ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hi Viz or Regular color on jacket? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852136)

guiri 12-31-2012 08:41 AM

Hi Viz or Regular color on jacket?

Guys, should I go for Hi Viz when buying a motorcycle jacket or does it matter?

What about something with more color like Red but NOT being Hi Viz?

What is your opinion on this?

THanks

George

navi 12-31-2012 09:12 AM

Read it somewhere ?

Hi Viz & White Helmet, ( and moving thru traffic ) best possible combination

My 2

guiri 12-31-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navi (Post 20364092)
( and moving thru traffic )

???

Thanks

Dirtysouth 12-31-2012 09:26 AM

A Hi-viz jacket and a white helmet will get you noticed more so than a red jacket and black helmet. It's not going to be 100% foolproof, but it will make you more visible. You can always just buy a Hi-viz vest to go over any color jacket if you want.

bomber60015 12-31-2012 09:26 AM

Human's eyes are drawn to motion . . . .something stationary is easily not percieved . . . . .

It' swhy many rider, including myself, diddybop back and forth within our lane while riding in traffic . . . . the added dimension of motion makes us more likely to be noticed . . . . . .

Bill Murray 12-31-2012 09:27 AM

It's dangerous out there. I want the odds as much in my favorite as possible. Wearing hi-viz jackets is one to help. My summer riding jacket is hi-viz; my winter jacket is not, but when it gets replaced, it will be be with a hi-viz. A disadvantage of hi-viz is that they show dirt and grime.

I have also switched to wearing a white helmet -- it helps also.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Mudcat 12-31-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guiri (Post 20363870)
What is your opinion on this?
THanks
George

I think it’s a personnel choice, hi viz might be marginally safer. I like black or gray myself<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

guiri 12-31-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtysouth (Post 20364196)
A Hi-viz jacket and a white helmet will get you noticed more so than a red jacket and black helmet. It's not going to be 100% foolproof, but it will make you more visible. You can always just buy a Hi-viz vest to go over any color jacket if you want.

Nah, if I'm gonna buy a vest, might as well get the whole jacket in Hi Viz.

Thanks

Dirtysouth 12-31-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guiri (Post 20364282)
Nah, if I'm gonna buy a vest, might as well get the whole jacket in Hi Viz.

Thanks

If I was buying a new jacket, then yes I would buy a Hi-viz. If I already had a jacket, I would save my money and just buy a vest to go over my existing jacket.

guiri 12-31-2012 09:46 AM

Well, I'm getting a new jacket so it'll be hi viz then since it seems there's little doubt
about your choices.

Now to find a jacket that fits my 62" gut :(

randyo 12-31-2012 09:52 AM

Hi-Vis

I had a red jacket at one time, after 25,000 or so of riding it was a pink jacket from ultraviolet light fade, and it looked ghey till I replaced it

acejones 12-31-2012 09:58 AM

Navi is absolutely right. The most visible stuff out there is hi-viz jacket and white helmet. Do not go with a red jacket as it WILL eventually fade to pink.
As for hi viz showing dirt; it will. Just clean it. Do you want to look fashionable or be visible ?

guiri 12-31-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyo (Post 20364401)
Hi-Vis

I had a red jacket at one time, after 25,000 or so of riding it was a pink jacket from ultraviolet light fade, and it looked ghey till I replaced it

Pink? Oooh, sexy

:)

guiri 12-31-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acejones (Post 20364436)
Navi is absolutely right. The most visible stuff out there is hi-viz jacket and white helmet. Do not go with a red jacket as it WILL eventually fade to pink.
As for hi viz showing dirt; it will. Just clean it. Do you want to look fashionable or be visible ?

Dirt is not a problem as I will ride mostly on the street and like you said, I could always clean it.

Hi Viz it is. IF available in whatever jacket I find 'cause the size is going to be a problem.

Any suggestions for a waterproof jacket (preferably one that is well vented so I can use it all year round)
that accomodates huges guts and HOPEFULLY that doesn't cost too much?

Thanks

MrBob 12-31-2012 10:57 AM

My touring jacket and mesh jacket are both high-viz. My impression is that incidences of being tailgated and cut off in traffic have dropped significantly with these jackets.
If I was younger and there was still a chance I could be cool I might be reluctant to wear a pulsating color, but that's behind me.
I also use a white helmet for the increased visibility and to reduce the heat gain in the Colorado sunshine.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:09 PM.