ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Giant Loop or Enduristan Moonsoons? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851098)

Ramv 12-26-2012 10:29 AM

Giant Loop or Enduristan Moonsoons?

I got an Enduristan tank bag for Christmas. Looks very well built. I was planning on doing the Great Basin on my bike (in orange of course) but now I am thinking the Monsoons may be attractive.

The bike is an '07 SE with adv tank, BDCW rack and no passenger pegs or pannier racks.

Anythoughts? Any experience with both? I want to skip the racks if I can avoid it. I don't mind putting the passenger pegs back on if needed but would rather not.

I can't seem to find any negatives on either, both seem to have positive reviews for the most part. Both would be for road/trail camping excursions.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Schannulleke 12-26-2012 12:41 PM

I am having more or less the same idea & question.

Superenduro without rack, but with passenger foot pegs. I want luggage system that:
- is 100% waterproof
- weight positioned low on the bike
- keeps the bike relatively narrow (so doesn't stick out to the sides as much)

The Great Basin and the Monsoon are the best 2 options as far as known to me.

Great Basin (volume of 50 liters):
+ narrower
+ no need for rack at all / However passenger pegs and heat shields needed
+ good mounting system/concept
- not completely 100% waterproof (as experienced by some people I know)
- weight relatively high
- outer shell = waterproof layer
- pricey

Enduristan Monsoon (volume of 60 liters):
- wider
? in theory no rack needed, but in real world...
? I don't know of negative experiences with waterproofing
- I am not convinced of the mounting system
+ weight relatively low
+ top of panniers flush with the sadle of the bike: good basis to mount an extra roll bag if needed
+ outer shell as protection separately from the inner waterproof liner
+ a little less expensive

Someone perhaps has experiences with both :ear

DeepInIt 12-26-2012 04:46 PM

Two Quick Things

I don't like the mounting for the Great Basin because I want the straps free to use while the bag is secure on the bike. Thus was easily solved with a piece of bent metal past through the loop of the center strap on the bottom of the bag. This clips on the rear rack. The two lower straps attach to the pegs to mount the bag. Everything attached to the bag comes off in one piece.

Many people don't read the instructions on the Great Basin. You have to seem seal the bag to make it waterproof.

Qwik 12-26-2012 08:22 PM

I checked out the Enduristan stuff real good. Kurt and Martha had em at Tahoe and Moab and They are just beautifully made.

DesertSurfer 12-27-2012 11:48 AM

Great Basin is a very nice, tight, fit. The profile keeps it snug behind the rider and handles light "get offs" really well. It rides very well too. No restrictions to the riding position when riding, or during a "get off".

You must use their provided exhaust heat shield. And need to make sure it lines up properly to the bag. If you care about your side cover decals or finish, I'd recommend applying clear 3M paint protection. This keeps dirt trapped under the underside of the bags from scuffing the decals and finish.

Big downside of the GB is there is only one access point. And if you add another bag you've blocked any items in the bag for easy access. A remedy is putting important items like layers, water, snacks, flashlight, etc in a topbag that you can get to when en route.

Where as the Enduristan or Kriega's have multiple access points and are generally not compromised when adding a rear rack top bag. But they have a wider side profile, making them more susceptible to hangups.

The dual side bag set up does allow for easier storage of larger individual items like water cartons, bulky clothes, extra jacket, large cooking element. But there is a point where you want to limit the weight.

The GB is designed for the rider whose conscious of keeping the packing to a minimal.

Rumors are... the Giant Loop has a possible new product designed to mount above the GB increasing the load capacity by nearly double.

Either option is a huge storage enhancement for the 9xx, and at some point is splitting hairs as to which works best.

I love the GB for it's design and riding fit. But that's just my humble and personal opinion. Take it as a grain...

mjlang 12-27-2012 12:02 PM

Cheeseburger had a pair of Enduristan luggage on his SE on our last trip from TJ to Cabo in November. They were sold as "Baja Tested" by Black Dog and I'm not sure what street ride they did in Baja; these bags were barely hanging on by Loreto. The mount straps ripped and the outer bag stitching fell apart. Fortunately there is an inner water proof liner and it kept all of Colby's stuff inside. They were expensive and were trash by the end of the ride; would not recommend them.

modeselector 12-27-2012 10:37 PM

I had the previous generation GL Great Basin, sold it and have the current, more improved version with better interior bags and flap over the zipper.

