ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Lock up your bike!! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851801)

RFVC600R 12-29-2012 02:37 PM

Lock up your bike!!

I hope this is the right place.... Just a reminder, we all need them now and again.

I bought a bike lock for my motorcycle yesterday. I locked it up when I got home from work about 3:30AM. When I was going out to pick up some milk this morning, at about 11:30am, I noticed strange foot prints by my XL600. I almost didn't buy the lock.:puke1 There is no reason for anyone's foot prints to be there.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...psea9b501f.jpg

When I was taking pictures, a San Bernadino County sheriff stopped and said I look suspicious and asked why are you taking pictures? I explained it is my bike and the situation. He then informed me that dual sports and dirt bikes are the most stolen type of vehicle in the area:eek1. and that thieves are busting locks and chains to get them

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...psde935645.jpg

I park my bike close the meter guard and lock the handlebars facing the wall. I am going to get a heavy duty chain and a fatty master lock today.

Please lock up your bike(s) if you don't have a garage for storage. I don't even have a fence. I don't want to hear about an inmate's bike getting stolen when it could of been prevented. We love our motorcycles.

Any lock can be broken. it is a matter of time and effort. You have to present to the criminal it is not worth the work and risk.

Ride on!

100mpg 12-29-2012 02:41 PM

timing, is everything!

thomas.tc.young 12-29-2012 03:27 PM

Good man, I learned my lesson when my xr250 was stolen. I even have the guys on video doing it but it's still gone. :cry

Now when in questionable neighborhoods I lock up the klr

D R 12-29-2012 04:24 PM

Buy a cover as well. It doesn't have to be an expensive cover, just something to help take away the visual temptation. If they can't tell what it is from the street, they just might keep going and not look any further at yours.

car94 12-29-2012 04:44 PM

Crooks are determined!!

That setup is exactly what I had on my ATV's when they were stolen. The kryptonite cable can be cut easily by bolt cutters. Now when leave my stuff exposed, I use disc brake locks a cable lock and sometimes I will put an additional hoop lock through the rear wheel. The only way it can be moved is if someone picks the whole thing up!.

LuciferMutt 12-29-2012 04:52 PM

I was happy to open this thread and see your bike did NOT get stolen. Theives can all burn in the hottest part of hell for eternity. :pissed

bomber1965 12-29-2012 08:22 PM

Who would steal something with a drum brake? :lol3

Jnich77 12-29-2012 08:26 PM

I keep my bike covered and locked.... going to get it insured with my FASFA money in January....insurance is probably the best investment when it comes to "security"...lol.

RFVC600R 12-29-2012 11:43 PM

I got a 2x4 and put some 8 inch nails through it and when I'm doing locking my bike, I bury the piece wood and leave the nails sticking out. I placed it along the side you would mount it from.

:D am I evil? hope he don't come back or has a tetanus shot

D R 12-30-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dracus124 (Post 20355535)
I got a 2x4 and put some 8 inch nails through it and when I'm doing locking my bike, I bury the piece wood and leave the nails sticking out. I placed it along the side you would mount it from.

:D am I evil? hope he don't come back or has a tetanus shot

You might want to reconsider the 2x4 with nails. Speaking from an LEO background, courts have tended to frown on home-made booby traps, especially if they injure some child who may have just been curious for a closer look at your motorcycle.

Even if you "nail" (pun intended) the perpetrator, you might find yourself liable.

Contevita 12-30-2012 01:51 AM

That bike isn't very wide, park it inside.

RFVC600R 12-30-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D R (Post 20355700)
You might want to reconsider the 2x4 with nails. Speaking from an LEO background, courts have tended to frown on home-made booby traps, especially if they injure some child who may have just been curious for a closer look at your motorcycle.

Even if you "nail" (pun intended) the perpetrator, you might find yourself liable.

Yeah dumb idea, I bent all the nails down and threw it away. :ear

Bill Harris 12-30-2012 04:25 AM

Yeah, you'd hate to get sued by the bike thief.

I used to have a shaped charge under the seat... :eek1

--Bill

100mpg 12-30-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 20356044)
Yeah, you'd hate to get sued by the bike thief.

I used to have a shaped charge under the seat... :eek1

--Bill

:lol3

the cost of constantly putting new seats on the bike changed your mind?

jules083 12-30-2012 05:09 AM

I can't remember the brand now, but I have a disk lock that is more of a pin type than a padlock. No room for boltcutters. Either way though if they want it bad enough they're getting it.

I carry theft insurance on everything but my zx-14, lock everything as best I can, and hope for the best. Too expensive on that bike.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:26 AM.