ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Asia Pacific (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Flying bike and rider from Central Asia to Nepal or India (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855016)

Mark Manley 01-12-2013 08:03 AM

Flying bike and rider from Central Asia to Nepal or India

I have more or less planned a trip from the UK to Mongolia next summer but was wondering what to do when I get there. I have no interest in carrying on to Vladivostok so the options seem to be turn around and come back via a different route or preferably get to India for the winter. This would involve teaming up to travel through China to Pakistan which would be my first choice but as I am travelling on a Honda XR 125 with a cruising speed of 45-50 mph cannot see anybody wanting me with them. Alternatively flying my bike and myself to Kathmandu or Delhi from a Central Asia airport, does anybody have experience of the latter? I cannot find any direct flights between Central Asian cities and either India or Nepal, any suggestions?

Witold 01-13-2013 03:51 PM

How are you searching for flights?

There are tons of regional airports that don't show up on western website flight search engines. You have to go to their websites directly.

Search for "country"+"airlines" and go to the wikipedia webpage. Then go to their websites to see what flights they have.

Pecha72 01-17-2013 11:09 PM

Very few people seem to freight bikes from Central Asia... is that maybe because, well, it´s “central”, so you´re not hitting any sea shore? My friend had an accident there a few years ago, and he had to freight his bike back (from Kazakhstan, if I remember correct). Thought it was a pain to arrange, and cost a small fortune, though I haven´t heard the numbers.

Also sending to India could be interesting. I´ve sent out of India by air, and I assume that could be a bit easier than sending in. But it was still a lot of work, the customs I mean! Think I´d much rather send to Kathmandu Nepal, many travellers send bikes betweeen Kathmandu and Bangkok, and reports are generally good.

BTW, your bike goes as fast as you´ll ever need to go in Pakistan or India... I´m not so sure, that your low top speed would really be the factor, that´ll prevent you teaming up with others to do the short bit through China to Pakistan.

Mark Manley 01-18-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecha72 (Post 20514392)
Very few people seem to freight bikes from Central Asia... is that maybe because, well, it´s “central”, so you´re not hitting any sea shore? My friend had an accident there a few years ago, and he had to freight his bike back (from Kazakhstan, if I remember correct). Thought it was a pain to arrange, and cost a small fortune, though I haven´t heard the numbers.

Also sending to India could be interesting. I´ve sent out of India by air, and I assume that could be a bit easier than sending in. But it was still a lot of work, the customs I mean! Think I´d much rather send to Kathmandu Nepal, many travellers send bikes betweeen Kathmandu and Bangkok, and reports are generally good.

BTW, your bike goes as fast as you´ll ever need to go in Pakistan or India... I´m not so sure, that your low top speed would really be the factor, that´ll prevent you teaming up with others to do the short bit through China to Pakistan.

Yes I should have said more specifically Nepal, having flown my bike out of there in the past know it is fairly straightforward.
I know my Honda XR125 will be an ideal bike for India but was concerned that the road in China was pretty good and my 70-80 kph cruising speed would not be enough, I have since been told guided trips travel at quite a steady speed and this should not be a problem, I am also looking into sharing a guide across to Pakistan.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:27 AM.