It's a love/hate relationship for me and after three years of use, I am looking to get away from the design for a soft (traditional) pannier solution.

These are going to be released in a month or so:
http://www.ktmtwins.com/giant-loop-k...kiyou-panniers

Looking real hard at these too - slash resistant and locking option:
http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html

It's good to have options~we are spoiled. :D

Schannulleke 12-28-2012 09:46 AM

The Magadan panniers (and most others) require a luggage rack to be mounted on the bike. The Great basin doesn't.

In the specific case of the superenduro, the difference between with-luggage-rack or without-luggage-rack, is significant. With luggage rack and hard cases, the bike becomes wide enough to give you the impression you can create enough lift when riding fast that you are able to fly :lol3

That new model from Giant Loop looks interesting (and perhaps eliminates all the minuses from the current great basin :clap) though very expensive. More rescources, pictures (mounted on bikes), specifications?

Quote:

You have to seem seal the bag to make it waterproof.
The complaints were even with the bags correctly sealed, but it was not the current model, it was the previous model. The same experience here (post #13).

nordicbiker 12-28-2012 11:24 AM

Great Basin can never be totally waterproof, it has a zipper! So in worst case, when you drown the hole bike or ride in apocalyptical rain, you will have flooding in the bag. Well, maybe the bike will be the bigger problem, then...!

toowheels 12-28-2012 01:08 PM

I'll try to shed some more light on the this since I've used the Kodiak prototypes a few times this past season which were the predecessor's to the Siskiyou panniers.

The Kodiaks on a bike (sorry wrong bike!):
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps010aabc2.jpg
No side racks used here and a Hot Springs Heat Shield is used.

The Siskiyou on their own:
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...Siskiyoulg.png
some specs:
-70L capacity (the Kodiaks were 60 for reference)
-comes with two Hot Springs Heat Shields
-typical heavy duty GL construction
-comes with 2 removable waterproof seam sealed interior bags
-does not need a side rack to work
-quick access outside pockets and inner mesh pockets under the flaps

My experience with them is that they are much more stable than other soft side panniers I have used. This of course is not by accident! I am very impressed with how they work and everything about them.

While they are not cheap they will last a long time and move bike to bike very easily.

As for the Great Basin you can now get a waterproof roll top seam sealed interior bag set...

Both the Great Basin and the Siskiyou should not have a problem being used without passenger pegs since the lower straps are quite long.

If you have any q's let me know.

Dave

modeselector 12-28-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toowheels (Post 20346090)
Both the Great Basin and the Siskiyou should not have a problem being used without passenger pegs since the lower straps are quite long.

If you have any q's let me know.
Dave

Thanks for chiming in Dave.

One thing I have been trying to figure out is how the Siskiyou attaches to the rear of the bike (fender?) or is a rear rack necessary?

Siskiyou's look quiet large too. How do you think this would fit a shorter wheelbase DS bike like a DR650 or KTM 690? Anyone know the GL dimensions?

genghis9021 12-29-2012 08:04 PM

As always - depends on requirements

I have the GLM Great Basin and have used it a number of times including from Frankfurt to Ulaan Bator via the 'Stans. In 2013 I'll "finish" the ride into Siberia. Pretty sure I had not a little to do with the orange color option for GLM, fwiw.

Pros:
  1. The stability of the GLM stuff is stupendous. You simply never worry. It's real narrow, too. In a getoff on the Transfargassan in Romania the bag was barely scuffed from a 35' slide on tarmac.
  2. On/off the bike fast.
  3. Wonderfully light AND strong. I only carried 22kg (< 50 pounds of gear) but that was not a limitation of the gear.

