ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Adventure helmet(s)? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853850)

jacoba331 01-07-2013 10:22 AM

Adventure helmet(s)?

i currently have a HJC flip up and after 70k miles of wind and dirt its about that time... im looking at the dual sport helmets that have the bill on top. any suggestions on great helmets? I commute in cold most mornings (when the minivan gets redundant), mostly have tunes in and do a 10 day offroad ride every year. id like to spend less than 350 (any more and id rather get a schuberth).

are these things waterproof? too noisy for misic/communication systems? what are the advantages of these type of helmets besides the badass look and the sun visor?' even worth it overall?

u the man

hscrugby 01-07-2013 11:58 AM

I have a "cheaper" dual sport helmet.
Meh.
I usually end up wearing a regular lid for commuting, and most riding.
When dual sporting, the visor flips up, and I can wear goggles, which is nice.
But I'd be better served with a proper dirt bike helmet for the dirt, and a full face for the commuting.
At high speeds the DS helmet gets tiring. Lots more wind buffeting and wind noise.
At least that's my take on it. I still wear it a lot, and its better for off roading even without the goggles than a normal helmet, partly since the chin is further out, it doesn't fog up as easy.

frog13 01-07-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hscrugby (Post 20419946)
I have a "cheaper" dual sport helmet.
Meh.
I usually end up wearing a regular lid for commuting, and most riding.
When dual sporting, the visor flips up, and I can wear goggles, which is nice.
But I'd be better served with a proper dirt bike helmet for the dirt, and a full face for the commuting.
At high speeds the DS helmet gets tiring. Lots more wind buffeting and wind noise.
At least that's my take on it. I still wear it a lot, and its better for off roading even without the goggles than a normal helmet, partly since the chin is further out, it doesn't fog up as easy.

Agree....especially the "peaks" wind buffeting....my experience with this has been above 50 mph....under 50 mph and your fine.
Agree on the flip up visor--face shield-- and the use of goggles(versatility).

GMAX has decent helmets(GM-11d----GM-11s)...Shoei,AFX, Arai($$$$$),FLY and several more I can't remember!.

Where in Cincy are you ....Approx.............I'm in Clermont.

mookybird 01-07-2013 12:48 PM

I like my gmax, I used it on a 2 week ride that covered a bit over 5000 miles on an unfaired xr400. I ran in temps around 100 and a couple of days well over.

It flows a lot of air and I don't think the visor is bad for lifting or turbulance, certainly more than my Arai Profile but I had no complaints with it.

What i haven't done with it is run in all day rain which is where I really find myself liking or disliking gear.

The gmax windshield raises all the way up into the visor so it's out of your line of sight, not all do. I also thought the visor was a little lower on the horizon than some of the others I tried on "which I like" even at that I did a quick easy mod to get it lower yet. Heres a picture of the mod and another I think in Death Valley "not sure"

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps65497f05.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps9924c076.jpg

cliffy109 01-07-2013 02:36 PM

I keep considering a DS helmet myself. I am mostly a commuter who might go off road a couple times a year. What keeps me considering it is that I commute into the sun both morning and evening. A peak that actually blocks the sun seems like a no-brainer. It is worse during certain times of the year (fall and spring) and a I can't tell you how many times I've wanted a bit of extra shading.

I haven't done it because there are also a lot of downsides (buffeting, too much venting in the winter and no sunshade like my C3) but that one feature is pretty tempting for me.

jacoba331 01-14-2013 08:32 AM

Where in Cincy are you ....Approx.............I'm in Clermont.[/QUOTE]

im in mt lookout

cchoc 01-14-2013 10:00 AM

I have a Shoei Hornet DS and like it, but be advised that the bill on a DS helment is not as long as the ones on off road helmets, so you get some shade but don't expect it to be like a ball cap. When I get over 55mph I can definitely tell the bill is there, especially when I look to the side, but it isn't so bad as to make it unwearable. Plus, you can remove the bill if you want to.

el queso 01-14-2013 11:26 AM

The Shoei Hornet DS and the Arai XD4 are probably the best DS helmets on the market, but there are other good options as well. Pick the one that fits your head and finances. I've got plenty of road miles with a DS helmet and I get a little head buffeting, but it's not bad.

trc.rhubarb 01-14-2013 11:30 AM

My XD4 has a bigger peak than the Shoei (was a deciding factor) and the helmet has no more buffeting than my RF1000 or my Shark Evoline 2. I can't believe i lived without a peak for so long. Commuting is so much better during dawn/dusk

teambft 01-14-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb (Post 20481920)
My XD4 has a bigger peak than the Shoei (was a deciding factor) and the helmet has no more buffeting than my RF1000 or my Shark Evoline 2. I can't believe i lived without a peak for so long. Commuting is so much better during dawn/dusk

+1 on the Arai XD. Got an XD3 and love it!!!!

tjzondrz 01-15-2013 05:44 AM

I also have a Hornet DS helmet.It is very well made and the fit is perfect.Some wind movement above 50 MPH,but not bad at all.
Buy the best you can afford,and alway's wear it.
Ride often & smile.:1drink

Law Dawg (ret) 01-15-2013 08:53 AM

I have the Hornet and had I to do it all over again would not. Leaks and fogs like crazy in cold/wet (no matter how well I anti fog treat and adjust the face shield) and is tough on the neck at highway speeds. Might have one for dirt only (the face shield is great for those of us who wear glasses) but probably a regular Moto X would work best. Even then I would want to wear my regular full face to get to the dirt if the distance is anything at all.

biensur22 01-15-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) (Post 20489749)
I have the Hornet and had I to do it all over again would not. Leaks and fogs like crazy in cold/wet (no matter how well I anti fog treat and adjust the face shield) and is tough on the neck at highway speeds. Might have one for dirt only (the face shield is great for those of us who wear glasses) but probably a regular Moto X would work best. Even then I would want to wear my regular full face to get to the dirt if the distance is anything at all.

+1
I got the shoei because it fit my head best, but unfortunately I'm a little disappointed. It's loud at highway speed, that goes hand in hand with the other negative effects of a peak, but the peak is also pretty short and doesn't block much sun. My largest complaint is that I can't fit a set of goggles in them. Only option is sunglasses with the shield down. Also, the grooves for glasses sit too high in the helmet so when I do wear shades they are pressed uncomfortably between my temples and the cheek pads.

Important takeaway: go try them on with the gear you plan to use, and be honest with yourself about what you can/cannot deal with. Good luck.

~TABASCO~ 01-15-2013 09:31 PM

Ive been doing lots of home work and I think its down to the ICON Variant... But down here in TX we need the venting that this helmet does really well with.. Not sure you would like it in the cold and wet. But for fun you might want to look at them. They start about 350 I found...

Motorcyclist72 01-16-2013 04:38 AM

I have an Arai XD4. I wear it every day. With my Gopro on top. No issues to speak of.

2012 BMW R1200 GS Adventure. Triple Black. 22,000

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:51 AM.