ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Insurance (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852857)

everycredit 01-03-2013 03:53 AM

Insurance

It's been nagging at me for quite a while--I should get insurance for the bike, especially if I want to leave the state (legally).

Fellow Washingtonians: who do you recommend? Who actually had to "use" their insurance and how was it to deal with the insurer?

Thanks.

HotChilliColdBeer 01-03-2013 05:38 AM

I did

And without it woulda been in a rather large financial hole.

Long story short, some uninsured dickwad decided to hit and run on my ass. Totaled the bike and gear (helmet, jacket, pants), shoulder surgeries. I burned every penny of my motorcycle 'Un/underinsured' policy. My auto insurance kicked in to help cover the costs, there were that many $ bills. All because dickwad was late for work and didn't know what the mirrors in the car are for.

I have since upped my policy coverage, $50,000 will go quick when you go under the knife. I look at it this way - $200-300 a year is cheap when you're sitting at home unable to work for 3 months. Knowing the coverage would take care of the bills was worth it.

Regarding dealing with the insurance company, there was good and bad. The adjuster and the bike/gear settlement was very good. The medical/out of work settlement, that was a JOKE. Progressive sucks balls. They fought me every step of the way. I attribute it to the business model of ' Do everything you can to not pay a claim.'

That just my story.

Charlie

Handy 01-03-2013 08:05 AM

Do you not have any insurance, not even liability? There is no reason for that, I have state minimum liability on one bike, it is $15 per year. My other bike has full coverage with $100 deductible for $110 per year. I have never made a claim so I can't say how it is to deal with the insurance company in that regard.

Scott_PDX 01-03-2013 08:16 AM

Are you talking a dirt bike or a street bike? If street, then of course the answer is YES! Liability insurance is required for street bikes and protects the rest of us.

Handy 01-03-2013 08:39 AM

Wow, I had no idea!

Exceptions

You donít need to have insurance when you operate a vehicle registered as any of the following:

WeeMcD 01-03-2013 09:29 AM

The state of Washington does not require insurance on motorcycles. Just realize that it's your own assets and life at risk. I believe that all surrounding states require insurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handy (Post 20385631)
Wow, I had no idea!

Exceptions

You donít need to have insurance when you operate a vehicle registered as any of the following:

turnsleft 01-03-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeeMcD (Post 20386006)
The state of Washington does not require insurance on motorcycles. Just realize that it's your own assets and life at risk. I believe that all surrounding states require insurance.

It is against the law to get in a wreck with out insurance.

Three bikes with Allstate.

Lumberjeff 01-03-2013 12:42 PM

I have and have used Nationwide. I have had to use them for a motorcycle and a car accident. They did great both times.

WeeMcD 01-03-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnsleft (Post 20387328)
It is against the law to get in a wreck with out insurance.

Three bikes with Allstate.

It's against the law to not have insurance for a car in Washington, but motorcycles don't require insurance. The law posted above is correct.

Double H 01-03-2013 01:39 PM

maybe WA lets us ride without insurance, but it's illegal to wreck without it:lol3

BigDave75 01-03-2013 01:45 PM

Two words: State Farm

HotChilliColdBeer 01-03-2013 05:34 PM

Paging Tod701

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double H (Post 20387793)
maybe WA lets us ride without insurance, but it's illegal to wreck without it:lol3

Tod - True of false?

Charlie

oldmonkeybut 01-03-2013 06:02 PM

You may be able to ride in Wa. without insurance but don't cross the border. Even if you live elsewhere, Oregon requires insurance to ride here.

Maxacceleration 01-03-2013 07:22 PM

I use AAA insurance. They use Progressive for my bike.
I have also used GMAC for my bike. It was cheap at the time.
Progressive is cheaper now.
Look at AAA, they are more than maps & towing. I have saved considerably on everything insured with them.
I have also learned not to underinsure. I was broken up pretty good and needed more coverage (not to mention the people that hit me were underinsured also).

Its your risk... You feeling lucky?

turnsleft 01-03-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double H (Post 20387793)

Last I remember from my ins guy, one needs ins and proof of ins for cars/trucks and such and ins but no proof of ins for motorcycles. That was a few years ago and could be just the last thing in my not so good memory.

Any way I have ins on 3 dual~sports for way less by switching from where I was[for 35 yrs].:D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:45 AM.