the technology/storage. I would like to see and sit on one. The Zuma looks like a lot of fun but would limit me on the top end. The Like 200i and the Yami both felt a little tight but I enjoyed the light weight of these scoots and wonder about the 12" wheels. This wheel size just looks like it would be a hoot.

Oh well, it's cold and snowy here and I've managed to find an HD200 so all is not lost. I just don't want to commit to it right now with the uncertainty of the economy. But I think I'm going to do a right of first refusal with a c-note and see if they'll hold/honor it till march.

cdwise 01-03-2013 08:19 PM

I can do over 5,000 ft of elevation change in the course of one ride which is why I prefer EFI and do not want a carb. If I rode on basically flat land then a carb would be fine.

greg531 01-07-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdwise (Post 20390276)
I can do over 5,000 ft of elevation change in the course of one ride which is why I prefer EFI and do not want a carb. If I rode on basically flat land then a carb would be fine.

In the Houston area? I must have been blind that I didn't see those mountains when I lived there!!!! :rofl

Vespa, Aprilia, and Piaggio are good scooter brands too!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:30 PM.