ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   690 Starting issues (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854481)

777 01-09-2013 10:36 PM

690 Starting issues

If my bike is cold , standing over night will start on first or second press of stater button , but if hot have to press 4 or 5 times , BUT if you turn bike off with button on handle bars and leave ignition key switch on then bike starts one time when hot , so only battle to start when hot if turn key off , but if key remains in ON position it starts fine , any ideas ??

777 01-10-2013 07:35 AM

Wow must be a seruois problem 115 view no replies??

Bigbugberg 01-10-2013 07:36 AM

Read through the 690 Wunderfest.

Lots of good information there

777 01-10-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbugberg (Post 20444519)
Read through the 690 Wunderfest.

Lots of good information there

I have searched this forum and others, lots of info, but non on my specfic issue, thanks

Harpoonalt 01-10-2013 07:47 AM

I amost didn't look because I hate looking up words I don't know.

Yellow Pig 01-10-2013 08:04 AM

Sounds like it's having problems w/ too much fuel. If you leave the bike on the fuel pump does not cycle, but when you turn it on and off it cycles to pressurize the system.

That's all I got, sorry.

yuu 01-10-2013 08:12 AM

How about some more info on the bike?

Year? Miles? Age of the battery? Fuel filter replaced? Fuel injector cleaned? Exhaust or intake mods?

777 01-10-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuu (Post 20444840)
How about some more info on the bike?

Year? Miles? Age of the battery? Fuel filter replaced? Fuel injector cleaned? Exhaust or intake mods?

2008 13 000km, valves check and mapping and TPS, auto decompresstion checked, battery 16 months, still strong, after market exhaust(Doma) fuel injector cleaned with injection fluid, no intake mods.

777 01-10-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Pig (Post 20444770)
Sounds like it's having problems w/ too much fuel. If you leave the bike on the fuel pump does not cycle, but when you turn it on and off it cycles to pressurize the system.

That's all I got, sorry.

Could be correct as when i try start it i smell petrol, solutions??

yuu 01-10-2013 09:22 AM

Fuel filter?

And you've cleaned the injector with in-tank fluids - vs removing it and having it professionally cleaned?

What mappings are you using?

yuu 01-10-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 777 (Post 20445371)
Could be correct as when i try start it i smell petrol, solutions??

I'm pondering that you may have a fouled injector that isn't producing a fine easy to ignite spray. Instead it's producing a harder to burn dribble

777 01-10-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuu (Post 20445498)
I'm pondering that you may have a fouled injector that isn't producing a fine easy to ignite spray. Instead it's producing a harder to burn dribble

Correct i have not had th einjector profesinally cleaned, i did put new filters in, i am using map 3. I agree the injecotrs could be dirty, but why would that make a diffence that it starts if i leave ignition ON, but if i turn key off an dthen on again it battles to start, and i do wait for it for it to cycle through.

yuu 01-10-2013 10:41 AM

Map 3 meaning? Just the #3 selection on the under-seat switch?

I was referring to the alternative fuel and throttle table mappings one can upload to the bike with TuneECU or similar program. If you're running the factory installed maps, with an aftermarket exhaust it can cause some minor issues - but not always.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the state of your injector is directly related to you issue. But at much less milage mine was in a rather sad state - so it is probably not helping.

It does sound like fuel pressure may be the root cause. As noted when you turn the bike on from the key, the pump runs briefly. If you cut the ignition (at the bars) but leave the key to run then it does not. Which would lead one to conclude that too much pressure might be the problem - but that seems counter intuitive.

Is it feasible of you to test the fuel pressure?

777 01-10-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuu (Post 20446224)
Map 3 meaning? Just the #3 selection on the under-seat switch?

I was referring to the alternative fuel and throttle table mappings one can upload to the bike with TuneECU or similar program. If you're running the factory installed maps, with an aftermarket exhaust it can cause some minor issues - but not always.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the state of your injector is directly related to you issue. But at much less milage mine was in a rather sad state - so it is probably not helping.

It does sound like fuel pressure may be the root cause. As noted when you turn the bike on from the key, the pump runs briefly. If you cut the ignition (at the bars) but leave the key to run then it does not. Which would lead one to conclude that too much pressure might be the problem - but that seems counter intuitive.

Is it feasible of you to test the fuel pressure?

Txs for feed back, give me something to work and and to tell the workshop

yuu 01-10-2013 10:58 AM

If you're not in a rush - I'd have the injector out and professionally serviced. I just did mine - it's about $22 US

The shop replaced the o-rings, replaced the stock plastic screen which was noted as disintegrated with a stainless steel, tested it before and after, providing a report and of course cleaned it. It looked like it had just rolled out of the factory.

It's pretty easy to remove the injector - no need for a shop to do that

Regarding fuel pressure - the tech manual has the fuel pressure and flow rate in it as well as the test procedure. A shop should have the equipment to do the testing - but you should ask them if they have it as not all might.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:20 AM.