ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Scotts Damper Magic Settings For 950 SE? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856574)

Two Moto Kiwis 01-18-2013 02:50 PM

Scotts Damper Magic Settings For 950 SE?

Good afternoon Ocers

Have been searching for info, seems to be a lot of too and fro but no definitive setting(s) or recommended setting(s).

Was there any general consensus amongst the SE crowd about good general settings or set up?

I have been tinkering with it but not having had a Scotts before I am in new territory.

Cheers all.

Nowwhat 01-18-2013 06:32 PM

11 clicks in from full soft

traveltoad 01-18-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowwhat (Post 20521649)
11 clicks in from full soft

+1... then adjust a click or two in either direction to personal taste.

Two Moto Kiwis 01-18-2013 08:59 PM

Ok will set that as a start point, the sweep control is at 6 oclock allowing full swing damping, also any recommended start point for the high speed given they cross over.

We are only RTWing on road, gravel road and some small amount of softer stuff we found on Baja today :eek1 ... hence my questions.

Thanks all.

Hondo 01-19-2013 08:50 AM

On my ADV, I increased the main/right knob until the shake/swim on gravel stopped.

One of the best upgrades that I have installed.

geometrician 01-19-2013 09:33 AM

Each Magician Creates His Own Magic

The settings vary from rider to rider, and road to road, and even temperature as the oil thickens in the cold

I have my sweep screws set (3 o'clock?) so the damper isn't restricting turning at full-lock so slow, tight maneuvering isn't damped. This is how they are shipped

Scotts has about 3 full turns on the main(right) adjuster, I find that 2 turns out is a good starting point for pavement. By pulling the black plastic pointer off the knob you can reposition it so it is easy to adjust on the fly. Once I hit the gravel I turn it out about 1/2 turn to increase damping, and in gnarly stuff (esp at speed as in Baja) I turn the knob out more, occasionally to full damping. When you get back onto terra firma turn it back down to your base setting.

On the 950 Adv I run it sub-mounted on the BRP/Scotts upper triple clamp, and have the pointer set so it starts at about 2 o'clock (where it runs into the handlebar clamp) and the "sweet spot" for gravel at about 6 o'clock, and the full damping at 10/11 o'clock. The KLR doesn't require as much damping (I have 2 Scotts dampers) as the Adv.

Contrary to myth deceleration head-shake isn't totally fixed, and tire pressures/suspension setup (or, rather, lack thereof) will continue to introduce it. The damper keeps the oscillating energy from quickly turning into a tank-slapper as an undamped bike would.

Have fun & eat a ton of tacos pescados for me, all washed down by Clara Pacifico- I miss Baja!!! (6 times the full length of the peninsula for me)

Two Moto Kiwis 01-19-2013 02:02 PM

Thanks guys, I have been slowly tuning it in for our use, understand differing factors have huge results just wanted to start somewhere valid ...no point in reinventing there wheel eh.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 AM.