ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Front Sprocket & Loctite (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853314)

TrappedAtWork 01-05-2013 01:19 AM

Front Sprocket & Loctite

Righto, purchased my DRZ second hand about 8 months ago, 6000 km of happy riding and things have been going great.

Time for a new chain and sprockets... the bike has about 17,000 km. So I assume that the factory chain and sprockets are on the bike.

I have come to remove the front sprocket and found that the sprocket itself has been loctited on to the drive shaft!

We have attempted to:

A) remove the sprocket by hand
B) lever the sprocket off using screw drivers
C) spray with WD-40 and lever the sprocket off with screw drivers
D) shock the sprocket with a hammer and socket then lever off
E) combine loud swearing with A through D

Is this normal for a DRZ?

Does anyone have anymore ideas?
Heat Pistol?
Steering Wheel Puller?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l...105_182413.jpg

Navin 01-05-2013 01:23 AM

I'd try the heat gun next followed by a torch on the sprocket, don't let too much soak into the shaft if you can help it.

katbeanz 01-05-2013 01:42 AM

I'd use a 3 jaw puller and an impact wrench, 1st gear, a leather glove and wrap some of the old chain around there to give it enough mass for the impact to work against. :1drink

gsweave 01-05-2013 03:52 AM

Heat and ya sure it isn't lefthanded threads?

If not add more torque, my 650 took a three foot extension to break free

dmn0507 01-05-2013 04:32 AM

Did you try to rotate the cs backwards (engine in gear, tap the sprocket teeth clockwise)? it might lock itself there if there is some wear on the splines + loctite.

To remove the loctite I'd try to use a little propane torch and apply localized heat just near the splines, anyways i think that a gear puller would greatly help.

Unstable Rider 01-05-2013 04:35 AM

:evil Is the nut off?

Hennepinboy 01-05-2013 05:21 AM

Heat

Heat the sprocket not the shaft with a torch, tap on the edges of the sprocket with a hammer. It will break free. Be careful that you do not get it hot enough to damage the seal.

dirty_sanchez 01-05-2013 06:06 AM

[QUOTE=dmn0507;20400239
To remove the loctite I'd try to use a little propane torch and apply localized heat just near the splines, anyways i think that a gear puller would greatly help.[/QUOTE]

Ding Ding Ding!

Situate yourself so that you can apply equal amounts of prying pressure on opposite sides of the sprocket without the risk of damaging the engine case, bike frame, fingers...OR a suitably sized mechanical puller of some sort.

Set up the puller with some gentle pulling force and turn on the heat.

Get one of those small tipped propane torches, the kind crackheads use, and heat the sprocket NOT the shaft. Heat the sprocket until you see that first whisp of smoke coming from the suspect anaerobic product and apply a bit more pulling force if it didn't already come off.

PM me with your number and I'll talk it through with you if you like.

If you didn't know, I am a factory rep for Loctite and chief purveyor of new age hocus pokus.

Dirty

TrappedAtWork 01-05-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsweave (Post 20400136)
Heat and ya sure it isn't lefthanded threads?

If not add more torque, my 650 took a three foot extension to break free

Thanks, but the nut is already off. I am attempting to slide the front sprocket off the main shaft. There are small splines that hold the sprocket in place.

I did use a three foot extention to "break" the nut.

TrappedAtWork 01-05-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hennepinboy (Post 20400484)
Heat the sprocket not the shaft with a torch, tap on the edges of the sprocket with a hammer. It will break free. Be careful that you do not get it hot enough to damage the seal.

This is my fear with heating. I do not want to damage the seal behind the sprocket.

TrappedAtWork 01-05-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez (Post 20400736)
Ding Ding Ding!

Situate yourself so that you can apply equal amounts of prying pressure on opposite sides of the sprocket without the risk of damaging the engine case, bike frame, fingers...OR a suitably sized mechanical puller of some sort.

Set up the puller with some gentle pulling force and turn on the heat.

Get one of those small tipped propane torches, the kind crackheads use, and heat the sprocket NOT the shaft. Heat the sprocket until you see that first whisp of smoke coming from the suspect anaerobic product and apply a bit more pulling force if it didn't already come off.

PM me with your number and I'll talk it through with you if you like.

If you didn't know, I am a factory rep for Loctite and chief purveyor of new age hocus pokus.

Dirty

Thanks!

I have found a gear puller at Supercheap. I will be down there this morning to pick one up.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...41#Description

Since a few people have mentioned heat, I will try heat in combination with the puller.

And thanks for the offer of a chat. I am in Brisbane Australia, and will take you up on that if things get desperate (Skype? :D).

timsgs 01-05-2013 02:36 PM

A small 3 jaw puller is all you need, should come right off, it's common practice to put red loctite on the sprocket itself. If not done the sprocket rocks and gets even looser on the splines , after a while it takes out the seal. the nut has nothing to do with this known problem. Go over to thumper talk for more info. Good luck

whisperquiet 01-05-2013 02:58 PM

This is why it was loctited.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/540...t-loctite-fix/

WayneJ 01-05-2013 04:13 PM

You should be asking your DRZ questions here:
ADV Drz400 Thread

or here:
Thumper Talk DRZ-400 forum

I highly recommend reading the FAQ that is linked at the top of the TT page. :nod

OldPete 01-05-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hennepinboy (Post 20400484)

This... it takes about 600f to break down loctite.
If the seal lip feels hard, replace it.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:44 PM.