Cons:
  1. Access is blocked by a secondary bag.
  2. They're not remotely watertight in spite of years of practice seam sealing tents and tarps and Norwegian welt boots. For Siberia that's a real downer. For California - who cares !
  3. Seat room is compromised and so is getting back.
  4. Weight can be packed low but it's not as far forward and still higher than the Monsoons, Magadan panniers, etc.
  5. On/off the bike fast but if dirty/wet . . . dirt on you fast.

Enduristan tank bag - Sandstorm has replaced my KTM bag AND my GLM Fandango. TOTALLY waterproof. Fandango is narrow but . . . leaks.

A buddy rode with the Monsoon bags on his old Boxxer from Austria. The outer material wore thru but the waterproofness was never compromised. They do seem a bit "light" in build quality or are best when there's no rack. The owner of Enduristan rides a KTM. :)

I'm going to use the Monsoon's next year for Siberia. They're a good deal, it seems, for what you get and in comparison to the market, be it motorbike or bicycle luggage. I don't understand NON-roll tops. The design of the GLM panniers is not impressing me, so far.

I really like the low, forward weight with no rack. Completely waterproof is a must for me, there. Having the rest of my saddle back for my long legs (37" inseam) and for more technical riding will be welcomed.

I've also considered the Magadan panniers which seem fantastic in every way EXCEPT the rack requirement. Secure, waterproof, soft luggage - the Holy Grail . . . except for the rack requirement.

I considered removing my passenger pegs and ultimately didn't. On a tarmac getoff those pegs did a great job of preventing damage to the GLM bag. My left-side passenger peg is kinda "frozen" closed, now.

A comprehensive review of choices omitting the GLM products.

In 2014 I plan on doing a very remote ride on a Husaberg FE570 in Siberia and am still looking for luggage for 20Kg . . .

toowheels 12-29-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modeselector (Post 20346434)
Thanks for chiming in Dave.

One thing I have been trying to figure out is how the Siskiyou attaches to the rear of the bike (fender?) or is a rear rack necessary?

Siskiyou's look quiet large too. How do you think this would fit a shorter wheelbase DS bike like a DR650 or KTM 690? Anyone know the GL dimensions?

I can only speak of the protos until I see the final product we'll have displayed at the Vancouver Moto Show Jan 17-20.

In that respect ideally you do need to fasten the rear of the panniers to something (or across to each other :wink:). There are a few different ways to do that both up top and off the inside at the back. In my case you can just see the orange GL straps fastening it to my top rack. I later did a different fastening method I liked better from the inside at the back to the top rack. I think you could make them work with just about any bike...but that's the proto...

As for size for the proto I have about 48cm long x 35 tall x 19cm deep. The capacity has been increased slightly over the proto...

From what I've seen by putting them on different bikes they can work on a wide variety. They did fit better on a DRZ400 (and quite well too) than a DR650 but that was only because the bulky turn signals prevented them from going back further otherwise I think they would work well there too.

Dave

modeselector 12-30-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toowheels (Post 20355377)
In that respect ideally you do need to fasten the rear of the panniers to something (or across to each other :wink:). There are a few different ways to do that both up top and off the inside at the back. In my case you can just see the orange GL straps fastening it to my top rack. I later did a different fastening method I liked better from the inside at the back to the top rack.

Ok so if I understand correctly: lower fronts to passenger peg area, center strap over the seat and the rear looped through possibly a rack which is then connected to the other side (which is also through rack)?

toowheels 12-30-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modeselector (Post 20361211)
Ok so if I understand correctly: lower fronts to passenger peg area, center strap over the seat and the rear looped through possibly a rack which is then connected to the other side (which is also through rack)?

Yes lower fronts to passenger peg area (or frame if none) centre velcro/straps section across saddle/top rack/fender (whichever) and then the proto has two straps with a few different anchoring points you can run from the top to the top rack (as in pic above) or from the inside sides (again with a few different anchoring points) to the top rack or whatever. I was also suggesting as an alternative (maybe a little confusing) you could run the straps side to side between the two panniers across tail light section if needed on a more rearward position, no top rack or anchor point or "shorter" bike if you get what I mean. Is that any less confusing? :lol3

Dave

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:19 PM.