ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How do I unload the HF table lift by myself? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855197)

MaestroPNW 01-12-2013 10:26 PM

How do I unload the HF table lift by myself?

The thing, I suppose, is HEAVY. I'm planning on renting a Home Depot truck, or a U-Haul with a ramp, and I think that they'll load it for me at the store.. how do I get it out though. Is there really a way to do it alone? How many people do I need?

rapidoxidationman 01-12-2013 10:34 PM

levers, rollers, a friend or two and a 6 pack of beer or a piece at a time.

Is it already assembled?

Helipilot 01-12-2013 10:35 PM

I used an engine lift I have in the shop. Another approach might be to call the local manpower office and get a couple of guys for half a day. The third way might be to just unpack the table on the truck and unload the pieces individually. My HF table was in a couple of pieces but the main unit with the base was very heavy and you need to have help to either tilt it up on edge to install the casters or lift each end with a jack. Good Luck and don't strain your back.

JimVonBaden 01-12-2013 11:04 PM

I opened the crate in the bed of the truck, and pulled it out in pieces. The main part you drag to the edge, let it lie on some ply wood on the ground, then hold the end up as you have someone drive out from under it. OK, so not exactly alone! It is heavy, but not that bad. Maybe 125 pounds lifting one end only.

Jim :brow

trc.rhubarb 01-12-2013 11:11 PM

Haha, my lift is so heavy (CL purchase) we had to buy the trailer it was on because 3 of us couldn't get one side of it more than 2" off the ground.

The HF is heavy but not terribly... buy a couple 2x4's to use as levers/ramps and you should be fine... unless you have to take it up stairs.

greywolf 01-13-2013 12:00 AM

I pulled the trailer into the garage, ran a rope around the crate to a couple of wall studs and drove the trailer out from under it. Then I cut the crate from around it. I don't remember details after that but the rest is easy in comparison.

NoVa Rider 01-13-2013 12:33 AM

I removed the crate from a pickup with myself and two kids. Pulled the light end out the back of the truck bed until the crate teetered to the ground. Then, me on one side, 2 kids on the other, and slide the remainder off. Gravity is taking the heavy end to the ground anyway, so you and your helper are only softening the landing. . .. :clap

vfxdog 01-13-2013 03:04 AM

Slid the crate down my aluminum bike ramp from the pickup bed. Did the rest with prybars and bits of 4X2.

74C5 01-13-2013 08:29 AM

Slide it out onto a raised floor jack.

boardrider247 01-13-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greywolf (Post 20470143)
I pulled the trailer into the garage, ran a rope around the crate to a couple of wall studs and drove the trailer out from under it. Then I cut the crate from around it. I don't remember details after that but the rest is easy in comparison.

X2

That's how I did it:clap

9Dave 01-13-2013 02:55 PM

I wouldn't want to dead lift the whole thing, but I loaded it onto my trailer recently by lifting one end up and in, then the other.

MaestroPNW 01-13-2013 04:39 PM

So, how about this - I back the truck enough to put the end of the ramp into the garage. Undo the crate in the truck, then drag the heaviest part down the ramp with a come-along.

rapidoxidationman 01-13-2013 05:12 PM

What is the actual weight of the box???

wee-twin 01-13-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfxdog (Post 20470526)
Slid the crate down my aluminum bike ramp from the pickup bed. Did the rest with prybars and bits of 4X2.

I would go with that method. I use straps to keep ramps from sliding on tailgate or remove tailgate and rest 2x boards on rear bumper if you do not have ramps.

CaptTeach 01-13-2013 06:38 PM

While you are at HF also buy a hand truck - slide out of pickup and land it on the dolly - roll to assembly location Dollies come in SOoooooooooooooo handy moving stuff around the shop

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:08 AM.