ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Heated Topcase (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852089)

Mr_Gone 12-31-2012 12:05 AM

Heated Topcase

So I just bought a new Givi E55 topcase for myself for Christmas, and some heated gear, which means I'm good to ride down into the single digits, and I plan on riding through the winter.

I keep some items in my topcase digital camera, for example that I would rather not freeze if I go riding for a few hours. Has anyone come up with a way to keep the items in their topcase from freezing? Or is this a question only an insomniac like me considers at 2:00 a.m.?

I've considered battery-powered heated socks, cut down the middle to form a heating pad of sorts. Maybe one on the bottom of the case, and one placed on top of my stuff. With a 9-volt rechargeable battery, they should radiate some heat for at least a couple hours.

Also, tossing in a couple/few disposable heat packs, like those you find in most hunting stores. I don't know if these would radiate enough heat, though.

I would rather not wire up heating elements into the topcase, as this would mean drilling at least one small hole in the topcase.

Any thoughts? Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated. Insults will be tolerated. Questions of my sanity are expected.

E-town dirt dude 12-31-2012 12:12 AM

How cold are you riding in? Most electronic equipment will do just fine in cold conditions. It's the batteries that will suffer. Keep camera batteries in your pockets and they will be okay. And realistically....if it's that cold...put the bike away :D

advNZer? 12-31-2012 01:21 AM

i think you need to be careful here.If you have a warm camera and bring it out into cold air,you might cause yourself condensation issues INSIDE the camera

Leodis41 12-31-2012 01:44 AM

If the camera gear is warm inside and out you will not get condensation forming when you remove it from the top box and case.

Condensation forms when warm moist air hits a cold surface whose temperature is lower than the dew point of the warm air.
The bigger risk is when you put the camera back in the top box, if it is cold and damp outside this, dampness will permeate into the top box, after using the camera outside it will have cooled down, so when you put it back in the top box that is when the risk of condensation forming on the camera. This is because the camera will be cold and the air in the top box warm and moist and so condensation could form.

Keep the top box unheated and if really cold take a spare set of batteries with you.

Oh and when taking the photo be careful of where you breathe when you get the camera out.

PeterW 12-31-2012 01:46 AM

Get an insulated bag for the camera and heat that. It'll use a lot less power.

Pete

Speedo66 12-31-2012 07:18 AM

Come on, come clean. You're going to be delivering pizzas aren't you? :lol3

How about just carrying the camera in an inner pocket?

Mr_Gone 12-31-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedo66 (Post 20363238)
Come on, come clean. You're going to be delivering pizzas aren't you? :lol3

You got me. I bought my FJR so I can be anywhere in 30 minutes or less. :evil

[QUOTE=Speedo66;20363238How about just carrying the camera in an inner pocket?[/QUOTE]

The camera is too big for carrying in a pocket.

Mr_Gone 12-31-2012 09:36 AM

I'm riding down into the single digits.

And I don't need to keep everything in the topcase at 68 degrees. I just want to keep some of the electronics from actually freezing.

acejones 12-31-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Gone (Post 20364279)
I'm riding down into the single digits.

And I don't need to keep everything in the topcase at 68 degrees. I just want to keep some of the electronics from actually freezing.

It gets that cold in Arkansas ?

Mr_Gone 12-31-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acejones (Post 20364469)

It happens occasionally, but rarely. I ride every day, though, unless there's ice on the road.

Last winter, I don't think the temps fell below freezing more than a half dozen times at night. This year, it's been in teens several times, so I'm anticipating a colder winter.

But I have a new hobby photography so I'm trying to get out more, ride on the weekends, and start learning how to take better photos. So during the winter, that means colder temps.

JimVonBaden 12-31-2012 11:07 AM

Boot sole liners that are heated. They are flat and draw only a little power. Should be enough.

Jim :brow

Albie 12-31-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acejones (Post 20364469)

For two weeks. :lol3

Albie 12-31-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Gone (Post 20364854)
It happens occasionally, but rarely. I ride every day, though, unless there's ice on the road.

Last winter, I don't think the temps fell below freezing more than a half dozen times at night. This year, it's been in teens several times, so I'm anticipating a colder winter.

But I have a new hobby photography so I'm trying to get out more, ride on the weekends, and start learning how to take better photos. So during the winter, that means colder temps.

One problem you can run into is if the camera is several degrees warmer then the outside air, when you pull it out you'll have issues with the lens fogging up and heck, maybe even the sensor I'm guessing. I would think you want to keep the camera at or about the temps of the outside air. Like someone else said, just keep teh batteries warm.

Leodis41 12-31-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albie (Post 20365420)
One problem you can run into is if the camera is several degrees warmer then the outside air, when you pull it out you'll have issues with the lens fogging up and heck, maybe even the sensor I'm guessing.

Sorry to correct you but refer to post 4 earlier. Hot moist air hitting a cold surface, not cold air on a hot surface.

Albie 12-31-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leodis41 (Post 20365670)
Sorry to correct you but refer to post 4 earlier. Hot moist air hitting a cold surface, not cold air on a hot surface.

So the reverse, putting the cold camera into the heated top case will cause the condensation.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:20 AM.