ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How'd you find this joint, anyway? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850848)

SkiFastBadly 12-24-2012 08:13 PM

How'd you find this joint, anyway?

Don't know why it popped into my head. I just got to wondering how so many people (well, mostly people) all over the planet stumbled across this site. Not like there's a Superbowl ad for it or anything?

My story: In the summer of 2007 I was riding only a Harley Heritage and a buddy on a GS in Utah convinced me that I needed to get something I could follow him on off road. I looked at the Triumph Tiger (955 back then) and the GS and then decided I better get educated on the whole adventure bike scene and a google turned this place up, and here I am 1300+ posts later. The rest of you folks just stumble on to it as well?

Charlie Gary 12-24-2012 08:14 PM

A friend told me about it.

Zanotti 12-24-2012 08:21 PM

I read Flug's epic cross country trip report and was hooked!

ragtoplvr 12-24-2012 08:23 PM

I used the hall of wisdom to bleed my wizzy brakes.

Rod

DAKEZ 12-24-2012 08:23 PM

Bumped into this guy at an Artic Circle one day

http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=4263

It took us a couple of years to figure out that we had already met years earlier. I worked with his Sister back in 1979.

DestinationUnknown 12-24-2012 08:41 PM

Im a noob of course, but I found a link to a RideReport on another site that lead me here.

SteelB12 12-24-2012 08:48 PM

When I bought the KLR, a friend said I could probably find good suggestions for milk crates on this site

The Walrus 12-24-2012 08:49 PM

I had my first beemer...a 99 RT and was on the RT forum that was owned by some total dick named David...kinda like BSC, everything was about him and his site.....so I did a totally unacceptable post/take off on James Brown....I'd hung a Two Brothers pipe on my bike and it no longer sounded like a sewing machine.....hence the post....I'm loud and I'm proud...

So unacceptable that someone said I really belonged with the inmates here...so much better, thank you....I PM'd fish and got a nice personalized acceptance....thanks to fish, baldy and all the old inmates who seem to lurk these days.....

:wave

and the emoticons fit me much better too..........:fyyff

BTW.....when's the last time you got a chance to ski fast as badly as we know you can.......:deal

mtnbikeboy 12-24-2012 09:34 PM

I think I got linked here from the largest 4 wheeled off road site. Probably a crazier asylum than this place, and lots of crossover membership. All hail PBB.

RFVC600R 12-24-2012 10:11 PM

Google.

I was looking for information on my old '82 XL250R, found this gold mine and discovered adventure riding :D

beanmop 12-24-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbikeboy (Post 20323864)
I think I got linked here from the largest 4 wheeled off road site. Probably a crazier asylum than this place, and lots of crossover membership. All hail PBB.

Same here. I worked at an off-road shop for a number of years that was/is pretty prevalent on pirate. Spent entirely too much time on there. Somehow it brought me here.

bigtallguy 12-24-2012 10:30 PM

Google kept pointing me here when I asked it a question. Finally decided to cut the middle man.

Bogfarth 12-24-2012 10:52 PM

Waaaaay back when I was just thinkin' about buying a bike, I wanted info about motorcycles in general. Proper gear, good first bikes, that kinda thing. Which led me here, and to the 250 Ninja. Turns out, this place had quite a bit of info about them. Not as much as Ninjette.org, granted, but plenty for a l337 n00b like me to soak up. Then I read Doug's little epistle about riding around the world on a choppah. Free time? Frak that, I found me some good stories about crazy guys on bikes! :lol3

Oh, the Ninjette? Turns out I don't fit on 'em so well. :rofl

D R 12-24-2012 11:17 PM

As morbid as it may sound, "Face Plant" is what lead me to discover this site. It wasn't a face plant of my own however. As a safety minded individual (ingrained in me by military and LEO experience) I've always been on the look out for accident related stories to study -- what caused them, what can I learn from them, how can I avoid them. The quest for stories people shared about their own mishaps and those of others, led me to "Face Plant" and Adventure Rider.

Ceri JC 12-24-2012 11:55 PM

A friend told me about it. He knew I was interested in adventure riding, so told me about it. We both lurked for a long time, eventually, I joined up, once I bought my F800GS.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:12 AM.